Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How/where do you store your ingots?

Boolit Buddy

How/where do you store your ingots?

I moved into my house about a year ago and have just been stacking my ingots around the garage until I can get my shop built. I have since added to this “stash” and broke the 4K pound mark. Always looking to increase my supply while I’m young lol. Just curious what everyone does for storage and how crazy some of us really are

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2E2B4087-1E4E-4DFA-9DE4-1C754090E1BA.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	308539

Moderator Emeritus

I use a small short box with 1/4" plywood bottom and use them like mini pallets.
    I use to get 1/4" plywood scrap from a jobsite, and Generally I have lots of 'used' USPS MFRBs laying around, and they are about the right size, once cut down, for about 50 lbs of ingots.

I stack 50 to 60 lbs of ingots in each of these mini pallets.
    So, when they need to be moved, a two wheel cart lifts and transfers 2 or 3 loaded mini pallets easily.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I used to have a long line like that stacked against the garage wall too.

When Lead hit about a dollar a pound at the scrap yard, I cashed in
    and just rolled the money into what I call the 'Keep Winger Ed. from starving to death this week' fund.
    I'm down to my last ton or so and have it in 5 gal. buckets pushed up against the wall under the work bench.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

stacked on garage floor - separated - wheel weights - pure lead - hard - + small tin ingots -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by schutzen-jager View Post
    stacked on garage floor - separated - wheel weights - pure lead - hard - + small tin ingots -
    I too have mine separated. You cant see it in that picture, but some are marked WW, Soft WW, Roof Jack, Battery Terminal, and so on. I also had an odd "lead fixture" in a big WW purchase. Ill try to upload the pictures here, I have those ingots marked with an X as they are much harder than WWs. Much brighter in color still to this day too

Boolit Master
    I use one liter pop bottle plastic crates to store my one lb ingots, they stack nice and have handles.

Boolit Buddy
    I use 35 gallon watertight food cantainers.

Boolit Buddy
    This is the odd fixture I am referring to. As you can see it wasn't “cast” from a liquid. It’s laid down in sheets basically. This whole piece weighed around 70-80lbs. I cut it up with a metabo into smaller pieces to melt.
    There was some aluminum on some of the bottom which I threw in the recycle bin. But it was really clean and is really hard

Name:	2873F749-9C56-4D6F-85E1-340B333E41C8.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	308540

Name:	51BE0777-FEA1-4F47-8F28-B40B7C0E0E3D.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	308541

Name:	99346552-159B-4F61-AA75-0C003E071014.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	308542

Boolit Master

I have mine in 5 gallon buckets along the back wall in the building with my casting setup.
    I would like to figure out how to stack them vertically so that they don’t take up so much room on the floor.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I used to have a long line like that stacked against the garage wall too.

When Lead hit about a dollar a pound at the scrap yard, I cashed in
    and just rolled the money into what I call the 'Keep Winger Ed. from starving to death this week' fund.
    I'm down to my last ton or so and have it in 5 gal. buckets pushed up against the wall under the work bench.
    I've been buying WWs for the last 3-4 years at less than .20c per pound. A lot of it at .10c
    But I know it's going to get harder and harder to get, so I'd rather have it all. Even though I'll never get to shoot it all

Quote Originally Posted by deltaenterprizes View Post
    I have mine in 5 gallon buckets along the back wall in the building with my casting setup.
    I would like to figure out how to stack them vertically so that they don’t take up so much room on the floor.
    Plywood square on top of the bucket will support the weight of atleast 1 more.

Boolit Master
    I recently started moving my Castboolit ingots to 30 cal ammo cans. I can get about 28 of them in one standing up, and they aren’t too heavy to lift.

I only have about 300 of those ingots, but about three tomes that much of lead that needs cleaned up.

I need to find some more ammo cans…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a HF wooden piano dolly, just put a piece of plywood in the center. I think they are rated for 800-1000 lbs.; way more than I can roll around.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

[QUOTE=sukivel;5507988]I recently started moving my Castboolit ingots to 30 cal ammo cans. I can get about 28 of them in one standing up, and they aren’t too heavy to lift.

I only have about 300 of those ingots, but about three tomes that much of lead that needs cleaned up.

I need to find some more ammo cans…

You'll go broke in no time.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Blue plastic 55 gallon drum, cut in half. One is running over full of soft lead, other one is about 1/2 full of ww lead. Hardball and other blends are in numerous five gallon buckets. Range scrap is in 3 1/2 gallon buckets. All stored inside of the shop out of the weather. Lead stash still needing processing is out side in 55 gallon steel drums, drums also cut in half lengthwise.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Having maybe 2000lbs of ingots, they are all on pallets in my heated storage shop.

Boolit Master

I have mine on a pallet in the back yard out of the way.

After I cast the ingots, I head down to Ye old Post Office and grab a bunch of the free shipping boxes. I load them up and mark what BN they are where they came from. Makes stacking them much easier as well and with the info the side I can take from a stack what I need.

Boolit Grand Master

I think you're wise to get it now. Its getting scarce and will only become more so.

Before we moved I had mine stacked neatly in plastic milk crates lined up along one of the walls in my shop. A full crate weighs around 700# and they were a job to move! Each crate was labeled with the date and the alloy and the ingots were stamped with permanent letters. WW, PB, ect. Things like Foundry Type and Linotype were left in original form and stored in buckets. Since we've moved I've been transferring them to 50 caliber ammo cans stacked on the shelf under my steel work/casting bench. When I run out of ammo cans I'll probably sell the rest of it.

Boolit Buddy
    My ingots are put in 5 gallon buckets, that are set under shelves and benches, to keep them out of the way. May not be the best system, but it works for me.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast