Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: 280 remington (7mm-06) dies, brass and jwords

Boolit Master

280 remington (7mm-06) dies, brass and jwords

i have a friend at work that wants to get into reloading his 280, also known as the 7mm-06. i am hoping somebody is getting out of this caliber and might have some stuff he can use to get started. i am supplying the primers and powder and letting him try my presses to see which he likes before he buys his own, but the 280 is not a caliber i load for and my buddy at the lgs does not have anything for that caliber either. a handful of jwords would be great, he has some brass that he has saved but some more would be helpful. main thing he needs is dies

well dang, i used the WTB drop down but it did not show in the header. this is a want to buy thread. moderator if you could add the WTB to the header i would appreciate it, i can not edit that.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Bub
    I have Lyman set of dies. Maybe rcbs too. Pm if interested.

Boolit Master

.280 is not a 7mm-06. The shoulder on the
    .280 is approximately 0.050" further forward than the -06 family of cases, IIRC. So, necking -06 to 7mm will not result in a usuable case unless you create a false shoulder and/or seat a boolit out to the lands to create proper headspace that way. Either way, the case will be short at the case mouth.

If I mis-stated anything let me know. I am going off memory regarding .280 brass I necked down for a 25-06Imp that was reamed too deep for standard .25-06 brass.

I would just start with correct .280 brass if at all possible.

Boolit Buddy
    BK7saum is correct about the 7mm-06, but the 280 is the same as the old Remington 7mm Express. I know I had a box of that brass somewhere. I'll pm you if I find it.

Boolit Buddy
    You can use 35 whelen brass. It forms a false shoulder when you size it. 30-06 will also work, but it needs to be loaded long enough for the bullet to touch the rifling. That holds the round in place to fire form. Every time I post anything about doing this, I get told it won't work on 30-06 brass, but I have a bunch of brass that has been formed that way. You can do it with 270 or 25-06 brass as well, but it can split necks.

Boolit Mold
    Could be that the friend has a 7mm-08 which is also not a 280 Remington. Good luck.

Boolit Master
    Lee has .280 dies for sale. That is where I got my set..

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by curiousgeorge View Post
    BK7saum is correct about the 7mm-06, but the 280 is the same as the old Remington 7mm Express. I know I had a box of that brass somewhere. I'll pm you if I find it.
    please do

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    .280 is not a 7mm-06. The shoulder on the
    .280 is approximately 0.050" further forward than the -06 family of cases, IIRC. So, necking -06 to 7mm will not result in a usuable case unless you create a false shoulder and/or seat a boolit out to the lands to create proper headspace that way. Either way, the case will be short at the case mouth.

If I mis-stated anything let me know. I am going off memory regarding .280 brass I necked down for a 25-06Imp that was reamed too deep for standard .25-06 brass.

I would just start with correct .280 brass if at all possible.
    i got my info from the web, so much for everything on the web being true. did a little more research and its the 7mm express like has been stated thats the other name for this. was wondering why my books did not show the 280 and after going back they have the 7mm express and in the info page it calls it the 280.

Boolit Bub
    PM sent