RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: Old Norma 130 Grain Soft points in AK

Old Norma 130 Grain Soft points in AK

I know, this isn't a cast boolit question, but I recently got a free box of Norma, 130 Gr, .311" soft-points. It looks like they may be discontinued, as I don't see them listed anywhere online and the box is old; it boasts of Norma's "More than 60 years" of ammunition production. Norma has been around since 1895. Do any of you have any experience with these projectiles, particularly out of an AK?

Boolit Grand Master
    No experience, but I think they will work fine.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Norma used to be known as top of the line ammo. They should work well for you as long as they are heavy enough for what you are shooting. What will you be shooting them in?

Just my opinion, but I wouldn’t waste them slinging them from an AK. Save them for hunting ammo for a 7.62x39 bolt rifle or AR15.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

They would also be excellent varmint bullets or "light deer loads" in other .31 cals. such ast the 7.65 Argentine, 7.62x54R or many .303s. They will also work fine in many .30 cals.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Norma used to be known as top of the line ammo. They should work well for you as long as they are heavy enough for what you are shooting. What will you be shooting them in?
    Well, my dad has a Zastva AK that he'd like to try using for deer the next time he goes out with me (up until now he has tagged along for moral support). It's his only rifle, and he's excited to actually use it for something. Our state has a 5-round magazine limit, but I already have a few suitable magazines. He has demonstrated sufficient accuracy for the ranges that I hunt at. I'm just not sure if 7.62x39 will drive these fast enough to expand meaningfully. I know that PPU makes their SP round with an unusually large meplat, specifically to overcome such problems. I like Larry Gibson's idea as well, since I do have an 1891 Argentinian and an Enfield. I do not cast for x39, since it's not something I shoot often.

Boolit Master

Get your accuracy load set up.

Set up a 1gallon jug full of water at your furthest hunting distance.

Then place a piece of cardboard 3-5 feet behind it, but in line with the bullets path.

Shoot the jug and look at the hole in the cardboard.

IF I could find the pic and knew how to post it I would show how I learned this trick and it is one of the coolest of all I have captured!
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!