RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersPBcastco
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Henry speaks again

Boolit Buddy
    That Henry can take +P and you aren't even at black powder pressures with 7.0 of Unique. I bet your brass and gun gets filthy.

I would be concerned with the lack of blood trail and increase the load. You are probably going about 1000 fps and if you go towards max standard pressure (8.5-9 gr) you could get about 1250 fps and close to twice the power. A hard bullet at 1250 would make a wider wound, and if you would get a little bit of expansion witht the higher speed it would be dramatically larger wound than your hard 1000 fps load.

Either way I would move towards softer lead and/or a more powerful load. The Lee bullet only has a .32 meplat, and if it is rock hard and only traveling at 1000 fps it will leave a narrow wound. If the bullet was rock hard and going faster it would leave a wider wound, or if it was a little softer and the meplat could grow to 40-45 cal you would have a wider, freely bleeding wound at current speeds.

I would not be using that load on deer any more and letting Jesus take the wheel on the recovery. I have got about 6 deer with my 45 Colt rifle so far and one with a 255 in a 1911. My 950 fps 255 gr deer was a cup point that had been tested to not mushroom but turn into a 45 cal wadcutter at those speeds. When I shot the deer in the butt, the wadcutter shaped 255 was found below the skin where the backstrap meets the neck meet. The deer dropped, then got up and ran about 40 yards with a very healthy blood trail. The entrance wound was thumb sized. I know that the Lee 255, if cast hard and used for that same shot, would not have made as large of a wound because the .32 meplat vs the .45 meplat at the same speed.

I have yet to shoot a deer with my current 45 LC Rossi carbine but somewhere around a dozen feral hogs. The load I settled on gives me around 1300 fps with a Keith style 270 grain bullet. I could easily get more speed but the bullets I am using were cast years ago and the lube seems weak in it's duties. I tend to shoot for CNS and bone. It has worked very well for me so far. Super handy little rifle. As soon as I get around to it I will start casting some softer bullets, powder coat and up the speed to 1500 fps or a bit more. The little carbine kicks pretty hard with the heavier loads and it's steel buttplate is less than a pleasure. As others have said, lung shots will often have the animal travel a ways and yours met that standard. If I didn't have a bad cold I would be out hunting today.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by mnewcomb59 View Post

The Lee bullet only has a .32 meplat
    My 2 cavity and six cavity 255 RF's both have .350" meplat as close as I can measure. The 300 gr. Lee has a .390" meplat. Imagine that would hit like a truck!

Nice Deer
    Suggestion;
    Move your aiming point onto the shoulder, I center the vertical crosshair on the leg and go about a 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of the chest, just a little above their "elbow". They don't go far with both shoulders broken and with the large diameter slow bullet you eat right up to the hole. Typically get the top of the heart/arteries coming out of it so kills like a heart lung shot without the track job.
    Kevin
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? (Sgt. Oddball, KELLY'S HEROES)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    my feedback thread
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

Boolit Master
    Chuckbuster, I like your suggestion of moving my aiming point. I had thought of that already, and you just confirmed for me. I'm also going to try what my rifle will do with a little heavier powder charge, maybe try a softer boolit, too. Thanks to all that offered suggestions

Using cast solids probably the shoulders are the best to shoot & break some bone.

Boolit Mold
    Congratulations, glad you found her. Always a sinking feeling when you don’t find blood

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12