Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Police Service Six 38 Special

Boolit Mold

Ruger Police Service Six 38 Special

I attempted to send a private message to MtGun44, but there was an error. Maybe his mailbox was too full of garbage from people like me.

I wanted to know if there was a difference in strength between the Ruger Service Six chambered in 357M vs 38sp?

I’m not eloquent. I spent some time on my message (even if it doesn’t look like it). So I copied it and will paste it here:

Hello Sir,

I’m sorry to bother you. I’ve been lurking on castboolits for the last 10 years or so. And reading a lot of the old stuff. Maybe I have 10 posts to my name.

There’s a pristine Ruger Service Six at my local gun shop for $450. I went to buy it today but found out it was chambered for 38 special and I walked out with a very good S&W model 13 instead for $650.

It got me thinking. I suspect the service six 38 Special is identical to the 357 service six except for chamber depth. So I did a search on castboolits to try and find an answer. I found a post by you stating they were the same. I remember your name as someone I highly respect and so I decided to PM you to verify.

I’ve decided I need to give my two Son in Laws 4 inch 357 magnums. I have a half lug fixed sight GP100 and now this Model 13. But I cannot leave myself without one. I’d be fine with keeping this service six for myself if I know I can hot rod 38’s.

I apologize for the long story. I do appreciate all the knowledge I’ve received from reading your posts; even if I’ve forgotten most of it.

Sincerely,
    Ted

I could tell you a long and interesting story about S&W K Frames' strength, .38 Model 64 vs. .357 Model 66, but the short of it is that S&W said the strength is not equal because the heat treatment is different. I do not know that this is the case with the comparable Ruger revolvers, but I would suggest that if you need to know this fact that you should directly contact the Ruger factory as ask them. The question should be nothing more than academic anyway, unless you are planning to convert a .38 Ruger to use .357 ammo. Don't. Get the tool intended for the job.

DG

Outpost 75 could probably answer that question.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

I'd snap that baby up just as quickly as I could, sell my youngest child to pay for it! Absolutely nothing wrong with .38 Special! Ruger should handle +P loads too!
    JMTC, hc18flyer

Boolit Grand Master
    Back in the day, the prevailing wisdom was that the 38 Security Six/Service Six was identical save for the depth of the chamber with the 357 version. I distinctly remember them being used with the "+P+" Treasury loads.

However, Outpost 75 is the guy, he worked as an engineer there at Ruger back in the day and was involved in testing. He will be able to definitively state the facts.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0480.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	308417
    Here's mine. It has an excellent trigger, but does not shoot to POA. I need to put it in a vice and turn the barrel to the left a smidge.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

Loved the Security Six's. Have had 6"- 4" and 2 3/4 in. Stupidly got rid of the 4 and 6. Short gun is my constant companion. Got really upsrt with Ruger when they dropped and replaced with GP100. GW

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The .38 Special Service Six and Speed Six revolvers have the same alloys and heat treatment as the .357s. Their only reason for being was political for police contract orders where the politicians didn't want cops carrying "Magnums". They will withstand a steady diet of +P+ LE loads.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Outpost75 beat me to a reply. He's spot on as to the information on the Ruger.

Boolit Mold
    Thank you for your replies. And thank you Outpost75 for your knowledge. I think I will try and get Service Six and I’ll post pictures if/when I do. I’m probably more excited about it now then when I thought it was a 357.

Boolit Master

I had a Speed - Six 4" bbl in .38Spl, My sister got her hands on it. And shot approximately 50-100rds of +38+Spl from 1976 until she passed in 2018. Every 3-4 weeks !
    Ammo Our Dad loaded for her, and then I did when He passed in 1988. The bolt was replaced in 1992 and again in 2010. Other then that I don't know what was done to the revolver. Never saw the gun after she passed.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master
    I would buy it in a heartbeat.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I will add that in that configuration,, collectors of the Ruger DA guns LIKE to find them.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I would buy it in a heartbeat.
    Me too!

Excellent candidate for "Skeeter's Load" with the 358156 GC'd and seated out to the 2nd crimp groove over 13 gr of Alliant 2400. Recent pressure testing has shown that load to be right under the SAAMI MAP. Skeeter's load of 13.5 gr runs just right over the SAAMI MAP. A friend of mine got a 4" Service Six 38 SPL LE trade in some years back, maybe 30+.... He uses the 13 gr load regularly over the years and the revolver is still in excellent condition. If I didn't have a 6 Security Six 357 I would have gotten one, should have anyway.....
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    I have one of each: Speed Six in .38 Special, Service Six .38 and a Security Six. They are strong as heck, but two of them need action work. Got any suggestions?
    Colt's Manufacturing Company Armorer Instructor
    Aimpoint USA L/E Pro Staff
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Me too!

Excellent candidate for "Skeeter's Load" with the 358156 GC'd and seated out to the 2nd crimp groove over 13 gr of Alliant 2400. Recent pressure testing has shown that load to be right under the SAAMI MAP. Skeeter's load of 13.5 gr runs just right over the SAAMI MAP. A friend of mine got a 4" Service Six 38 SPL LE trade in some years back, maybe 30+.... He uses the 13 gr load regularly over the years and the revolver is still in excellent condition. If I didn't have a 6 Security Six 357 I would have gotten one, should have anyway.....
    I only use 12 grs. #2400 in .357 with a 160 gr. H&G #51 SWC. I'd have to look at my notes, but I think MV is about 1150 or so from a 6" barrel. I've tried from about 10 BHN to 14 BHN and can see little or no difference in accuracy. What hardness do you use for the 13 #2400 load in .38 Special cases? It seems pressure would certainly be higher than my .357 load.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    The .38 Special Service Six and Speed Six revolvers have the same alloys and heat treatment as the .357s. Their only reason for being was political for police contract orders where the politicians didn't want cops carrying "Magnums". They will withstand a steady diet of +P+ LE loads.
    That makes sense. I have always questioned assertations that two revolvers identical except for chambering had different heat treatments and alloys. A metallurgist I ain't, but I have experience in spare parts management, and it would be more trouble than it would be worth to stock two versions of essentially the same part..and I suspect an equal waste of manufacturing time.

As for the original question, I would personally investigate the world of 38/44 loads.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Larry Gibson some time back pressure tested some .38-44 loads and I've used them in my .38 Special 1984 Service Six armorer's school gun with fine results.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Moderator Emeritus

While the Speed Six is a fine choice don't beat yourself up over getting a Model 13. One of the best carrying guns S&W ever made.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

I have a S&W Model 13 with a 3" barrel and it is a keeper. Maybe not be quite as strong as the Ruger Service six but close enough for this ol boy. james

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by lotech View Post
    I only use 12 grs. #2400 in .357 with a 160 gr. H&G #51 SWC. I'd have to look at my notes, but I think MV is about 1150 or so from a 6" barrel. I've tried from about 10 BHN to 14 BHN and can see little or no difference in accuracy. What hardness do you use for the 13 #2400 load in .38 Special cases? It seems pressure would certainly be higher than my .357 load.
    Yes, because the 358156 bullet is seated a bit "deeper" out to the 2nd crimp groove in 38 SPL cases than when seated to the 1st crimp groove in 357 Magnum cases the psi of the 13 gr 2400 load in 38 SPL cases is the same as a 14 gr load of 2400 in 357 Magnum cases. Both loads run right at 35,000 psi.

Most often the bullets used have a BHN of 12 - 14 and are cast of COWWs + 2% tin or range scrap with tin added to give about the same BHN. For hunting bullets I us a 16-1 lead-tin alloy which is a bit softer at 11 - 12 BHN but is much more malleable giving better expansion with the HP'd 358156s..
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla