Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: “Soft point, hardcast”????

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    With mold pre-heated on hot plate, with sprue plate open, drop a single US 00 buckshot into each cavity, then immediately close spruce plate and fill mold.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

I know the soft nose need a bit of velocity to reach their full potential but when they are in that zone many have reported that they have had excellent results. If I were to use a rifle I would think hard about going to the effort, as it is I can hit the expansion threshold for soft hp much easier.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    That's where I'm at.
    Look at all the big, dangerous African game rifles.
    Like the Nitro Express and Rigby stuff.
    And the 'buffalo guns' that take a shell about the size of a banana.
    Their bullets are made for doing some serious killing.
    They're made to kill animals that have the will and ability to 'harvest' you.-- they're all RNs and FP.
    Agreed. My factory federal deep penetrator 416 Rigby are flat nose..my hornady factory 458 winmag and 458 Lott are all round nose as well as my 470 nitro express. Even my 9.3x74r and 375h&h are some type of round nose.

With mold pre-heated on hot plate, with sprue plate open, drop a single
    00 buckshot into each cavity, then immediately close spruce plate and
    fill mold.
    Fascinating.
    Trying it now w/ a 340gr* solid (gas-checked) version of the classic Gould.
    .375" RB in the nose overlaid w/ Lyman#2 and then to be PC'd.

a leeeeeettle rough -- but we'll see if will hold together far enuf' to make 50/50.
    (50 yds w/ 50gr of 3031)

* 330gr even as-cast above

Last edited by mehavey; 12-25-2022 at 07:54 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    You realize that Lyman at one time made several two part molds in I believe 38/357, 44 and 45. You cast the nose portion in a soft allow and the rear portion in a harder alloy. The two portions were epoxied together, before being lubed and sized. There was another vendor who approached the problem by having two pots, colocated one held the soft alloy and the other the harder alloy. You adjusted the soft allow pot to dispense a limited amount of alloy, then immediately filled the remainder of the mold with the harder alloy. Both I believe were marked in the 70s.
    Bill

Boolit Master
    Handloader #222 magazine,has a great article on casting softnose bullets.
    I like the idea of doing the opposite by making the base soft and the nose hard lead.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks everyone! Lots of good info provided on this subject. I appreciate it.
    All the best,
    Glenn

I wouldn't go to all that trouble, But I'd be curious to hear what your results are.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I got mine as idea from Ross Sayfried? anyway it is easy to do and have killed deer with them. any mold can used--have 255 MM lwn-- and it makes great 257gr flat soft points for my .410 GNR conversion. I have 3 hp/cup molds and I like them but truthful I really do not need them it was a want as far as expanded bullets. I mean what's not to want in Keith .41 cal hp or CP., Btw I use two pots...one soft one normal-- homade dipper.. only make them to hunt as the normal bullets shoots to same point of aim

Boolit Master

Lyman/Ideal at one time made a mould, the 308291 for this purpose. Had a nose portion that resembled a mushroom.
    You cast them first. Then inserted the "nose" in the other cavity and cast the regular bullet.
    The nose was soft alloy and the base hard. Orygun Mark had one of the moulds when he was with us.
    He said that even that sometimes messed up. I've seen pics of the whole bullet. You could see a color difference between the alloys. He said it worked well and he "made meat" with them but said there was a lot of rejects./beagle

Quote Originally Posted by barkerwc4362 View Post
    You realize that Lyman at one time made several two part molds in I believe 38/357, 44 and 45. You cast the nose portion in a soft allow and the rear portion in a harder alloy. The two portions were epoxied together, before being lubed and sized. There was another vendor who approached the problem by having two pots, colocated one held the soft alloy and the other the harder alloy. You adjusted the soft allow pot to dispense a limited amount of alloy, then immediately filled the remainder of the mold with the harder alloy. Both I believe were marked in the 70s.
    Bill
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

So I tried this in the past. Just because I thought the idea was cool. It was not easy to get the casting to work. It sounded great, but I was not able to make a good looking cast out of it, so I gave up. I agree with the above guys points. Go soft, powder coat and go shoot. If you think you need it....
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Quote Originally Posted by Milky Duck View Post
    Kiwi fella posted link to old thread he had on here years back.... making these duel density boolits
    Ole gruff is good people, hope he doesn't mind me sharing this

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    That's where I'm at.
    Look at all the big, dangerous African game rifles.
    Like the Nitro Express and Rigby stuff.
    And the 'buffalo guns' that take a shell about the size of a banana.
    Their bullets are made for doing some serious killing.
    They're made to kill animals that have the will and ability to 'harvest' you.-- they're all RNs and FP.
    Yeah, and almost all soft points. Solids are optional.

Boolit Grand Master

I didn't realize soft point cast bullets were a secret. They have been around a long time, for sure going back before anyone here was alive. They were never all that popular because they are only useful in a relatively small number of instances. I've made them, and I think Bruce B developed one of the best methods there are. Easy? No, but after a little time you have a handful of fine bullets. Here in the USA where we can have any bullet our mind and wallet can handle, it's not that big of a deal. Get velocity up a little and a flat point rifle bullet expands fine with normal alloys. You can buy very wide nosed bullets for handguns anywhere. Hollow point molds are not rare. Other places in the world they may not be.

In a 38 Spl in my experiance it is best to use a hard cast SWC like a Keith or Thompson style and forget the double pour, use your time saved to practice shooting.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12