RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Reloading Everything

Thread: Springfield 1922

Boolit Master

Springfield 1922

Stopped at a local pawn shop and they had a Springfield 1922. Did not look to be in bad shape except for a missing front sight and he said the barrel had been shortened. Asking $999.00 for it, but said he had some room to barter. I don't know much about them. I don't know much about them and I think this one might not have much collector value, but it felt really nice and might make a good shooter. Would it be sacrilege to put a scope on it. School me on them before I make a nearly 1000 dollar mistake.

My opinion only, save your money.

Slim
    Last edited by slim1836; 12-22-2022 at 11:40 PM. Reason: I can't spell in my golden years
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Grand Master
    It has already been molested. It will never be in like new shape again.

IF you can live with it, nothing wrong with d&t.

If on the other hand you want one that is as original, pass.

I'm not sure how they shoot, but I have to think if all you want to do is shoot tiny groups, a brand new CZ will be cheaper.

Robert

Is it just missing the sight or has the barrel been shortened? Front globe sights are available. Does it have a correct lyman recvr rear sight? Has the stock been sanded on? I would not d&t it. It’s too much $ with it missing the sight. Photos would help.

I have several mint Springfield 22's. I think they are top of the line made guns and very accurate too if the chamber and barrel are not screwed up. yes the CZ or even the 10/22 are great, more modern for sure, easy to scope, shoot well enough and much cheaper in cost. But if you like history, and like military stuff then having the Springfield is lots of fun! The cut barrel rifle will not have collector value so like others have said, the price is pretty high for a shooter. Good honest Springfield's are not hard to find if being patient. The best scope setup using blocks on the barrel and a 10x Lyman Junior scope as they will clear the bold handle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Springfield22.jpg  

Boolit Master

The original rear peep is there. There are two holes near the muzzle where the front sight was. I may need to take a tape measure in and check barrel length, because if it were cut it was well done. The bluing matches the rest of the rifle and the muzzle is crowned nicely. Hard to get pics since it is in a pawn shop.

Moderator Emeritus
    The 1922 is a REALLY nice bolt action .22. Mine is a M2 and shoots into about 1/2" at 50 yds from a rest with the peep sight. It is probably my favorite .22. Here are a couple links:
    https://www.rifleshootermag.com/edit...d_201002/83459
    https://www.gun-tests.com/rifles/rif...lr-bolt-gun-3/

If a pawn shop has a $1K price tag on any item, keep in mind that they only have about 50% of the tag value into whatever.

So, over mane decades of doing pawn shop deals, I've learned the bes way to handle them.

If it was me, and I decided I want it, I would tell the pawn shop owner (not some clerk) that "I want to buy it, the this is all I have" - then lay $600 cash on the counter.

Once that's done, I wouldn't say one word until the shop owner responds - remember, he who speaks first, loses.

( Even a fish wouldn't get in trouble, if it would keep it's mouth SHUT )

If he says no, then take your cash and WALK AWAY - there have been a few times when I never made it to the door before I got called back to do the deal.

Last edited by pietro; 12-23-2022 at 11:31 AM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

If a pawn shop has a $1K price tag on any item, keep in mind that they only have about 50% of the tag value into whatever.

So, over mane decades of doing pawn shop deals, I've learned the bes way to handle them.

If it was me, and I decided I want it, I would tell the pawn shop owner (not some clerk) that "I want to buy it, the this is all I have" - then lay $600 cash on the counter.

Once that's done, I wouldn't say one word until the shop owner responds - remember, he who speaks first, loses.

( Even a fish wouldn't get in trouble, if it would keep it's mouth SHUT )

If he says no, then take your cash and WALK AWAY - there have been a few times when I never made it to the door before I got called back to do the deal.

Great advice!

From what your telling us the barrel may not have been cut just recrowned, The rear sight is a great value and hard to come by now. When scope mounting these rifles just remove the rear sight slide for clearance and leave the base intact, that way you can go back and forth from scope to peep easily. 1/2 inch groups and even better can be achieved with a good barrel and crown and I have found plain old Blazer lead ammo to be very accurate in these barrels if one does not over clean them. lead buildup is minimum and does not require much cleaning and I for one never use brushes in any 22 if only shooting lead bullets which is all I shoot for any 22LR.
    Last edited by gc45; 12-24-2022 at 04:04 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gc45 View Post
    From what your telling us the barrel may not have been cut just recrowned, The rear sight is a great value and hard to come by now. When scope mounting these rifles just remove the rear sight slide for clearance and leave the base intact, that way you can go back and forth from scope to peep easily. 1/2 inch groups and even better can be achieved with a good barrel and crown and I have found plain old Blazer lead ammo to be very accurate in these barrels if one does not over clean them. lead buildup is minimum and does not require much cleaning and I for one never use brushes in any 22 if only shooting lead bullets which is all I shoot for any 22LR.

The front sight is missing. Looking through pics on the internet I'm not sure whether the front site is screwed on or dovetail mount. There are two screw holes near the muzzle. Also, most references say the rifle is parkerized. This definitely seems blued. I may try and take another look next week. I want it for a shooter, collector value is nice if there is any, but not my primary concern.

Boolit Master
    If you can't read the Armory markings on the top of the barrel behind where the rear sight should be (unless polished off for refinishing purposes), and it's d/t'ed up there for an aftermarket sight, it's been cut. It should also have a spline for the front sight collar to fit onto if unmolested.

An unmolested M2 barrel will be 24" nominally, from muzzle to bolt face, and 23 5/16" exactly from muzzle to the front of the receiver ring. (I just measured a couple of mine.)

$1K is too much if it's been molested and reblued. The $600 mentioned earlier is way more realistic. That said, they are wonderful shooters - and real man-sized "adult" .22 rifles. Accuracy typically is 1/2MOA or less with good ammo, and with headspace adjusted tight with the adjustment screw on the locking lug.

D/T'ing for scopes: the Armory would sell you an M2 d/t'ed for target scope blocks, so if you did that no one could ever say it wasn't done at the Armory 90 years ago. Steve Earle sells the proper Unertl scope blocks for Springfields. A Unertl/Fecker/Lyman Targetspot will sit high enough that the bolt handle should clear it. Protocol back then was to push the scope out of the way with your RH thumb when retracting the bolt if the handle does hit, no big deal once you get the hang of it. Conversely, Steve Earle also sells slightly higher scope blocks to put it up out of the way if the handle hits and you don't like doing the "thumb bit".