RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tell me about the 348 Winchester

Boolit Master
    I have been using old Lyman .348 gas checks. With a thousand to a box, they should last a while. Original 71, regular, not the deluxe. RCBS bullet. Or old Hornady J-words. 4064 powder. Might want to check old Handloader magazines for info. I think Barsness had an article on it. Most Lyman manuals should too. Enjoy it.

Here is a link to the article I remembered. It wasn't Barsness after all.

https://www.handloadermagazine.com/the-348-winchester

Quote Originally Posted by gunther View Post
    Hornady has .348 gas checks. Very few other sources. Buy brass as soon as you see it. Kinda scarce. I think RCBS still makes a mold for .348, other than that, Lyman used to, 350447 was the pattern number. Start looking on Foobay, and expect to pay too much.
    There are also the Lyman/Ideal 350457 (250 gr multi grease grooved Loverin FP) and 350482 (250gr blunt RN). Both of these are gas checked designs.

By the way, the 350447 is a 183,185 or 187 gr gas checked FP, depending on the year of the Lyman/Ideal reference. I've also seen the nominal 250s listed as 250, 251 or 255 gr, depending on the age of the reference.

In addition to ebay, you may be successful in obtaining old molds at gun shows or on GunBroker.com.

Boolit Master
    Accurate Molds list some also.

Boolit Master

I have had good luck with several Louverin designs in 30 caliber. I would be tempted to try such a bullet. I don't think I noticed such a bullet in the Accurate catalog but I've found the best way to get a mold when you need it is to have a sample and have Tom add it to the catalog.
    Thanks, and Merry Christmas!
    Rick

Boolit Grand Master
    Do not waste your money on the 350-447. At least in my 1950, 24" Model 71, it is much less accurate than either the RCBS or the Accurate 35-220B. For my money, the 35-220 is the boolit of choice. There are 3 versions, IIRC, varying slightly in the length of the nose. It shoots much better than the Lyman mold I had and is somewhat better than the RCBS, though not by more than 1/2 of an inch. I have shot 1 1/8," 50 yard groups on several occasions with the Accurate boolit.

I regret not buying the Browning Carbine that was for sale a while back, but at that moment, money and I were a little estranged.

Another load that works very well, despite shooting very low, is the 358-429 sized .350 and loaded over 13 grains of Red Dot or 15 grains of Unique. Recoil is mild, and for plinking and just plain fun, it is ideal. The first pic shows a pair of the Keith boolits downsized and loaded while the second shows several loaded rounds.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3-8-13 026.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	195.6 KB 
ID:	308422Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0475.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	308423
    Last edited by rintinglen; 12-23-2022 at 12:11 PM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

I'll be watching this thread closely. I've had a Model 71 for years but just never got around to playing with it till this past year. Had only mediocre results with the Lyman 350447 and 3031. Got Tom's mold but haven't tried it yet. Got some Gator checks a while ago too. Been buying up brass through the years when it shows up, so I'm ok with that for the foreseeable future.
    It's the ultimate lever gun to me. I can see why you gotta have one. It's just got class!
    Merry Christmas.

I’ve owned model 71’s in the past, never really warmed up to the rifle. I like just about all Winchester levers but only some 86’s so I’m going to chalk it up to a personal flaw. I’ve owned 2 standard 24” rifles and inherited my Father’s deluxe rifle with a bolt peep. Beautiful rifles, but something just was off between the 71’s and myself. While I like the 1886 levergun I’m not a fan of the full rifle. To heavy, to long, just doesn’t carry right for me. YMMV and probably does.
    My favorite 86’s are the extra light weight models made in 45-70 and 33 Winchester, especially in takedown. Sadly I currently don’t have one of these 86’s and with current financial conditions I suspect that won’t change unless I can work a trade.
    But, that’s changed as I found here in the swap and sell a modified 71 and a LEE 6 cavity 350 225 group buy mold new in the box. The 71 came along 6 or 7 years ago, pretty nice condition with a Lyman 56 steel receiver sight, not positive about the Lyman model number, but other modifications that were of interest to me were a 20” barrel and a full length magazine with a flat barrel band! On the down side the butt stock was not original and short at 12.5” pull in addition to having a Monte Carlo style stock. That would need to be changed as I like 14” or slightly longer pull. Kept my eye on eBay for a couple of years, then one day an original 71 short tang stock came up for “buy it now” for $20. I think it was up for sale for a total of 12 minutes. The stock fit perfectly and as I like longish pull on a rifle had a Decelerator recoil pad installed. The used Winchester stock from eBay did not have a butt plate so putting, a recoil pad on was a no brainer. This modified 71 carries like a 94 or 92 which just naturally carry, and points and shoots very well. 2” at 100 with Winchester Silvertip 200 grain from my bench, which is better then any of my other levers, go figure.
    It was an easy purchase as the seller was here in Alaska as I am, and a reasonable price sealed the deal.
    I’ve got a couple of pictures I’ll post as you can see it’s a Winchester barrel, but has been cut down, it’s doesn’t appear to be a original 20” carbine barrel but a cut down rifle barrel. As you can see the front sight is right up to the barrel end. That’s not standard, but nicely done.

Name:	7CE15E1A-559F-4EAB-B6FA-7EAA302BB289.jpeg 
Views:	31 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	308497 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	647A2814-37BB-4118-9CB0-5C64142CA3A0.jpeg 
Views:	29 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	308498

Name:	0A6CBB19-5719-479A-9AB9-C4EFDCD115BF.jpeg 
Views:	29 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	308499 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	291FCCA2-0186-4D4D-8D90-662F1CD31D85.jpeg 
Views:	24 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	308500 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	215637F0-8422-4CA2-BDFC-98CE5833825A.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	108.2 KB 
ID:	308501

I’ll be watching this thread as well. I haven’t done much with cast yet, with just a few with the LEE mold which drops at about 230 powder coated. Picked up a 2 cavity LBT mold # 350 250 which might not work, will need to play with it. Another I want to try is a mold from Accurate #35-300B, this is listed as a 348 design. But little short on money at this time..

https://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet...bullet=35-300B

It’s a big bullet going 300 grains, but I like heavy for caliber bullets, but ordered in the right diameter probably plain base and intended to be powder coated, maybe 12 - 14 BHN. Might work pretty good.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by elk hunter View Post
    If you like classic rifles and want a model 71 get one. I doubt you'll regret buying it. Brass and bullets can be scarce but can be found. I like my circa 1940 model 71 deluxe. It's built the way I like: You know blued steel and walnut. I don't really care for plastic and stainless rifles they're just not my thing. Given a chance a model 71 will start a deer's freezer training with class. I've tried a few cast loads but haven't really put any effort in to it. I do plan on working up more cast loads for it when the weather breaks next spring.

Attachment 308337
    I have a Browning 71 from the 1990's - williams peep sight - bought plenty brass when I got it - Cast Bullet Engineering 225 grain GC mold - hornady gas checks - winchester 760 powder - tried some hornady 200grain SP but they a bit fragile up close I like the cast boolit better (hogs) dont shoot it a lot but like it.

Boolit Grand Master
    +1 on the 760 powder advice--my best groups were shot with the Hornady 200 grain bullets and a grain under max using Hodgdon's data. It worked better than IMR 4350, 3031 and h4895 in my testing. One of these days, I am going to give Varget a go, if I can find any for sale when i have some money!

22.0 grains of 2400 works pretty well with the Accurate 35-220B, though it hits well below point of aim, if sighted in with full power loads. Indeed, that is my major gripe with the otherwise fine cartridge, reduced loads tend to shoot way low.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

I have 5 Model 71s, standards, deluxe, and 2 deluxe carbines, ?I'm a collector/shooter of old Winchesters. sometimes its irrational to just 'want' one but the best fix is to get one or even more. There is no way to justify a want but the fix is obvious. Dr. C

Boolit Grand Master

Did anyone bother to look at Starline Brass ? They have .348 Brass for sale. I bought a box.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy

2 DeLuxe Win71 carbines? Wow!!!

Quote Originally Posted by doccash View Post
    I have 5 Model 71s, standards, deluxe, and 2 deluxe carbines, ?I'm a collector/shooter of old Winchesters. sometimes its irrational to just 'want' one but the best fix is to get one or even more. There is no way to justify a want but the fix is obvious. Dr. C
    I would love to see a picture of these. I have Standard and DeLuxe Winchester 71's, all short tangs, one with bolt peep. Also a Browning71 carbine,plus a set of Browning71 rifle and carbine high grade. Seems I have the same affliction as you.
    I hunt bears in the spring with my "beater" 71

Boolit Master

Nice bear and rifle there Bigbear! Good to see you put yours to good use. Mine remains unfired but I need to remedy that soon.
    Take care!
    Rick

Boolit Buddy
    I have owned and hunted with Browning 71 with a 20" barrel for the last 27 years, my advice is buy it! You will be able to track down brass and to be realistic how much brass does one really need? Light loads, the case will last for ever with proper sizing and once you get a good hunting load worked up how of those do you really plink with? Mine carries so well the weight is not even noticed, proper balance makes a huge difference. I made a chamber impression upon getting the rifle and Veral @LBT made a 220gr molds that will shoot 1" groups with a receiver sight, what more can you ask for.

Jerry

Boolit Master
    It was a wonderful elk rifle for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12