WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tore the rim off a 223 case and it is stuck in the die

Tore the rim off a 223 case and it is stuck in the die

OK...OK...just use a stuck case remover tool, right. WRONG!
    In sizing and decapping my 223 cases using copious amounts of Dillon Case Lube, I had one case on the up stroke of the Dillon 550 tear the rim off and the case is stuck in the die.
    The problem is that the decapping pin and rod is still stuck in the case and the decapping pin is showing through the primer hole.
    How can I get this case out? I have the stuck case remover tool but can't get the proper place to drill it out - like the primer pocket.
    THOUGHTS?
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Moderator Emeritus
    You need to pull the depriming rod high enough into the case so you can use the case removal tool. However, you will also need to cut off the bottom of the case and take the depriming rod out of the case after it is loose in the die.

You should be able to move the depriming rod by turning the nut at the top of the die.

Boolit Buddy

Will the decapping/expanding rod not adjustable?
    You should be able to adjust the rod up to the top of the case body. It will not go into the neck but this will give you enough room to drill into the primer pocket.

Boolit Master

Post pic so issue is clear. I think garansrus is on correct suggested path.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by garandsrus View Post
    You need to pull the depriming rod high enough into the case so you can use the case removal tool. However, you will also need to cut off the bottom of the case and take the depriming rod out of the case after it is loose in the die.
    You should be able to move the depriming rod by turning the nut at the top of the die.
    Excellent suggestion. I freaked out and did not think anything would move at all.
    It never occurred to me that the decap rod/pin would move.
    Too bad work gets the in way of all this great reloading hobby!
    Thanks for the thoughts. I will give it a try tonight.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

It's real simple. Take the whole die out & send to Dillon. Done!
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Bub
    Buy Lee dies next time. Then you remove decapper and pound out stuck case.
    Ask me how I know

Boolit Master
    You should be able to remove the decaping rod assembly from the top of the die or at least get it far enough away from the tap of the stuck case remover don't cut off the case head as was suggested because then you'll really be up the creek.

Boolit Buddy
    Send it back to manufacture for polishing…

Boolit Buddy
    You really don't say what brand of dies you are using? If they are Dillon dies, I believe the die has a built in way to remove a stuck case. It should have the directions in the die information or on their website. I'm not sure all the Dillon dies do, but mine does.
    Last edited by Ajax111; 12-27-2022 at 03:39 PM.

I've removed the die, drilled & tapped a 1/4-20 hole through the primer hole.

Run a nut up on the bolt, stack some washers on that are larger dia. than the case, then screw the bolt into the case.

Turn the nut down and it will usually pull the case up though the washers.
    Once it comes out about 1/4", it will just drop on out.

If you've cut the base of the case off--- now you're in the trick bag, and it will get much more interesting.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Man
    What has happened to you just sucks, been there a few times. Dillon lube is good stuff but you have to let the alcohol dry off otherwise you will stick cases. Back the decaping rod off as far as you can and then drill and tap the case for the case remover and you should be ok. There is a chance you will need a new decaping pin, but then its always a good idea to keep a few on hand. If by some off chance the stuck remover doesn't work and its really really stuck another solution is to cut the head off and remove the decaping rod. You can then run an 8MM tap up into the case and use a pin and arbor press to press out the stuck case. If you don't have access to a press a little fudging around with a vice will acomplish the same thing. Just don't run the tap in too far, just enough that it has a good bite on the inside of the case and it should slide right out. I have not done this with a .223 but did manage to stick 2 300bo cases in a row. Needless to say I was not a happy camper but I got the cases out and didn't do any damage to the die. For the 06 and 308 class cases, a 7/16-20 tap works very well.
    I don't consider anyone an experienced reloader until they have stuck at least one case.
    Sam

Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Hawkeye View Post
    You should be able to remove the decaping rod assembly from the top of the die or at least get it far enough away from the tap of the stuck case remover don't cut off the case head as was suggested because then you'll really be up the creek.
    You missed the "after it is loose in the die" part, meaning the case is un-stuck and you are holding it in your hand, with the decapping rod also loose but still stuck in the case. The decapping rod won't come out of the case neck without force since the neck has been sized smaller than the expander button. The easiest thing to do is cut off the bottom of the case (holding the decapping rod at the top of the case) and then just take the rod out through the open case bottom.

Boolit Buddy
    It my be that he is down to the point that the remaining solution is to carefully collapse the case sidewalls and attempt to remove it by judicious application of needle nose pliers!..........I have been in precisely his position and with the same caliber.......RCBS dies in my instance.....Flattened out one side of a punch, sharpened the tip and VERY carefully applied it to the case stub........took a few tries but I eventually managed to get enough wall collapsed to get a firm grip. Polished that die and it is still in use today.

That experience led me to never use that spray on crap again. Best stuff I've found is the RCBS lube.........never an issue with that!

Meant to mention that my experience was with a 550 as well, and it is not the machine's fault but the lube itself!

Boolit Master
    I've used Winger Ed's method more than once. It works.
    https://wbrpc.org/

genealogy, another area of interest

feedback - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9613-czech_too

Boolit Master
    if the decapping rod is still inside case....can he not just undo the nut on top holding this rod in place and GENTLY tap it down with the decapping pin sticking out through primer pocket??? the expander ball will be sitting against the base of case and should pop it right out....will then need to carefully cut brass case in half to get the decapping rod out of it,but will be up and laughing again in ne time....

Boolit Master
    Send it back to Dillon. They'll sort it out for you. The die probably needs a bit of polishing.

Don't leave it or the empty case will rust the die.

...undo the nut on top holding this rod in place and GENTLY tap it down with the decapping pin sticking out
    Did that once and bent the rod so then had to get a new rod and pin. Was down a week waiting for it to get to the house.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Buddy
    What has happened to you just sucks, been there a few times. Dillon lube is good stuff but you have to let the alcohol dry off otherwise you will stick cases.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This 100%. Had the same thing happen. Took me a while to catch on. I use now mink oil on my fingers, or Hornady Unique lube

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    Did that once and bent the rod so then had to get a new rod and pin. Was down a week waiting for it to get to the house.
    there is old story about mechanics...the young fella will swing on heap of different tools going up in size to get off a siezed nut,the old guy with lots of grey in his beard will spray it well with CRC etc and go away to have smoko and come back and undo it with minimal force...
    drop whole shebang in a cup of diesel oil overnight before trying to tap it out gently....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast