WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: First loadings for VZ52

Boolit Master

First loadings for VZ52

So I finally went down the rabbit hole and decided to make some 7.62x45. I successfully made a dummy round from 220 swift. The shoulder is a tad off but should fire form. My question is load data. I'm planning on using standard 123fmj to start. From what I have found people are starting at higher end of 7.62x39 data. From my books the only listed powder I currently have is 4895 and it's listed at 27-29gr. Thinking of starting at 28gr and seeing if it's enough to cycle. Any problem with what I'm doing here? Should I look for a better powder option?

Boolit Master
    I use 28 gr of H4895 in my 7.62 x39's.
    That sounds like a good start for your round.
    I also use 4198 with the same Boolits.

Boolit Mold
    I just bought one of these rifles and was looking for dies and i called CH4D and was told at least a year before these will be made. I sure hope to find some before then.

Boolit Master
    I think I'D want to try a CAST projectile, around 120 - 125 gr., over 17.4 gr. of H4895 (this charge is 60% the weight of the load mentioned as being maximum for the shorter M43 round). I would EXPECT this to develop enough pressure to fire-form the case to the 7.62x45 chamber's dimensions, but give you a comfortable margin to avoid pressure excursions. I would think that such things are rare when fire-forming cases, but it may be prudent to leave yourself some "room" for "lightning striking".
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    The 7.62x45 and the Carcano cartridges share the same case head size. Would be cheaper to use the Carcano brass as it's slightly longer 51- 52 mm versus the 45 mm of the 7.62x45mm. Grafs usually has the PPU brass in the Carcano calibers and cheaper than the 220 Swift. Frank

Those are neat guns if the brass wasn’t a problem! I think that you could cobble loads together with a decapping die -then use 7.62x39 dies- IF you have the x45 brass…..
    IMO PPU could supply correct 7,62x45 ammo/ brass easily. I mean, my goodness they make 8mm Lebel and other misfits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I'll second Samari46 on the source for brass long enough to make full-length cases. As for load data, IIRC, the factory round operates at 45kpsi and produces the same performance as 7.62x39. With the greater case volume and using x39 data, chamber and port pressures will be correspondingly lower. Given the size of the "donut" piston around the barrel, I'd expect the VZ-52 to function with pretty low pressures at the ports, but I can't speak from experience. I got one of these back during the heyday of imports and never fired it once I found out the rifling at the muzzle was very worn from careless cleaning rod wear and I could expect no accuracy. Unlike the SKS tilt-locking the rear, it's a front-locker.

Some experimentation with 150gr boolits seems like just the ticket. In a suitable bolt-action the 7.62x45 could be loaded to better performance than x39, well into .30-30 Win territory I'd expect. . . . And, having said that, we all know the world desperately needs another .30-30 class cartridge, ahem. . . .

I probably should search up cartridge dimensions, but I wonder if a Lee .308 collet sizer could be used to neck size and x39 sizing dies could be used to set the shoulder back a .001 or so, for reliability once resistance to chambering becomes a thing. The x39 die might be a little tight at the shoulder and unnecessarily work the brass.
    Last edited by yeahbub; 01-13-2023 at 01:45 PM.

Boolit Master
    For those wondering I made the brass following a guy on YouTube. Basically take a 220swift, chop it at the neck and cram it into a 303brit die till the shoulder is close and size rim. Then use 7.62x39 to set the angle and seat projectile.