RotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: 22mag loadin and Dies info

Boolit Master

22mag loadin and Dies info

Hi I bought 1,000 New Primed WW .22 mag Brass, I am looking for Dies and load info. I have looked on the web and found a .22LR, crimp Pliers, but no seating dies . thank`s Frank

I've never seen any such. I'm loading the very similar .25 Stevens rimfire, and I just made my own seating die for the old Ideal tong tool. Needs only a small lathe. You could use the Lee so-called "universal expander" (which it's not) die body for a setup that would work in normal 7/8x14 bench presses. I have a drawing for that somewhere. Easily modified for your .22 caliber bullet.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Thinking something like a 22Hornet seating die should work... My wonderment is Projectiles.. I guess I thought all Rimfire's utilized a healed bullet... But I didn't know one could purchase primed hulls either... or??? Did I miss something??

.22 Magnum uses a conventional jacketed bullet. .25 Stevens uses a conventional grease-grooved lead bullet.

A Hornet die would work if you shorten it by about .400".
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    I'm loading 22mag bullets in my hornet. If one wanted to get serious I would think one could take a Redding type bench rest seating die and machine their own sleeve wich in my mind would be easy for any machinist. If one had a 22cal version I guess you could just use the same seater plug. Or maybe a Wilson chamber type seater die ordered as a blank that you would machine/ream. Trying to find my rusted 220swift comp seater die for a pic but it seems to have grown legs and walked off.

Boolit Master
    I guess I have been unknowingly loading 22Mag bullets in my 22-30!! I use the Hornady .222 sp in it. Don't own a Die set specifically for that 22-30 (Oresky), use what is at hand for loading it...including the Hornet die for seating, better yet, the Hornady sliding seater from the 221 FB set...That little thing shoots amazing...I love it..

Boolit Buddy
    Not to digress the original thread, but where did you purchase the primed 22 mag brass? I may want to follow you down the same rabbit hole.

Boolit Master

I bought the WW .22 mag case`s from a gunclub member`s Estate, I also got 500 40.gr jhp bullets, I have no Idea where he bought them , I would like to find out . I think I can cut down a .22 hornet seating die to load the these case`s I also will try to post pictures. will keep you all informed.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fivegunner View Post
    I bought the WW .22 mag case`s from a gunclub member`s Estate, I also got 500 40.gr jhp bullets, I have no Idea where he bought them , I would like to find out . I think I can cut down a .22 hornet seating die to load the these case`s I also will try to post pictures. will keep you all informed.
    Or... keep yer eye peeled for a Hornady sliding sleeve seater.. simple switch of the "guts" to change calibers also...one die and Numerous seaters.. Win - Win
    wondering if they offer one that is intended for .222 or in this case, even .221
    someone Can/has made them!!

Like this? https://22lrreloader.com/products/22...f-reloader-kit
    Looks like the seating is by hand and a sizing die is separate Bullets are crimped in the case. Instruction manual in PDF for download has loading data.

Should be able to make a seater die with an E drill for the body and an O to make a relief for the rim. Stem from 15/64" or 6mm rod or maybe tube to keep from damaging the tip.

Caution this is something that I have never done and is the opinion of some random person on the web.

Case diameter for .22 Mag is nominally .241, so body drill would be a C, hoping it will cut a bit large, or a D which is nominally .246. There is no twist drill that's really close to the nominal bullet diameter of .224, so the bullet guide diameter would best be drilled #2 and then reamed to .2245 or .225 with a chucking reamer. Make the seating punch to a nice tight slip fit, and run a center drill/countersink into the business end. I find that the 60 degree taper fits almost everything except wide flat meplats.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

It`s the frist place that I went to, they don`t have a seating die and they use a pliers to crimp. they do have a sizing die and shell holder That I my buy , I am not interested in Reloading once fired .22 mag, just would like to put together what I have and shoot them up, I found more 40gr jhp bullets I thought I had 500 but now have 1,000. I have 25 bucks invested so I have every thing but the Die`s to make 1,000 .22 mag`s . thank you all for your reply`s

At the price of factory .22 mags, you can afford to spend a little on a way to seat bullets accurately!

Do you have a lathe? Or a friend with one? I've got the parts for the version that fits into the Lee expander die body drawn up. With almost no effort that could be turned into a drawing for a Wilson type seater such as the benchrest guys used to use. (I use one to this day for loading the .22 R2 Lovell wildcat.) Start with about four inches of 1" or 7/8" round stock and it'll take no more than a hour on the lathe.
    Cognitive Dissident