Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hercules blue dot

Boolit Buddy

hercules blue dot

I found some hercules blue dot unopened can at an estate sale. I have been reading about and seem like I should be ok, if I start low and work my way up using Allaint blue dot data. I will be loading 180 and 165 grain jacketed bullets in a 10mm in a glock. thanks for any input. rrh

It's a favorite. If it isn't what you want, some .357Magun shooter will jump right on it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    It's a favorite. If it isn't what you want, some .357Magun shooter will jump right on it.
    Or.. someone who loads upper/mid range 44 mag or 45 Win Mag

Boolit Master

For some odd reason, back when the earth was new, Load data was withdrawn by Hercules for 41 mag loadings . It seemed to be okay for 357 mag and 44 mag but not 41 mag.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Grand Master

In the 44 Magnum 17 gr of BD does everything 22 gr of 2400 will under a 429421. I have actually pressure tested it.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...s-Alliant-test
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    Or.. someone who loads upper/mid range 44 mag or 45 Win Mag
    True.
    But I was always a Blue Dot in .357, and 110 in .44Mag sort of guy.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Master
    I use Alliant Blue Dot for full throttle 10mm loads with 165 gr JHPs, 165 gr and 175 gr boolits. I expect your Hercules Blue Dot will work great for you in 10mm ….. even if you’re using a Glock. Ha!
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Blue Dot in full throttle 12 gauge slug loads. If you can handle the recoil. 357 magnum loads, 44 magnum also. Soon as I find some more, I’ll buy some more. I think you’ll like it.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    True.
    But I was always a Blue Dot in .357, and 110 in .44Mag sort of guy.
    All Good...I am exactly opposite?? Maybe I'm more recoil sensitive??

Boolit Master
    Blue dot's all I use for 9mm Luger. I've used it in 357 mag with good results, but mostly load mid range cast loads with HS-6 for the revolver.

Blue Dot works well in the .45 Colt! On of my favorite loads for revolver and rifle is 12.9gr with a 250, or a 255gr cast bullet.

Some light reading from awhile back:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-with-Blue-Dot

I too acquired a big can of Blue Dot for not much money at a garage sale and went looking for load data that was not sky-busting goose killing loads. Up to that point 12 gauge big boomers was my only familiarity with Blue Dot.

Lotta stuff Blue Dot will do.

Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by shooting on a shoestring View Post
    .. even if you’re using a Glock. Ha!
    Just stop it.
    Tupperware guns need love too.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by frkelly74 View Post
    For some odd reason, back when the earth was new, Load data was withdrawn by Hercules for 41 mag loadings . It seemed to be okay for 357 mag and 44 mag but not 41 mag.
    This myth is getting to be like Paul Bunyan. Every time it is told the story strays farther from reality.

In 2008 Alliant (not Hercules) found that a few loads for 357 mag 125gr, and apparently too many 41 mag loads were testing over SAMMI maximum pressure. They issued a warning not to use those loads, pulled them from the website, and promised to update their data eventually.

That is all there is. No more, no less.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    This myth is getting to be like Paul Bunyan. Every time it is told the story strays farther from reality.

In 2008 Alliant (not Hercules) found that a few loads for 357 mag 125gr, and apparently too many 41 mag loads were testing over SAMMI maximum pressure. They issued a warning not to use those loads, pulled them from the website, and promised to update their data eventually.

That is all there is. No more, no less.
    Yes, back then several over on Accuratereloading forums were doing a lot of reduced loading with Blue Dot including a fellow with a then new Pressure Trace system. He was getting what he thought were "pressure spikes". The problem was with his set up and his misunderstanding, if not ignorance, of what he was actually seeing in the pressure traces [time pressure curves]. That included the 357 and 41 Magnums. What he failed to realize was the "spikes" he was seeing were from vibrations in the barrel acting on the strain gauge after the bullet left the barrel and the pressure had dropped off. That phenomenon is nothing new and has been observed since the first oscilloscopes were used many years ago in pressure testing.

I talked to a technician at Alliant back then about the warning that Alliant had issued regarding the use of Blue Dot in the 357 and 41 Magnum cartridges. He stated Alliant had not actually tested the loads with Blue Dot but simply playing it safe because of the reported "pressure spikes". I have also thoroughly pressure tested Blue Dot [Herculese and Alliant] in both of those cartridges and have not had or seen any actual "pressure spikes". I have a jug of Blue Dot and will continue to use it in the 357, 41 and 44 Magnum cartridges along with several other cartridges.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Yes, back then several over on Accuratereloading forums were doing a lot of reduced loading with Blue Dot including a fellow with a then new Pressure Trace system. He was getting what he thought were "pressure spikes". The problem was with his set up and his misunderstanding, if not ignorance, of what he was actually seeing in the pressure traces [time pressure curves]. That included the 357 and 41 Magnums. What he failed to realize was the "spikes" he was seeing were from vibrations in the barrel acting on the strain gauge after the bullet left the barrel and the pressure had dropped off. That phenomenon is nothing new and has been observed since the first oscilloscopes were used many years ago in pressure testing.

I talked to a technician at Alliant back then about the warning that Alliant had issued regarding the use of Blue Dot in the 357 and 41 Magnum cartridges. He stated Alliant had not actually tested the loads with Blue Dot but simply playing it safe because of the reported "pressure spikes". I have also thoroughly pressure tested Blue Dot [Herculese and Alliant] in both of those cartridges and have not had or seen any actual "pressure spikes". I have a jug of Blue Dot and will continue to use it in the 357, 41 and 44 Magnum cartridges along with several other cartridges.
    And... There we have it...Done.
    Thank you one more time Larry!!!

BTW the only load I reworked with New vs Old Blue Dot, is that 7.+ 38Spl loading... I simply reproduced the Velocity obtained with the Hercules powder..fat, dumb, and Happy

Boolit Master

Thank you Larry, I thought someone would have an explanation. Happy new year!!!
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master

I think you will like it. Good find.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    In the 44 Magnum 17 gr of BD does everything 22 gr of 2400 will under a 429421. I have actually pressure tested it.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...s-Alliant-test
    What Larry said! For magnum pistol or carbine loads why ever would you burn 20% MORE #2400 when Blue Dot will do the same thing and burn cleaner? One of my favorite powders!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Buddy

Along with the others, I too appreciate you clearing the air Larry! I never bought into the .41 mag Blue Dot warnings and continue to use it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast