Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Repackbox

Thread: 4 Blade Carbide Drills

Boolit Master

4 Blade Carbide Drills

I bought some 4 blade carbide drills and the radius looks like they may make a nice cavity for a nose punch!
    I have not measured them but since they are most probably made in China there is a good chance that they are metric sizes.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Not all carbide in the end of drill bits is the same quality. I learned the hard way drilling into a lot of hard stone. If you have a diamond wheel, you could probably shape it to form you need.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Not all carbide in the end of drill bits is the same quality. I learned the hard way drilling into a lot of hard stone. If you have a diamond wheel, you could probably shape it to form you need.
    I agree that there are different grades of carbide.
    These have a nice ogive shape like the old Harbor Freight glass drill bits but instead of one piece of carbide it uses 2 more to support the main piece.
    I tried to use one of the old HF bits to try to make a swaging die and it broke quickly.
    This design looks much stronger!
    The newer design HF glass drill bits are strong and I used them to drill holes in granite to mount a dial indicator stand and they worked well.
    I have not tried them on metal yet.

Boolit Grand Master

Sharpening or reshaping a 4 flute drill can be done but keeping all 4 flutes cutting even and at the same angle is a trick with out a tool grinder. If they arnt cutting even the drill walks off center and cuts over size. They are normally a 118* included angle point not a radius.
    You could dress the radius into a silicon carbide wheel and grind it onto the drill then back of the edges with a diamond stone and finish with the same stone

While it wouldnt be carbide a s bit reamer might be better suited

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Sharpening or reshaping a 4 flute drill can be done but keeping all 4 flutes cutting even and at the same angle is a trick with out a tool grinder. If they arnt cutting even the drill walks off center and cuts over size. They are normally a 118* included angle point not a radius.
    You could dress the radius into a silicon carbide wheel and grind it onto the drill then back of the edges with a diamond stone and finish with the same stone

While it wouldnt be carbide a s bit reamer might be better suited
    These bits are already the shape that I want.

Boolit Buddy
    Can you post a link to the bits?

Boolit Master

I have tried to copy a pic but the sites won’t allow it!
    Google is your best!
    Lowes has them but they are a lot cheaper on eBay.

Boolit Master

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the link. I have a set on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by deltaenterprizes View Post
    I just love their description.

"High Strength Material: Made of premium carbide, rust and , strong carbide tip, high hardness carbide insert, wear resistant, durable and .
    Efficient Design: 4 blade design, low cutting resistance, precise and effortless drilling, can easily penetrate a variety of materials at one time, efficient and time saving. Additional anti slip triangular handle design, stable operation.
    error:
    We aim to show you accurate product information. Manufacturers, suppliers and others provide what you see here, and we have not verified it. See our disclaimer"

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Bub
    They look like screw driving bits...

Boolit Master
    I got mine in a few days ago and made a top punch for my lyman lube sizer from mild steel. I tried drilling with the carbide drill but it wasn't cutting well. I drilled a small pilot hole and then it drilled in very well.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I got mine in a few days ago and made a top punch for my lyman lube sizer from mild steel. I tried drilling with the carbide drill but it wasn't cutting well. I drilled a small pilot hole and then it drilled in very well.
    Can you show some pictures? This is a very interesting idea.

Boolit Master

I have tried to copy a pic but the sites won’t allow it!
    Google is your best!
    Lowes has them but they are a lot cheaper on eBay.
    These?
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master
    Says out of stock...
    And largest diameter is 0.280"/ 7.11mm.
    so there's that,

Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Boolit Buddy
    I've done some drilling on lead and you need to watch because soft lead is very grabby. My 2 cents.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Thanks for the tip! I would have gotten frustrated and might have broken the bit!
    Cold weather has made my shop time come to a screeching halt!

Boolit Master
    They are limited in size. The top punch I made was for a .225 boolit. Fortunately Top punches for lube sizers don't have to be full boolit size. The largest in my set measures .288 and should work for up to 30 cal boolits in a lube sizer. The will also work for top punches for point forming on my Swag-o-Matic as they don't have a full ogive. Also rnfp boolits could be made by filling the tip with epoxy or some such.

Although I wasn't planning on drilling lead, they my work for hollow pointing boolits with a bit of oil to keep the lead from smearing.