Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersLee Precision
RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1915 Model 1892, cal 44-40

Boolit Buddy

1915 Model 1892, cal 44-40

I was given this old rifle from a friend who saw it run over on a highway by a truck. When he found it I do not know but it was a wall-hanger in his house for many years. The stock and forend are both cracked and loose, the barrel bent but the action works. It's condition depicts years of use and abuse and it is a shame to see this old girl in such pitiful shape. Who could one rely on to establish if it is restorable or be relegated to display on a wall. I had thought of just replacing the stocks and let it be at that but it would be kinda fun to shoot this piece of history. I am not positive of the date of mfr but I do remember running the serial number and came up with something close.

I don't have the name of a specific gunsmith to recommend for the job, but they're out there, and no doubt another member will have a recommendation. As you noted, you could replace the stocks yourself (try Boyd's Gunstocks) and if the action still functions as it should replacing the bent barrel is that hard to do. I'd try Gun Parts Corp. for a replacement barrel, but there are other sources. You might also need a new magazine tube. Read up on it a bit, and you might decide to do it yourself.

DG

Check ebay for wood. You may pay for it, but they usually have nice original pieces at times. Even a barrel can be had on there (besides many other parts) that could get you to the point of a shooter with a proper person to check it out if need be.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Based upon my experience I would suggest John Taylor for an assessment and estimate. I expect by the time you are done the cost may approach a new reproduction rifle, so it depends how bad you want it.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Based upon my experience I would suggest John Taylor for an assessment and estimate. I expect by the time you are done the cost may approach a new reproduction rifle, so it depends how bad you want it.
    Downunder we would fix that old girl - I have a buddy would fit the barrel and cut chamber for fun - six bucks and some lathe time I do the the mag tube, hangers etc . can buy the wood as a kit or carve yr own, new barrel blank is the biggie about 300 or he will profile it for another $80. Toughest bit for us to do is the forend cap for a rifle.

Outpost is proly right if you pay the labour but DIY works for us
    heres a couple we've done
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pair of 92's.jpeg 
Views:	44 
Size:	123.1 KB 
ID:	308574

the stumpy is a 44/40 - gonna re do that - barrel is too fat - thinking half round half octagon will look better
    bottom is a 38/40 I converted up from 25/20
    Last edited by indian joe; 12-28-2022 at 03:42 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Depending on how badly the barrel is bent it may be possible to straighten it. If all the pieces of wood are there repairing them may also be an option. Pics of the damage would be helpful.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

I’ll second John Taylor.

Boolit Master

You may be able to find the parts needed here. https://homesteadparts.com/shop/winc...892-c-1_9.html.
    Sometimes a barrel can be straitened but if the bore is bad it's not worth the trouble. I have octagon blanks in 38-40 and 44-40.

Boolit Master
    If it was me I would have John Taylor supply a barrel, threaded, chambered and profiled. I would fit mine but he may not want to supply without fitting (understandable) (26" x 38/40 would be my pick) Thats the part that counts - if you are handy with tools and careful - the rest of it is just slow careful work. If you are in full time employment catch some overtime and pay the man for his expertise .

Boolit Bub
    The stock and forend on a 92 is the same as a 94, same with the magazine tube, so those parts are out there if you look around. The barrel will be the expensive part. Small parts are drying up and pricy too. I'm in the middle of rebuilding an early 1900s 44-40 '92 myself so I speak from first hand experience. They are worth putting some time and money into but be careful not to get sucked too far down the rabbit hole! Good luck.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the advice fellas. I tried to post some pics but for some reason I can't do it. I've done it before but not for awhile...maybe it has to be from a hosted site now? I did check the SN, it's an early 8XX,XXX and according to Winchester's website, it was made in 1915. Oh, and the rifle is a saddle ring carbine. John Taylor, I sent a PM your way.

Boolit Buddy
    I figured out how to post pics;
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by mvintx; 12-28-2022 at 11:49 PM.

Boolit Master
    How bad is that barrel inside ? scrubbed out, polished, and straightened would it shoot? ya never know till ya try. I have resurrected a couple of pretty horrid old winchester barrels with steel wool and brasso - followed by jewellers rouge.

Old girl is beat up pretty good but the action dont look so bad - magazine tube is a $6 piece of chinese curtain rod from the homemaker store, barrel bands = you make, .......new wood after you get it working. You might get out of it cheap but if that gun fell in my lap it would get the treatment.

Definitely worth the investment to restore. I would opt for a replacement barrel.

Boolit Buddy
    There are a few companies making replacement wood for these.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm thinking a new barrel, replace a few of the buggered screws, barrel bands, some gently-used wood to retain it's aged appearance. What's the consensus on caliber? Just a quick search doesn't turn up much 44-40 brass. I've seen some barrels in 44 mag.
    Last edited by mvintx; 12-29-2022 at 10:33 AM.

Boolit Master

WOW! I WOULD NOT HANG THAT ON MY WALL I have straightened a lot of barrels. I had an old cider press I modified. Easy to do if the bend is in the middle somewhere. On the end is much tougher to doA couple could be shot. You could get it straight enough to line. The mag tube could have the dents lifted out. It wont be pretty but will work. Buy new butt stock, glue the front. Nothing really wrong with that gun assuming the action works. You might want to have it magnafluxed to check for cracks where barrel screws in.

That rifle looks in similar condition to mine. I bought it for $100 for 'parts' but the first thing I noticed was the "4" digit serial No. indicating that it was made in 1892. So began a long journey to restoration.

New barrel in 44 Special, new magazine, color case hardening and general gunsmithing tune up's. In total about $1200 spend but I ended up with a unique and functional vintage rifle.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Ass Wallace View Post
    That rifle looks in similar condition to mine. I bought it for $100 for 'parts' but the first thing I noticed was the "4" digit serial No. indicating that it was made in 1892. So began a long journey to restoration.

New barrel in 44 Special, new magazine, color case hardening and general gunsmithing tune up's. In total about $1200 spend but I ended up with a unique and functional vintage rifle.

When mvintx asked about caliber, my thought was 44 Mag was too powerful for a gun this old but if 44 Spec would feed that would be a great choice. This gun looks really "Bad Ass". Click image for larger version. 

Name:	emoticon-showing-thumb-up-.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	308629
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Buddy
    Tis a beautiful piece. I'll have to give 44 SPL some thought. Brass probably easier to get also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast