Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: Casting outside tempreture

Boolit Buddy

Casting outside tempreture

I normally try to cast my 30:1 Black Powder Bullets when the temp. is a comfortable 55 - 75 *. With Winter here I have time to cast up a bunch before Summer. I would have to cast them in temp. closer to 35 - 45*. I do not know if there would be enough change that I would NOT want to mix them with previously cast bullets of the same weight. Any input?

You might want to raise your heat a little.
    If you get a good fill out with the same alloy---- I wouldn't think twice about it.

If they're the same alloy, look good, and are the same weight I can't imagine why there be a problem mixing batches.
    Now--- go out there and kill something with them before hunting season is over.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I’d much rather cast at 45 degrees than at 85! I’d seriously doubt temp would make any difference as far as mixing boolets to re cast. I don’t do black powder but I have certainly mixed boolets used with smokeless powder. I can’t see what possible difference did it make.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    If they weigh the same then no difference ?

Boolit Bub
    In January I smelted about 150 pounds into ingots when it was 27 °F with no issues. But I was not casting boolits. Much nicer to smelt/cast when it is below 60 °F.

Boolit Master
    In the Summer here it gets over 100 degrees. Winter is casting season. I cast the years worth (and more) between Fall and early Spring. I don't worry about the air temperature's effect on the alloy (there probably isn't any), I worry about its effect on me!

Boolit Master
    I keep all my batches separate no matter what the temp, but that's just me. However, I once tried to cast in ZERO degrees F and it didn't work out at all. Must have run 10 lb. thru the mold and still couldn't get a good bullet. Had to wait till spring.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Boolit Buddy
    Being in Alabama, I try to do all my casting in the winter but sometimes run short on inventory thus have to cast in the heat of summer. However, never noticed any accuracy issues besides, never thought about it. Now casting pot temperature is a whole other story. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Boolit Grand Master

The cooler air sucks heat away from both pot and mould ... you will need to increase your heat . If the wind is blowing put up something to block the wind ... it's like blowing on a hot cup of coffee ... the wind and the cold might keep you from getting to a castable temperature .
    Weigh a few bullets ... they should be close to Batch #1 cast in summer .
    If not , segregate the batches as to weight and load them accordingly .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Air temp isnt affecting the bullets at all. Keeping the mold hot may be an issue but if the pot temp is 650deg, that isnt changing with air temp. The pot will just run a bit longer. I do put a foil lid on my Lee, regardless of air temp.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Escapee from The People's Republik of Kalifornia - Now in AZ, "Where Free Men Live!"
    Quote Originally Posted by jednorris View Post
    I normally try to cast my 30:1 Black Powder Bullets when the temp. is a comfortable 55 - 75 *. With Winter here I have time to cast up a bunch before Summer. I would have to cast them in temp. closer to 35 - 45*. I do not know if there would be enough change that I would NOT want to mix them with previously cast bullets of the same weight. Any input?
    You, sir, are fretting about things which do not matter at all.

Cast your bullets and shoot them.

A 750F mold doesn't care if it is zero degrees outside.

Kalifornia passes "feel good" legislation hand over fist, legislation that is looking for a problem to solve and affecting only law abiding persons.

So, after 40 years of that nonsense, that's why I now live in Arizona.

Boolit Master

A couple of weeks ago I was casting a bunch of cores for swaging in the reloading shed. Temp was 35 degrees in the shed; 20 degrees outside the shed. No problems other than takes a while to heat pot initially; and longer to recover when ingots are added.

Last week temps below 0 degrees F every day - getting wimpy in my old age so I avoided going outside. I think it would have been much longer for melting had I gone to the reloading shed to work - not to mention the need for heavily insulated Ski pants and Coat.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Grand Master

That is no significant change. It's when you consider a swing from 70f down to -10f that I see a difference. Even then bringing pot temp up an extra 30f does the trick.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for all the input. I cast about 400 bullets in 34* temp. and they all looked great, but I DID turn up the pot a few degrees. I normally weigh all my .40 Cal. bullets and during the Summer they run 414 to 415 gr. these ran 416 to 417 Gr. I will no longer worry about outside temperature. GOOD SHOOTING.

Quote Originally Posted by fredj
    Air temp isn't affecting the bullets at all
    ^^^ THIS ^^^

Boolit Buddy
    Santa brought me a couple of new molds. I just had to try them out the day after Christmas, so I went to my unheated garage and cast 100 or so. It was 12° outside. Got to love it.

Cast outside mostly in the winter prefer cold temperatures like freezing cold just bundle up in the Carhart and insulated boots crank up the heat and cast fast! Wind can be a big factor even though I have good coverage on 3 sides and overhead extra clothes provide a little more safety

Boolit Buddy
    I tried casting yesterday with temps in the 30s and struggled. Couldn't keep heat in my cast iron pot. I may have had a 25% success rate but my propane tank was almost empty. I really need a thermometer to monitor lead temps.

Temperature of your pot inside is the only concern. At 750 to get a good hard alloy, I usually only cast at or near freezing, that 100# pot is very hot otherwise.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by brokeasajoke View Post
    Couldn't keep heat in my cast iron pot..
    If you don't already have a wind screen/shield around the base, and maybe some bricks or plate helping to direct the heat
    straight up into the pot and not letting the heat go around it, you might want to get or make something.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.