MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How/where do you store your ingots?

In one pound ingots loaded in 50# wooden chests the same size as .30cal ammo cans.
    1000 #'s or so like that. And then 500# or so of pure Pb as 1.25# ingots in old russian ammo crates and 300# of 50/50 bar solder in wooden crates of 50# each. All stacked nice and neat in the garage.
    Casting for .38 spec, .44 spec/mag, .45 Colt, 38-55, 45-70 and .50ML.... and the boy's slingshot.
    Shake'n'bake powder coating is amazing. Thank you to the guys that developed and shared the process.

Boolit Bub
    I have lead stored in 55 gal barrels, 30 gal barrels, 5 gal pails, wood boxes, on the floor. Wherever I have space out of the way. I make shot so I have a large accumulation.

Boolit Buddy
    I don't have anything near as much as you. I haven't been casting long so I just stack my ingots in the garage for a year. By then, I've segregated the ingots by source and hardness. When it rains, I pour - bullets. I powder coat and store my bullets in coffee bags until I'm ready to shoot.

Boolit Master
    My stock at home is in my unfinished above grade crawl space that’s tall enough to stand and walk around in (hillside home). Some of it is on the foundation’s sill plate, but most is sitting on pavers on top of a gravel and sand base. It’s dry enough down there that I haven’t done anything except stack the ingots by content (each ingot is stamped). There’s finished casting alloy as well as base lead, pewter and antimony alloys.

I’m fortunate that I’m allowed to store other lead inside a shipping container at my club.

Boolit Master

Mine are stored in metal 50 caliber ammo cans.
    These are placed on my concrete shop floor.

No longer living in the High Country, Australia, a lowlander now.
    Plastic milk crates are my go-to for storage & if I have to move them I use a hand trolly.
    Only had one house move in the last 50 years, so not a big problem........

"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    My stock at home is in my unfinished above grade crawl space that’s tall enough to stand and walk around in (hillside home). Some of it is on the foundation’s sill plate, but most is sitting on pavers on top of a gravel and sand base. It’s dry enough down there that I haven’t done anything except stack the ingots by content (each ingot is stamped). There’s finished casting alloy as well as base lead, pewter and antimony alloys.

I’m fortunate that I’m allowed to store other lead inside a shipping container at my club.
    An unfinished above grade crawlspace is kind of a contradiction of terms. To me that is a basement. If you can stand up in it then it is a basement, at least to me it is.

Boolit Grand Master

Plastic storage boxes with the handle snap lids about the size of a shoe box. Separate ingots according to what they are and written on the top in marker. Stacked under pouring bench in the garage. Each box holds 30lbs I think or so
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Bub

Just a few hunderd pounds in ingots stashed in garage where I cast rest is stocked piled where I found it, stacked everywhere on property some in out buildings and some close to garage the FIL was ready for our current situation with lead for bullets, all is between 10bhn-19 bhn all labeled, found about 1000 lbs + so far, thinking I have not found all his hidey spots yet. Still cleaning up the property 2 yrs + living here.

Boolit Master

In my cellar stacked on 2x6 shelves in gun section.

More in the garage, the floor was reinforced and 14 inches thick. Along the wall in believe it or not in milk crates. Yes, milk crates just to keep them from falling over. Try and lift one it will leave the bottom on the floor.

Raw sources in buckets 1/2 full. At best guess about 2-3 K pounds total, it changes every year.

Boolit Master
    I use empty gallon paint cans with lids. They hold about 45 lbs of 1 lb and 1/2 lbs ingots. Labeled coww, soww, etc. Stored in a cabinet in the garage. I also have raw wws in double sided cardboard boxes

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by makeurownfun View Post
    I moved into my house about a year ago and have just been stacking my ingots around the garage until I can get my shop built. I have since added to this “stash” and broke the 4K pound mark. Always looking to increase my supply while I’m young lol. Just curious what everyone does for storage and how crazy some of us really are

Attachment 308539
    I skipped over this post a couple times because I thought it was an older resurrected post, but then I realized it is a recent thread. Here is the older thread: https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ighlight=store
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy

1 lb ingots in 5 gallon buckets under the bench in the garage for WW and Pure, 3 and 5 lb ingots stacked along garage floor and exotic ingots stacked in between the studs in the walls.
    "Yes or no will almost always suffice as the answer"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickf1985 View Post
    An unfinished above grade crawlspace is kind of a contradiction of terms. To me that is a basement. If you can stand up in it then it is a basement, at least to me it is.
    I always thought that technically a basement was dug out. If I lifted my house off the foundation I’d be left standing on grade with a slope averaging about 40°. The only area partly dug out (maybe a foot on the uphill side) is the slab for the water heater and furnace where I also have storage and a work bench. There are two down slope levels of storage on pilings, as well as power, lights and a regular sized door at the bottom front of the house where it’s something like 8’ to the beams above. On the uphill side the beams are very close to the ground with no space to stand.

You’re right, actually: even I call it a basement (a lot easier to say than above grade partly finished crawl space) .
    Last edited by kevin c; 01-12-2023 at 04:00 PM.

Everywhere I can find a flat surface

Boolit Master

I use job site box's on my concrete patio for outdoor storage.

I use the 5 gallon square plastic cans that our firefighting foam chokes in. Powervwssh them out and jig saw a 6" square out of one director access the ingot. Then just mark the can with contents. They are very strong and are made to stack. There is also a kitty litter that comes in yellow square buckets, They work well too.

Boolit Master

I just use small(shoe box size) plastic storage tubs with latching tops that stack in neatly under my shelfs.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    All mine is cast in an angle iron ingots mold. The triangular shape allows them to be stacked effectively in the corner of my small shop. Almost all my lead is range scrap from my clubs indoor range. I mark each ingot with which range it came from. Lead from the 25 meter range tends to be much harder than lead from the 50 meter range.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by boatswainsmate View Post
    I use job site box's on my concrete patio for outdoor storage.

That’s a beautiful sight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast