Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 22 Hornet

Boolit Grand Master

22 Hornet

So what's your favorites for the bug?
    personally I like w-296 and 2400 with 35-45 gr bullets and boolits
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

For Hunters Pistol , l like 4.5 gr of Unique under the 55gr lee checked , sized .225 lubed with 2500+ lit with a WSP . Shoots right at MOA out of a 10" Contender . EDIT I just noticed that this is in hunting , what I had worked up was 10 gr of H110 under a 45 gr Hornady Hornet bullet , lit with a Fed SR . I've never got to use it on anything .

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by marshall623; 12-22-2022 at 09:09 PM.
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Boolit Buddy
    I tried several and ended up with 1680, also use it in the 218 bee and 25-20.
    Barry

Boolit Grand Master
    I use Lil Gun w/40-50gr bullets

Boolit Grand Master

Good ole 2400 works for me.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

11.5 gr 296 with 40 gr VMax for approx. 2900 fps in my #3 Ruger.
    I have shot thousands of sage rats with this load.

Cast Boolits Owner

Quote Originally Posted by marshall623 View Post
    ……... EDIT I just noticed that this is in hunting ……..

So did I. It has been moved to “CB Loads, Your Favorite Cartridge”

I have a few hornets so am interested in this thread.

Rob
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

I love my Hornet. It's even part of my email address. Mine is an older CZ with the funky safety, but it shoots! I don't even know how many groundhogs I killed with that thing over the years. Anyway, it's a good one. Most were taken with 10 grains of AA#9 over a 35 grain Hornady V-max bullet. Velocity is 3000-3100 fps and groups are one hole at 100 yards. I started noticing during the hot summer I would get loose primer pockets after a few firings so I dropped it back to 9.5 grains and case life was longer. No perceptible difference in performance. Hogs are dead with violent expansion to 175 ish yards. After that expansion can be iffy and you better make sure you hit them good.

A couple years ago I got an NOE 37 grain 22 caliber flat point mold off a member here. I was just getting into powder coating at the time and I started off PCing bullets for the Hornet. These are plainbase bullets so I wasn't trying for full velocity, but I thought a 22 magnum equivalent load would be useful here on the farm. I found 5 grains of Herco gave 2200 fps velocity and one inch groups at 100 yards, which was good enough. This load zaps groundhogs with authority and it's fairly quiet, at least compared to full power loads. I've used it on a few squirrels and it really nails them too. The flat points don't tear things up like a hollow point but they still do a good job.

After reading various accounts of folks using small pistol primers in the Hornet I decided to give them a try. They work perfectly! I have no pressure signs with even my hottest loads, and I get better accuracy. I shot some loads with pistol primers over my chronograph to see what was going on and they showed less deviation in velocity than with small rifle primers. I think the Hornet is such a small case that rifle primers are just a little too much for it. For me, pistol primers are the way to go. Velocity is equal to that produced by rifle primers, and you get less shot to shot variation resulting in better accuracy. YMMV and all that, but these loads have worked well for me. As always, use caution and work up to maximum loads slowly while watching for signs of excess pressure.

Lil'Gun wasn't originally marketed for the Hornet, but it beats all others hands down, no matter the bullet weight.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    1680 and 35gr vmax as well as some 33gr overruns from midway with the same rounded vmax profile ment for 22mag do well in my 77/22 k hornet. Lilgun just plain sucked in my configuration. High pressure even below start charges. Some people have great luck with it. Me, not so much. Too bad cause it is plentiful at my local gun store. 1680 for me right now until some thing else proves better. H110 was ok but 1680 Gave me moa at worst.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dale2242 View Post
    11.5 gr 296 with 40 gr VMax for approx. 2900 fps in my #3 Ruger.
    I have shot thousands of sage rats with this load.
    Back in the day I used about the same, loading 40 gr Speer or Sierra's over 12.5 H110. Literally have shot the barrel out of my #3 shooting thousands of sage rats, red diggers, rock chucks, bits, crows, magpies and several coyote's. Picked up a 10" contender 22H to shoot sage rats while long range shooting rock chucks with a 6,5-280. I got to where I wouldn't shoot a chuck under 300 yards so used the Contender on the rats as they would pop up from 25 yards out to 200 yards. Same load out of the Contender ran 2500 fps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Red Diggers with 22 Hornet.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	115.4 KB 
ID:	308416
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master
    I am trying cfe-blk now 45 gr bullet at 2500 fps (is what they claim, the load data)
    I to am shooting a CZ 527 American, the safety is funky and missed a coyote because of it
    it does take some getting used to
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    Lil Gun is my favorite now in my .22 K-Hornet. 13.0 grains + 45 Speer yields right at 2850fps, with accuracy hovering around 1/2 -3/4 MOA. I found CCI small pistol magnum primers to provide the bit of extra pizazz to narrow SD of velocity. With all other powders I use small pistol primers. Note: the rifle is a cherry Winchester M54 re-chambered by Lyle Killbourn himself, with 8x Lyman Junior Targetspot, 1-16" twist, .223 groove diameter.

I recently bought a pound of 1680 to try but found it to be a miracle worker in my Martini Cadet .357 Maximum (26" barrel) so none has found its way into a Hornet case!

Best cast bullet load that universally works well in all my Hornets, K and Standard, as well as my 5.6x35R kiplauf is the Lee Bator (52 grain out of my mold with my alloy), cast 10-11bhn, and propelled by 6.0 grains 2400. Performance/utility equals .22WMR. (The stubby bullet is short enough to stabilize even in the 1-16" twist of my M54 Winchester.)

Additionally, good old #225438 over 2.5-3.0 grains Bullseye is a close runner-up as a favorite. Used un-sized (well, pushed through a die that doesn't alter as-cast diameter but which serves to seat the GC) it is a sweet performer in the Stevens 44 lined to .22WCF. (Same Hornet dies used for this and 5.6x35R, but substitute a larger expander ball.)

Moderator Emeritus

Lil'Gun for jacketed.
    2400 for cast.
    Red dot for slow-motion cast.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Lil'Gun wasn't originally marketed for the Hornet, but it beats all others hands down, no matter the bullet weight.
    In older Savage rifles I always favored the 40 or 45 gr jacketed bullets over 11.5 gr H4227. It was always an exceptional load in those rifles. In the older Savage rifles and the Ruger #3 I also found 4.5 gr Unique under the 225415, 225438 and the 225462 cast bullets to be an excellent load.

These days my main Hornet rifle is my Savage M40. With jacketed bullets [most always the Hornady 45 gr Hornet bullet] I load them over 13 gr Lil'Gun in WW cases with WSP primers. Velocity runs 2931 fps with 10 shots consistently into 1 - 1.5" at 200 yards. The measured psi runs only 24,000! The M40 has a 14' twist so I will work with the 225414, 225438 and the 225462 in it one of these days......

Name:	003.JPE 
Views:	23 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	308418

My 10" Contender has seen a lot of 225415s over 4.5 gr Unique which killed a lot of sage rats also while I was rock chuck shooting. However, the 10" contender has been threaded for my Gemtech 5.56 suppressor and has a folding arm brace stock on it. I shoot the 45 gr Hornady Hornet w/Lil'Gun for a sonic load. For subsonic I use the 225415 loaded over 1.8 gr of Bullseye for 1050 fps. It is quieter than my 22 cal pellet rifle. Using 2.0 gr runs 1100 fps but the bullet "snaps" as it exits the suppressor.

Name:	0628211259.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	308420
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    Small pistol primers are ok, or use the original hornet primers, the Remmy 6 1/2.
    I prefer the Remmy 6 1/2, they were usually always easier to find too, since those reloading higher pressure cartridges that take SR cant use them. They also work very well for 30 carbine, any older, lower pressure rifle cartridges, or in any SP cartridges.
    So their actually quite versatile to keep on the shelf..

Boolit Master
    OP “which bug”?!

In the Hornet, it’s 12.5gr of Lil’Gun with a small pistol primer under the Sierra 40gr Varminter (spitzer hollow point).3,000fps from Ruger M77/22 KBZ.

In the .218Bee (Marlin M1894CL); its 14.0gr of H4198 under a 45gr Sierra .224” SMP. 2,800fps.

The Bee also likes the 12.5gr of Lil’Gun under a Armscorp 40gr JFP RFN. I bought 1,200 when they were $49/1000.

Both like the Lyman #22415 (my ancient mold) now #224-415 50gr PTD-FNGC over 4.7gr of Unique or 6.2gr of #2400 @.225” COWW+2% 95/5 lead free solder.

Boolit Buddy
    I tried Lil'Gun when I first got my Ruger 77-22 Hornet and I found the barrel got scorching hot after 3 rounds loaded with Lil-Gun. Since the rifle came with a just enough of that powder to reload a couple hundred rounds. I had bought another pound but I sold it and pulled down my loaded rounds and dumped the rest of it. I've tried 2400 but I think it's a bit fast and Reloader 7 is too slow but I've been pleased with the results with 4227 with jacketed bullets and I've not yet tried it with cast boolits...

Tony
    Hi, my name is Tony and I'm addicted to gunpowder.

AKA Geezerbiker

Boolit Buddy

My Ruger 1V Hornet likes a 45gr Hornady hollow point and 12.5 grs. Winchester 680 ball powder. 680 Win powder hit the surplus market a few years back. I think it might be marketed now as 1680 powder??? maybe someone out there would know? Its real fine ball powder that meters well. Bought 60 lbs of it @ $3.00/lb Am down to 40lbs Gave a lot away to shooting buddies. It works good in other cartridges too. 357 mag and 44mag The 44mag likes 300gr cast boolits. Shoots terrific in my Marlin 44 Mag.

I played with just about everything and lilgun and 35-45’s are what my hornets like.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast