Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load DataSnyders JerkyInline FabricationWideners
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell me about the 348 Winchester

Boolit Master

Tell me about the 348 Winchester

Hello all!
    Tell me what you think about the 348 Winchester. I have thought for some time about a Browning reproduction model 71 chambered as such. What bullet (mold) do you prefer? What size gas checks? What is your favorite powder?
    If I do get one from Santa it will most likely be loaded very mild, to the mid-teens velocity wise.
    Please share your thoughts.
    Thanks, and Merry Christmas to all!
    Rick

Boolit Master
    Model 71 is a great action and the .348 is a powerful cartridge that will take pretty much any big game in N. America - but it has been surpassed by other cartridges that are more efficient and ultimately more popular. You'll either love it or hate it - although sounds like you will be handloading so that may make the experience more appealing.

With light loads, you can use Unique or 2400, and likely a WW lead boolit. Gas checks may not be required if you aren't pushing for high velocity.

Boolit Master

Thank you for your quick response. Yes, it certainly will be a handloading proposition. I usually always use gas checks in rifles even at mild velocities. I have looked a bit and am "stumped" as to which gas check the 348 would take. Is there a favorite mold those of you who shoot the 348 use?
    Thanks again,
    Rick

Boolit Buddy
    The 348 is basically a lever action 30-06. Where the bullet weights overlap the velocities are very similar. Bullet diameter is of course different. I've tried both the RCBS and Lyman moulds but with no real luck on my end. Hornady use to make 348 gas checks but discontinued them, I heard they are making them again but haven't seen any. Gator gas checks does make 348 gas checks. My Browning 71 shoots very well and makes an easy to carry hunting rifle.

Boolit Master
    Orphaned brass and bullet size, hard to find and expensive

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Luber View Post
    Orphaned brass and bullet size, hard to find and expensive
    What he said.

If I wanted a lever action rifle in that caliber range I would go with a .358 Win. Seeing as you are going to load it down anyway, it makes little sense to go with a "bastard" caliber that uses "bastard" cases. And there are many good jacketed and cast bullets in 35 caliber. If they stop making .358 cases, you can use .308 cases and be good to go. But it is unlikely that .358 cases will be obsolete. It is easy for manufacturers to make them when they are tooled for .308's.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    Starline currently has 348 brass in stock.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by david s View Post
    Starline currently has 348 brass in stock.
    I saw that.
    I understand all the reasons not to but there is one reason which trumps them all......I want one!
    Rick

Boolit Master
    I have a Browning 71 with 20" barrel and a Winchester 'long tang beater' with 24" barrel. Compared to the Savage 99 in .358 and the Marlin in 45-70 or 444, the 71 in .348 is big and heavy, cannot be scoped easily and provides little advantage over the above mentioned rifles. I do own at least one of each of the others and have taken elk with them. I have shot the Winchester to some extent, using factory open sights, I can get groups under 2.5 MOA in good light using the 200 grain Hornady jacketed or Bullshop cast 225 grain bullets. Hornady did make a gummy tip and Swift makes an A-frame, I have both but have not fooled with them. Due to limited sight options and the heavy weight, I don't expect to ever take them hunting. 4350 and 760 with magnum primers were used satisfactorily for load development.

Boolit Buddy
    Hawk bullets makes 348 bullets between 165 and (165-180-200-220-250-270) 270 grains. Barnes offers their originals in 348 and Hornady may still offer the 200 grain bullet. "I want one" makes perfect sense to me.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by david s View Post
    Hawk bullets makes 348 bullets between 165 and (165-180-200-220-250-270) 270 grains. Barnes offers their originals in 348 and Hornady may still offer the 200 grain bullet. "I want one" makes perfect sense to me.
    Hello David,
    I've been perusing the Hawk bullets. I have some for my 38-55 I have yet to try. No more than I would shoot a 348 Hawk bullets certainly make sense. I already ordered bullet sizers but haven't bought the rifle just yet.
    Thanks all, and keep it coming,
    Rick

Boolit Buddy
    In my 348 Hunting load I'm still using the Barnes 220 grain X bullets they made back in the late 1990's. Still have half a box of the 220's and two boxes (100 bullets) of the 200 grain Barnes X bullets after that. For hunting rounds that should see me thru. Garage saleing we found some of the 200 grain Winchester factory and a box of Remington 200 grain loads. Like at a pawn shop you ever know what you'll find.

Boolit Buddy
    Hornady has .348 gas checks. Very few other sources. Buy brass as soon as you see it. Kinda scarce. I think RCBS still makes a mold for .348, other than that, Lyman used to, 350447 was the pattern number. Start looking on Foobay, and expect to pay too much.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RickinTN View Post
    I saw that.
    I understand all the reasons not to but there is one reason which trumps them all......I want one!
    Rick
    Maybe the better question is why do you want one?

Seems most people who are being honest with you are telling you it is a poor choice. There are always the "enablers" who will tell you what you want to hear.

.348 brass is close to $500/250.

If I had a gun from my dad or granddad in that caliber, I could justify keeping it and using it. Spending a bunch of money to buy a new gun and feed it is a question you need to answer.

Post #9 from MostlyLeverGuns should be read again IMO.

But if you really want one...just go for it. Life is too short not to scratch some itches. Enjoy your new gun!!!
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    If you like classic rifles and want a model 71 get one. I doubt you'll regret buying it. Brass and bullets can be scarce but can be found. I like my circa 1940 model 71 deluxe. It's built the way I like: You know blued steel and walnut. I don't really care for plastic and stainless rifles they're just not my thing. Given a chance a model 71 will start a deer's freezer training with class. I've tried a few cast loads but haven't really put any effort in to it. I do plan on working up more cast loads for it when the weather breaks next spring.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161004_133726.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	308337
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Buddy
    NOE has 348 Gator gas checks listed as in stock, 19 available, at $32 a thousand. And as mentioned Starline is offering brass that's listed as in stock. Not sure where everyone else lives but around here 348 ammo or components have never, even in the best of times been common. Doesn't mean there unavailable though and yes when found the cost tends to run more than say 308 or 223.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    I love my 1936 model71. Wanted one since I was a kid and finally got one this year. Hornady no longer makes the 200 grain bullet but Barnes makes the 250 original and Hawk and Fury both make bullets for it . I sourced brass from gun broker and a couple of WTS adds on the boards . My local gun store has .348 ammo in Hornady at roughly $70 a box and I was able to trade a few boxes of bullets I didn't need for six vintage boxes of ammo from a guy on the campfire. You can find components without going broke, no, they wont be cheap but neither is a lot of other stuff I shoot. If you want one buy it and ignore the "Bastard" junk written above. Nothing "Bastard" about it , it's just not creedmore and you wont be shooting it in an AR so production ammo and brass is not a top priority with the ammo makers or the component companies. Bayou brass and Ammo has gas checks for a very reasonable price and they are Vet made and nice checks.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by RickinTN View Post
    I saw that.
    Rick
    And that's the best reason in the world !
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master
    Get it ! Its a great gun. I have a year 2 Model 71. I may get to shoot a Roosevelt Elk with it. If not a son may use it. A great gun to be enjoyed.

Boolit Master
    Ill ad my 2$. I love lever guns a d always will. I have never had an opportunity to purchase a model 71 but have in the past had great buys at public auctions for 348 factory loaded winchester silvertips. I made several of these purchases through the years and made quite a profit selling the loaded ammo and vintage boxes they came in. Artwork was a bear on the box iirc.
    If you are able to source brass or loaded ammo you'll be ahead to purchase it as opposed to buying it off GB where i sold mine. It is expensive. It is also the most powerful lever action caliber ever offered and from what ive read packs a punch on both ends.
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast