Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Help with Savage 24F predator trigger job

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

Help with Savage 24F predator trigger job

Just picked up the gun last week. I haven't pulled the trigger yet to see how heavy the pull is or isn't. It was never used or fired. Chambered in 22 hornet and choked 12 gauge. Always wanted one in 223 and 12 gauge and also a vintage wood stocked 20 gauge and 22mag since my dad had one back in the 70's. Came across this 24F predator all black synthetic version by accident. The neighbor's relative passed and they are selling off a bunch of his firearms. They also have one in 20 gauge and 22lr 24F. It's drilled and tapped for a scope rail. The only rail option I saw was a weaver 74 base so I ordered one up. I have a 1-4 Bushnel engauge German reticle red dot scope I'll mount on it when the rail shows. My plan is to use it for predator calling. Seems like from what I've read the trigger pull is extremely heavy in the 24's. Been trying to find some suggestions on trigger pull lighting. Ive always been a trigger snob so I'm sure I will want to try and lighten it.. I've polished trigger groups and switched put springs on alot of firearms and figured I'll end up trying to do the same I this gun. Anyone lighten their 24 triggers? Photos, videos, or suggestions would help. I cant find to much information on how to do it on the savage 24's. I bought it the night before I left town for the holidays. Didn't really look it over much other than. It looked brand new. I gave her $600 pretty quick for it. She wanted $700. I saw there was one that sold on GB for $1199 plus shipping and my Smith said he just sold one for more than the GB price and to snap it up quick so I did. Figured if I can get it to shoot I could double my investment and put it back into something that will shoot. I can post some pics of it when. I get back from Christmas.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 12-24-2022 at 03:22 PM.

Boolit Master

Good score, I have a 24F in .223/20 gauge. The triggers are pretty crummy. If you concentrate, they can be spooky accurate.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

I found that after I posted. I'll have to give it a try. How light of a trigger pull did you end up with?

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    I found that after I posted. I'll have to give it a try. How light of a trigger pull did you end up with?
    I can't say for sure. Before, it was so hard it almost hurt my finger to pull the trigger. Now it's very comfortable for hunting but I wouldn't say particularly light. It was a huge improvement.

Took mine apart today. Stoned my trigger 4 times and tested till I finally called done for the day. I couldn’t get the main spring out so I wrapped 400 grit sandpaper around an eyeglass sized flat head screw driver and gently worked the hammer mating surfaces through the trigger housing cavity with the trigger removed. I then carefully polished everything with a dremel tool and some mothers polish. Before I started it literally hurt my finger to pull the hammer! It still isn’t a varmint/ target trigger by any means now but it brakes crisp. All the gritty travel is now gone along with a ridiculously hard pull. It was the heaviest trigger pull I’ve ever encountered. I tried my trigger scale that maxes out at four pounds. It just burries it all the way past 4 pounds when I tried and test it. It still takes a little yank after it’s buried at 4 pounds. So I would say it’s probably close to five but crisp. Maybe it’s 4 1/2 but I doubt it. I don’t see how it would get any lighter unless I replace the main spring with a lighter one or cut a coil or two off of it. Does anybody make lighter main springs for the 24’s? If not I can always see if I can find an extra one to chop down and save my factory one in case I screw it up.

I definitely would like to get it lighter so any suggestions would be helpful.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 12-30-2022 at 09:14 PM.

I took it apart last week again. I stoned the trigger and hammer sear engagements 3 more times testing along the way. It now brakes crisp at 4.5 pounds. I took some boxes of .358 bullets and tied them like I was wrapping a bow around a package with a bore snake. I then tied the opposite side of thr snake string to my trigger. I started with 4 pounds 6oz. It broke twice on the very tip of the trigger right when the weight left the ground and then didn't brake several times when I slid the string up to the middle of the trigger shoe. I then added a few more bullets to the boxes to add some weight. The total weight was 4 pounds 11 oz. It broke every times in the middle of trigger before the weight left the ground. I didn't take anymore bullets out to see exactly where it brakes...so I'll call it 4.5 oz. It's so crisp that to me it feels like 3 to 3.5 pounds. I'll do some ladder testing now before I decide to try and lighten it any more.