Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Mineral spirits and plastic boxes

Boolit Buddy

Mineral spirits and plastic boxes

I know mineral spirits and plastics do not necessarily mix. My question is for those of you who use mineral spirits on iron/steel molds for rust protection do you store the molds in plastic boxes and have the boxes been damaged by the mineral spirits?

Boolit Master

Take a cue tip or other item that can trap a drop of Mineral Spirits; dip in your mineral spirits, then drop it on an edge of the bottom of the die box and let it sit for a while. Should tell you if the Mineral Spirits will damage your plastic box.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    I would think mineral spirits are better at removing oils than working as rust preventives? Aren’t they volatile enough to not stay on a mold as a protective coating?

Mustang’s advice is good. You could also check your boxes for a stamp that identifies what plastic it’s made of. At least hdpe is acetone resistant in my experience.