RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: 44 magnum 255 grain SWC loads?

44 magnum 255 grain SWC loads?

Plain base and powder coated. Looking for a light to middle of the road plinked load. Can’t seem to find much out there. I have access to Titegroup, HP38, Green Dot, Unique, Clays, Titewad. Thanks!
    Last edited by MarkK; 12-25-2022 at 04:21 PM.
    When you want to fool the world, tell the truth. Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Buddy

Unique works great. 9 to 10 grains should make you smile GW

Boolit Master
    oh come on.....there is a huge amount of load data out there for .44 magnum and most of the powders you mention...and a huge amount of loads listed for 240grn..not so many for 300 grain....
    now you WONT get into trouble by using a lighter projectile within reason as you are decreasing pressure.....
    and if you have say 280-260-240 grn data yo uwill notice the powder charge will be along lines of 7-8-9grns projectile gets heavier,powder gets lighter by same amount,or that close to it its irrelevant...so your 225 in this HYPERTHETICAL equasion would be well served by...........9.5grns as 10 would nicely fit a 200grn and 9.5 a 230grn or 9.75 should be just about smack on the money honey

bottom line here is that you arent looking at a hot rod load,primer popping pressure levels so you have a little bit of leeway/wiggle room.
    be sensible,triple check your maths see if can find data to confirm your guestimate..or post it up as a question,is this going to be safe...and have fun,the .44magnum is a doddle to load for at lower end of pressure levels.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkK View Post
    Plain base and powder coated. Looking for a light to middle of the road plinked load. Can’t seem to find much out there. I have access to Titegroup, HP38, Green Dot, Unique, Clays, Titewad. Thanks!
    weather it is pc or lube sized, Unique is my GO-TO powder. Merry Christmas

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by G W Wade View Post
    Unique works great. 9 to 10 grains should make you smile GW
    Been up and down with my .44 and Unique.. that 255 Lee (assuming) is downright Fun...with 8 and Up to 9+ gr Unique..
    Gonna chrono some soon in my 4-5/8 SBH, I only want about 900FPS could live with a bit Less!!! I use 240 with gas check and sometimes the 200 PB RF.. in that SBH for "business".. the 310 with GC
    gets the Nod in the Contender...
    Again...the 255 is mucho funnn..without pushing hard at all!!!

Boolit Master

Cool

Like many others I use a lot of Unique in revolvers, .44mag included. I used to shoot at the LAPD Harbor Range, until it was demolished. No Magnum Loads allowed, 30+years of #429421 over 9.5grs of Unique. A good medium load. Same for .357Mag; #358429 over 6.5gr of Unique. Unless I was shooting a M27, then changed to #358477.

Merry Christmas to all
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

I shoot 7 to 7.5 of Unique with a 250 grain PC bullet. I use this for a 2x4 shoot I participate in where we can fire anywhere from 25 to 50 rounds rapidly. Very pleasant to shoot and in a S&W 629 has the recoil of a light 38.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Grand Master

Another who uses Unique for just such a 44 Magnum load. I use 8.5 gr Unique under a 429421 or 44-250-SWC. Runs 1000 fps out of my Ruger 50th FTBH with 6 1/2" barrel and 930 fps out of my 4" Colt Anaconda. Accuracy is excellent and comfort level is very pleasant. Still give plenty of 'thump" on the other end.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Titegroup with a max 44 special load in magnum cases would be an easy plinker.

Sounds like 7 to 9 grains of Unique is the way to go. Yes, it is the Lee 255 gr mold. Many thanks for all that responded. Have a blessed 2023.
    When you want to fool the world, tell the truth. Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master
    Starting at 7.5/Unique/255 would be a good move. You can work up from there, but 9.0/Unique is about where control will wane.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

5 grains 231/hp38 under any 250 gr boollit is about 700 fps and is very nice for a light load

Boolit Mold
    240 to 260 gr over 10.0 gr Unique 90% of the time.

Moderator Emeritus

no one has mentioned it yet, but I use Unique for such a load
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    Starting at 7.5/Unique/255 would be a good move. You can work up from there, but 9.0/Unique is about where control will wane.
    My Experience as well, unless a more weighty Firearm is utilized... FWIW
    I have never Powder Coated tho, I shoot that Boolit as cast, with a Dip in LLA...

Boolit Buddy
    I like Unique too but I came up with a iight load for a friends 329 PD for plinking and practice that just works great and is super pleasant. 8 grains of Trailboss with the 255's. Super accurate across a wide range of 44's. Of course finding Trailboss right now is a bit problematic.....

Boolit Master
    Skeeter Skelton promoted his fav: 7.5 gr in a 44 special case and 8.5 gr of Unique in a 44 mag case. The Special load was also used in well built .44 special revolvers as I recall.

I use Clays for lighter plinkers. Use Titegroup for just a bit more “whiz”. The 8.5 Unique in a magnum case is my next power level.

Just above plinking I turn to HS6 and 11.8-12 gr and a magnum primer. This pushing a 250-260 gr plain base is very manageable but effective. My Smith in 4” runs 1066 FPS and 7 FPS SD.

From there I go to 2400 and finish up the climb with H110.

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 12-28-2022 at 12:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”