Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication

Thread: #4 buckshot crimps

Boolit Master

#4 buckshot crimps

Starting to think that as long as I have the right hull,wad,primer,powder and 27 #4 Hornady buckshot that having one buckshot showing a little bit in the center of the crimp shouldn't matter.It's only cosmetic right? Be easy on me now.Crimped on a MEC 600,8 point hull
    Last edited by jim 44-40; 12-23-2022 at 03:55 PM.

Boolit Master
    It won't matter - but you can always add a thin card wad and cover up the entire load.

Boolit Buddy
    You could adjust the crimp starter and see if you close the hole some, or put a drop of wax from a candle on it.

Boolit Master
    If the hole is small enough that it can’t fall out I’d not give it another thought . If however you decide to start adding buffer then I’d try to close the crimp or add an overshot card .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master

Won't hurt. You can drop a little wax on it or as someone else said use an overshot card.

Boolit Master
    After shooting a dozen, a small hole in crimp center does not bother me at all. 27 pellets of #4 buck with modified choke is mild recoil for me in 12 gauge.

Boolit Buddy
    I remember when I frequented shotgun world, there were a few old timers out there that couldn't care less about what the hull crimp looked like as long as the shot wasn't leaking out. Some even went so far as to use scotch tape to prevent leaks if the hull was charred, burned or damaged. My dad bought a big lot of shotgun reloading supplies from an estate auction once and it must've belonged to one of those guys because the hulls looked like they should have been culled 10 loads ago. Anyway, I opened a few and recovered the shot and measured both that and the powder which was easily identified as green dot and checked the book. We shot all of those ratty looking shells and broke many a clays. As for me, my standards are much higher than that but I'm thinking that pretty crumps are similar to sparkling clean primer pockets. Nice but not necessary.