PBcastcoLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A humbling gun week

Boolit Buddy

A humbling gun week

It actually started early on Thanksgiving day, I was in my stand with bow in hand and shortly after 7:30 I seen a small buck followed by a doe and the huge 10 point I was after following her. They slowly made their way behind me in some brushy trees between 25-40 yards out. Well the big 10 started wondering further out so I decided to grunt some. It worked and he turned and started coming in and at that time the doe started to leave the area.. and so did he. By this time I thought, oh well nothing to lose so I did a "snort weeze" and he turned and started coming my way with ears laid back... ok so I get ready and the tree I'm in is suddenly in the way, with a 3" branch at eye level I tried to crouch and draw the bow at the same time, he's 20 yards away behind another tree and stepped out and spotted me, promptly leaving the area...gone but not forgotten. Should have waited..
    The Monday gun opener I was in the same tree and the activity started again around 7:30, had my Marlin 1895 with me loaded with the Noe 460-315 RF. This time a buck followed a couple does out to my left and he is a decent 8 point, they went for this thicket and I lost sight of them. About 20 minutes pass I rose to stretch a bit and saw the buck get up and move...right behind a tree with his front half covered around 60 yards out, he didn't like something and left the area almost a straight line with the tree in in the way, no shot. Tuesday morning I'm in the tree again this time the action came in from the north to my right and behind me. I spotted this button buck behind and out my left side and he's looking back...sure enough the eight point from yesterday and a doe, they make their way behind my tree and I see the buck down to my left no more than 5 yards from me, I had my gun cocked and pushed the safety off, he snorts, starts doing this bunny hop I'm bleating trying to get him to stop and they're gone.. I'm not one for shooting at running deer and so ends my week. Didn't see anything the rest of the week from the area... now to move on to muzzleloader season... and learn from these lessons, Lord willing the deer will be back in the area.
    Retired: school of hard knocks
    NRA Lifer

Boolit Buddy
    It's a double edged sword. If you don't see anything, it can be frustrating. If you have your experience where you see them but don't get a shot, it's frustrating.

But we all live for that day when the 10 point walks right into perfect alignment....even if it took 40 days or 100 days out to get it.

Best wishes for ML season.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Always better to see something in my book. Gives hope and let’s ya know ur in an active spot and not sitting in some deer desert counting sheep.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Grand Master
    I commend you for not taking a poor shot. Like you, I will not take a (first) shot at a moving game animal. I do not train for it.

I will not take a doe with a fawn either.

I get criticized by quite a few for my restrictions, but I do not need meat badly enough to compromise what I think is right.

Good luck!!
    Don Verna

At least you don't have to clean em!

Like Marko said, it's great to see them anyway, even if you don't get a shot. Like I used to tell my kids,
    "That's why we call it hunting instead of shooting."
    That's a good spot to be next season.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Enjoyed the story! Maybe that ten will give you another opportunity during ML season. Good Luck! -06

Boolit Grand Master
    man aint it fun though
    I have had hunting mishaps like you have described
    like 1 where I was hunting a very cold and very windy day
    up in a tree bow on limb and hands in pockets and the biggest
    buck I had ever seen walks directly under my stand
    but that is the kinds of things that keep us coming back for more
    best of luck to ya
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    if your seeing deer your lucky. I would see them a month or so ago, now that its gotten colder and freezes most every night the deer have moved on and coyotes have moved in, making the dogs up and down the valley go crazy a few hours after dark. maybe I out to think seriously about getting one of those night vision scoped. all I usually see is pairs of eyes off in the distance when I go out with a strong flashlight.

Paragraphs are our friends.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    At least you are seeing deer. We have so many mountain lions in our neighborhood that there are almost no deer left. We had two different lions on our trail cams in the last two weeks only a few yards from the house. On the optimistic side, the lion population should crash this winter and in a couple years we will have a bunch of deer under our apple trees in the fall again with bucks fighting on the lawn.

Boolit Grand Master

As long as you can see them, you know you are in the right area.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

Had to pass on deer twice due to brush this year. Went back with a saw and cut all the brush…

Boolit Master
    I cut all the brush back last year & didn't get the 1st buck. But they are back this year. Good year.

Boolit Buddy
    Always better to let'em walk/run. Like others said, you're in a good area. saw several deer myself a couple or 3 weeks ago but due to my position and the deer positions, couldn't shoot due to livestock in background. But, I was able to watch them for almost an hour which I considered rewarding.

Boolit Master

You sometimes remember the ones you don't shoot more than the ones you do. Good hunting.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Buddy
    It's always exciting, even when we don't shoot an animal. I thank the Good Lord every time I set out.
    I started to do a little load development with my Traditions Vortek using the Lee 452-255 Rf and Harvester black crush rib sabot over 75 volumetric grains of Blackhorn 209. Very promising. You don't need high velocities to put a deer down. I"ll shoot some thru the crony next week and see what they clock at.
    Retired: school of hard knocks
    NRA Lifer

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I commend you for not taking a poor shot. Like you, I will not take a (first) shot at a moving game animal. I do not train for it.

I will not take a doe with a fawn either.

I get criticized by quite a few for my restrictions, but I do not need meat badly enough to compromise what I think is right.

Good luck!!
    dverna, I hunt the exactly the same way you do....I applaude you and Midohnnrt ... I like the chase and the rewards when them come!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I have friends who tell me they don’t mind not bringing something home. They just enjoy being out there. The same for those who fish and don’t really care if they catch anything. Not me! If I’m putting in the effort, I hoping to bring something home to eat. Unfortunately, it doesn’t always turn out that way.

Boolit Master

A humbling gun week

I do the same as you. No shots at running deer and no does with a fawn. Better luck during ML. I hope I see one during our ML days too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm a Red Cross blood donor- are you? Make an appointment to donate today http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation
    http://www.redcrossblood.org/

FOR Disaster Relief DONATIONS-
    http://http://www.redcross.org/charitable-donations

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast