RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting patches

Boolit Buddy

Cutting patches

https://www.amazon.com/Swingline-Tri.../dp/B016LDV41S

Has anyone ever used one of these to cut paper patches? Any reason that it wouldn't work?
    Last edited by Thundermaker; 12-23-2022 at 04:30 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

You may have to play with the blade tension some. Paper cuts a lot easier than woven cloth. The cloth may want to fold over. One of the rolling cutters may be a better choice.

Boolit Master
    My wife has a cutter, looks like a pizza cutter, that she lets me use. I use to cut flannel patches with, just put flannel on cutting mat and roll over and it is cut.

I don't always cut cloth, but when I do, I use a scissors.

Boolit Buddy

You can get rolling cutters cheaper and they are scary sharp. Any craft or hobby shop will have them. GW

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    I don't always cut cloth, but when I do, I use a scissors.
    And drink Dos Equis?

Boolit Buddy
    I guess I should have specified that I'm talking about paper patches for paper patched bullets.

Boolit Man
    I don’t use one but it looks like it should work to cut the strips at least. This could be a time saver. However, I don’t see how you could use it with the precision necessary to cut the angles.

JKR

If you do a lot of it, you could look for one of the dye cutting machines that crafters use for scrapbooking. They are a bit expensive, but after you program in your parameters, it is very repeatable. If your significant other is into that sort of thing, you could give it to her as a present.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master

I use one of that type to cut to the right width and use a template to get the length right.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-SureC...s%2C341&sr=8-5

This is the style cutter I use, seems to work well. I cut a bunch of strips the width of the patch, staple the strips at each end in small stacks and then trace the patch pattern and then cut the patches.

I use one very similar. It's worked great for many years. Just resharpen the blade when it gets dull.

Boolit Master
    I have one like that that I use for cutting paper patches and occasionally cloth cleaning patches. Doesn't work all that well on cloth. Finally talked the wife into cutting the cloth patches with her rotary cutter.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Master
    I see it says it will cut up to 10 sheets. That is an optimistic number if you want them somewhat precise. I sharpen a lot of paper cutters each year. The plastic ones are less robust that the old cast iron and maple ones BUT totally functional. I would not cut more than 4-5 thicknesses to maintain a good cut.

They should be fine for cutting strips. Cutting the angled patches themselves merely require a jig to hold the strips at your chosen angle. Easily made.

Please, keep us posted of your results.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Thundermaker I used one of those and they are not the best if you want to cut more than one patch at a time. It will pull the paper when you cut several sheets stacked.
    A roller cutter is the way to go. I staple 16 sheets together as well as the strips on each end and every one is cut identical doing it this way. You will get a nice clean cut.
    A lot of those roller cutters mention 10 sheets but I think that is for the heavier 20# or 25# printer paper that is thicker than the paper most use for patches that will run from .0015" to maybe .0025".
    It takes me about an hour to cut 600+ patches. It takes more time marking a sheet full of patched than it does cutting them.
    If you have a good scanner that will duplicate exact you can print out several sheets so you don't have to draw up each top sheet every time you need more patches cut.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3415.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	308426Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3413.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	308427

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3411.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	308428Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3416.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	308429

Boolit Grand Master

The blades for the rolling paper cutters arnt expensive buy a couple spares with the cutter.

I converted one to a patch cutter it isnt a lot of work,
    I added a fence/stop on the outside side of the cutter. This was a piece of 3/4 x 3/4 aluminum angle and some spacers top leg of the angle faces the cutter. it is 2" longer on each end. this is bolted in with the top level with the table. the spacers hold it in place. in the ends is a 1/4" hole from each end. this is the mount for the fence / stop.
    2 1/4 20 rods are bolted in to the holes with 4 hex nuts thee are tightened once and stay that way. the actual stop is 2 pieces a identical piece of 3/4 x 3/4 angle the same length as the mount and a piece of 1/8 x 1 1/2 also the same length. these can be bolted or epoxied together with the top leg in. Layout the 1/4" hole pattern and clamp all 3 together dill the 1/4" holes together. Here 4 wing nuts or thumb nuts are used. You need 2 pieces of 1/4 20 threaded rod. the fence slifes on the ready rod the thumb nuts are the adjustment. Make these rods longer than the longest piece you want to cut. A nice upgrade is a piece of 1/8 x 3/4 c length needed ro tie the ros ends together and hold thespacing at the end. Again 4 hex nuts to lock it together.
    The added length on the fence helps when cutting angles as they may miss one at the bed width.

Now to the cutter side of the bed
    The angle gauge rail can be done 2 ways.
    I used plexiglass for mine.
    A simple 1" strip 10" long with a 3/4"x 3/4" foot on the bottom at each end that has a point centered on it. This is a simple sine bar and requires measuring to set.
    The next is a triangle with the long leg at the desired angle and a base that puts the strip at the proper height. this one just sits in place against the rail.
    both are held in place with double faced tape.
    Last if you are working from a roll of paper is a holder for it. a couple arms and a rod so it cant take off. When they get going they roll a long ways. Make the arms longer than the bed to give room to work

The triangle is the faster easier way to go. The sine bar allows easily trying different angles. thinking on it if you made the bar as long as the bed angles could be premeasured and the front point marked and the angles marked along the back edge of the bed.
    you do need to measure the fence both ends when setting to maintain parallel. for this a simple steel rule is fine. A 12" if your cutting sheets from a roll.

Boolit Bub
    My 3D printed solution for cutting strips and final patches.

UPDATED:
    Improved tools
    1. Guide rulers printed with an arc. When the arced guide ruler is pressed down, the paper is held in place very tightly.
    2. Width adjustable guide rulers using adapters in 1/16" increments.
    3. The paper patch cutting templates were redesigned and made adjustable. Can be adjusted to cut paper to fit any length between .40 and .45
    4. A paper strip alignment guide was added to help keep the paper strips aligned while positioning the paper patch cutting templates.

New video.
    https://odysee.com/@bpcr3d:3/Cutting...Bo4UEPkCGFwDGU
    Last edited by flemdoug; 01-13-2023 at 09:14 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    …The blades for the rolling paper cutters arnt expensive buy a couple spares with the cutter...
    That part I understand. The rest of it? For some reason, the part of my brain that puts words into images has not been active for several years or maybe decades. Can you post an image?

Thank you.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’ve used the roller type and I believe they are cheaper.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by flemdoug View Post
    My 3D printed solution for cutting strips and final patches.

https://odysee.com/@bpcr3d:3/paper-p...utting-tools:6
    That's really nice.

Chris.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast