Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cold weather lube. . .what is the latest and greatest?!?!?!?

Boolit Buddy

Cold weather lube. . .what is the latest and greatest?!?!?!?

I have been playing around with various lubes and yet to find one that will perform well out of a southern hunting season cold barrel. I'm not talking in the negative digits, but a lube that works best in the 20's to the 90's of the southeastern United States where I mainly hunt. I'm not a target shooter although I do demand extreme accuracy from my firearms, and I predominantly hunt with .357, .44 and .45 caliber rounds. I currently use a 50/50 mix of Ben's Red and LSS 2500+ lubes and they work great above 40 degrees, but below that boolits don't come together on paper until the chamber warms up. I want something that is a first shot/cold barrel accurate lube. Does it exists???

I have read over the various "Stickies" posted in the Lube Forum and most threads are from years back and not updated, but has anyone come up with a lube (whether home brew or store bought) that fits the bill? PLEASE, point me in the right direction, let me know what has worked best for you for a year round boolit lube. Thank you and Happy Holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by OFFSHORE View Post
    I have been playing around with various lubes and yet to find one that will perform well out of a southern hunting season cold barrel. I'm not talking in the negative digits, but a lube that works best in the 20's to the 90's of the southeastern United States where I mainly hunt. I'm not a target shooter although I do demand extreme accuracy from my firearms, and I predominantly hunt with .357, .44 and .45 caliber rounds. I currently use a 50/50 mix of Ben's Red and LSS 2500+ lubes and they work great above 40 degrees, but below that boolits don't come together on paper until the chamber warms up. I want something that is a first shot/cold barrel accurate lube. Does it exists???

I have read over the various "Stickies" posted in the Lube Forum and most threads are from years back and not updated, but has anyone come up with a lube (whether home brew or store bought) that fits the bill? PLEASE, point me in the right direction, let me know what has worked best for you for a year round boolit lube. Thank you and Happy Holidays.
    Huge fan of MML - Mike's Magic Lube - specifically for cold weather lube from a cold barrel. Sorry, don't have "the" link as I've seen a couple variations, but ingredients I use are:

3 LB Beeswax
    1 LB Canning Paraffin
    1 -14oz tube of cheap caramel colored lithium auto grease
    1/2 LB Microwax 430 from blended waxes .com

Most use a double boiler to melt the waxes (be careful on the beeswax) then blend in the lithium grease. I know others will know this one a lot better than myself, but it's my hunting lube (brutally cold, sometimes, northwoods).
    -Paul

Boolit Master
    Are you using a lubed patch to polish the throats and barrel to condition it before you go shooting, or is it a cold and clean barrel?

Boolit Master
    Having cold weather flyers (<35*) with my 338W Magnum. Switched from Carnauba Red to Lars 2500+ lube. Tried different powders, as well as, brass headstamps. Even newer/one time fired brass.

My Marlin 1894 (44 Magnum) doesn't suffer from the malady, with either lube.

I don't clean my barrels, only the actions.

I have a backyard range. I leave my rifle and ammo outside, while I hang a cardboard target backing with four separate targets. I take one shot at each target every twenty minutes. Compare POI, only after all four shots are taken. Record data and repeat, next day, weather permitting.

Suspect the powders aren't filling the case over 50%-60% capacity. However, I'd rather not use Dacron. I always point the rifle upwards, before firing, making sure the powder is against the primer.

Winelover

Moderator Emeritus

I'd try Satan's Lube, see info on this thread.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-maximum-lubes

BUT, in General, boolit lubes with "slickener" ingredients will throw more fliers (cold barrel or not), than lubes with no "slickeners."
    Also, bore condition, as winelover hints at, is a major reason for cold barrel fliers.
    Good Luck.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I'd think the lube for one or two shots would matter less than what is or isn't inside that cold barrel.

I've noticed that the first shot 'flyer' is worse when it's the first one out of a nice clean barrel.
    Once there is some fouling/residue, the shots seem to settle down to nice groups.
    This holds true for jacketed too, that don't have any lube at all.

In the scheme of things, our winters down here aren't really that cold.
    I'd try some range time with a cold barrel that has had one or two shots worth of fouling left in it
    before going all scientific about splitting hairs for lube.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    My barrels are always fouled. I only clean them after 200 rounds have been fired or accuracy is diminishing and then after hunting season is over, but I will shoot 3 rounds to keep the bore fouled. In 30 degree temps using my 44 MAG I can have as much as a 4 vertical rise in groups using my current lube. But in warm conditions the handgun is very accurate and consistent. During cold sits in a treestand I would keep a few cartridges in my pocket and just slide one in the chamber when I had deer approaching. . .well, a couple weeks ago I got caught by a nice buck when he heard my action close from me loading it (and I was being ever so quiet) and that was a terrible lesson to learn. That is what has me in search of a better lube for year round shooting/hunting. So, I hope I can find this with you all's help.

Boolit Master
    Since temperature seems to be a factor, is it lube, or maybe the primer selection or the powder choice and is hard to burn efficiently? A chrono reading might be helpful to you here if one is available. Also a cold gun oil might be slowing down the hammer fall. When was the last time the revolver was completely serviced?

Boolit Buddy
    Powders and primers I use for my handguns, both T/C Contenders and Ruger/S&W revolvers are; Alliant 2400 and VV N110, CCI Mag and Winchester LP. With J-word bullets I have no issues with temperatures and accuracy with these loads, thats what leads me to believe it is possibly my lube. I totally enjoy casting and loading my own bullets, and it is a great feeling when taking game with something you have made. . .I don't want to be forced to use jacket bullets for cooler months and cast for warmer. My guns are clean and I take very good care of them, so I don't think that would be the issue.

Boolit Grand Master

For Southern Cold Weather Lube , Louisiana tested , I have always had success with an old lube known as Lithi-Bee ... it is a soft lube in summer for sure . But a nice cold weather lube .
    1 part Lithium Grease (such as Lucas Red-N-Tacky) blended with 3 parts clean Beeswax .
    Use weight as your measure , 1 pound Lithium Grease to 3 pounds Beeswax .

I have used it for all handgun and cast boolit 30-30 Loads and have never leaded a barrel with it . This recipe might be just what you're looking for .
    Gary

Just remembered something ... If you can't take a fouling shot(s) with your rifle before the hunt , run a Lithi-Bee lubed patch to condition the bore ... it's better than taking that first shot from a squeaky clean cold barrel .
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 12-24-2022 at 06:37 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Speaking only about VV N-110, I checked their web site and they had no cast bullet listing for this powder. What is the bullet weight, powder weight and source of your data? For 44 mag.

https://www.vihtavuori.com/reloading.../?cartridge=47

Boolit Master
    I have been playing around with various lubes and yet to find one that will perform well out of a southern hunting season cold barrel.
    I currently use a 50/50 mix of Ben's Red and LSS 2500+ lubes and they work great above 40 degrees, but below that boolits don't come together on paper until the chamber warms up.
    I want something that is a first shot/cold barrel accurate lube. Does it exists???
    If your current lube won’t group shots till the chamber and barrel warms up then your lube is too hard for the ambient temperature.
    I have read many post where NLGI #2 grease (Lucas Red-N- Tacky etc.) is use as a component in bullet lube.
    According to NLGI -40*F&C is the low end operating temperature of NLGI #2 GC-LB grease, the upper hot temperature rating is over 300*F

I doubt such a high temperature rating is required even for use in the summer temperatures.
    Perhaps a softer consistency grease (NLGI 1 grade) should be substituted for the #2, or a grease made from synthetic oils with a low temperature rating.

All the bullet lubes I have read about use beeswax as a very large percentage of their overall make up.
    I suspect it is the beeswax component or the high % of beeswax that ruins the bullet lube low temperature shot grouping ability.
    Perhaps a straight grease at a much denser grade like #4 (I believe grease grades go up to NLGI #6) might work as a bullet lube across all seasons in all latitudes.
    Last edited by greenjoytj; 12-27-2022 at 10:26 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    For Southern Cold Weather Lube , Louisiana tested , I have always had success with an old lube known as Lithi-Bee ... it is a soft lube in summer for sure . But a nice cold weather lube .
    1 part Lithium Grease (such as Lucas Red-N-Tacky) blended with 3 parts clean Beeswax .
    Use weight as your measure , 1 pound Lithium Grease to 3 pounds Beeswax .

I have used it for all handgun and cast boolit 30-30 Loads and have never leaded a barrel with it . This recipe might be just what you're looking for .
    Gary

Just remembered something ... If you can't take a fouling shot(s) with your rifle before the hunt , run a Lithi-Bee lubed patch to condition the bore ... it's better than taking that first shot from a squeaky clean cold barrel .
    Gary
    Gary,
    Thank you very much for the advice and recipe. How does this stack-up to the 666+1 or SL-71B lubes??? These are others that are supposed to be "cold weather" shooters!?!?!?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by greenjoytj View Post
    If your current lube won’t group shots till the chamber and barrel warms up then your lube is too hard for the ambient temperature.
    I have read many post where NLGI #2 grease (Lucas Red-N- Tacky etc.) is use as a component in bullet lube.
    According to NLGI -40*F&C is the low end operating temperature of NLGI #2 GC-LB grease, the upper hot temperature rating is over 300*F

I doubt such a high temperature rating is required even for use in the summer temperatures.
    Perhaps a softer consistency grease (NLGI 1 grade) should be substituted for the #2, or a grease made from synthetic oils with a low temperature rating.

All the bullet lubes I have read about use beeswax as a very large percentage of their overall make up.
    I suspect it is the beeswax component or the high % of beeswax that ruins the bullet lube low temperature shot grouping ability.
    Perhaps a straight grease at a much denser grade like #4 (I believe grease grades go up to NLGI #6) might work as a bullet lube across all seasons in all latitudes.
    Do you have a lube that has worked well for you in the Canada Extreme Colds???

Boolit Grand Master
    My barrels are always fouled. I only clean them after 200 rounds have been fired or accuracy is diminishing and then after hunting season is over, but I will shoot 3 rounds to keep the bore fouled. In 30 degree temps using my 44 MAG I can have as much as a 4 vertical rise in groups using my current lube. But in warm conditions the handgun is very accurate and consistent. During cold sits in a treestand I would keep a few cartridges in my pocket and just slide one in the chamber when I had deer approaching. . .well, a couple weeks ago I got caught by a nice buck when he heard my action close from me loading it (and I was being ever so quiet) and that was a terrible lesson to learn. That is what has me in search of a better lube for year round shooting/hunting. So, I hope I can find this with you all's help.
    That would a tough lesson for sure.

There was a guy who used to post here who did a lot of testing at really cold temperatures. He did the best job I have ever seen in "the quest". I wish I could find the work he did, but I do not use cast for hunting so never saved his threads.

IIRC most of the threads you will find from the "Three Amigos" concerned first shot out of cold barrel POI and good performance over a wide range of temperatures. I do not believe they tested in cold temperatures.
    At least what I consider cold....but more inline with what you consider cold.

It was the work of the "Three Amigos", as well as the first gentleman mentioned, that put the nail in coffin wrt to using cast bullets to hunt. Living in northern MI, I had not only first shot out of a cold barrel to deal with but I could be hunting in temperatures for -10 to 70 degrees.

One of the Three Amigos was gearnasher if you want to search. My search abilities are pathetic or I would help you out.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

I am not sure I would blame all the POI shift on the lube? My guess is the 4 is 4 inches? At what distance? I own several firearms that the clean bore shot will be a couple of minutes off but the 30/30's, 35 Rem's and 45/70's that I own don't shift POI anywhere never what you are experiencing even at temps as low as minus 10.

I have had noticeable changes in accuracy when the lube didn't like the temp but POI has been consistent for me.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-02-2023 at 07:31 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post

There was a guy who used to post here who did a lot of testing at really cold temperatures. He did the best job I have ever seen in "the quest". I wish I could find the work he did, but I do not use cast for hunting so never saved his threads.

IIRC most of the threads you will find from the "Three Amigos" concerned first shot out of cold barrel POI and good performance over a wide range of temperatures. I do not believe they tested in cold temperatures.

It was the work of the "Three Amigos", as well as the first gentleman mentioned, that put the nail in coffin wrt to using cast bullets to hunt. Living in northern MI, I had not only first shot out of a cold barrel to deal with but I could be hunting in temperatures for -10 to 70 degrees.

One of the Three Amigos was gearnasher if you want to search. My search abilities are pathetic or I would help you out.
    Eutectic tested some lubes in below zero temps at his place in the Rocky's.
    a couple others were
    Bullshop (at that time, he tested in AK)
    and
    357maximum (who lives in northern MI, he is the one that came up with 666+1)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post

Don,
    I have read a ton of posts/threads concerning boolit lube, and I don't know this for sure, but I believe the "Three Amigos" you speak of are;
    Gearnasher, 357Maximum, and Runfiverun. Not sure why these guys were banned from the forum, but I did read a lot of their posts and they were a knowledgeable group - in my opinion. Thank you, sir.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Eutectic tested some lubes in below zero temps at his place in the Rocky's.
    a couple others were
    Bullshop (at that time, he tested in AK)
    and
    357maximum (who lives in northern MI, he is the one that came up with 666+1)
    JonB,
    357maximum's 666+1 lube is on my radar (I tried it a few years ago - I think?) and another called SL-71B which I cannot find the recipe for.

Boolit Grand Master
    Jon B has a better memory that I. It was Eutectic that did the cold testing. Very interesting work IIRC.
    Don Verna

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast