Name:	5523.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	309288
    You can tell it is nose heavy

Boolit Master
    After Harbor Freigjt Red PC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5527.jpg  
    You have the right to force me to pay for the feeding, housing, clothing, education, and medical treatment of yourself and your children when I have THE RIGHT TO FORCE YOU TO PICK MY COTTON!

Section 1 13th Amendment to the Constitution:
    "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as punishment for a crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5537.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	309290
    Followed the PDF Longbow posted. Used new Cheddite 2&3/4" 36 grains of BD.

Boolit Master
    Here's the launcher. 870 express with a very old Remington rifled barrel. It had the really long and springy cantilever that took odd rings. I removed it, and used a Nikon 2x pistol scope in the scout position. There is a beer can shim between the barrel and receiver. It was last sighted in with the Lyman 525 clone slugs from an MP mold.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5524.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	153.2 KB 
ID:	309291

Boolit Master
    Double posted
    Last edited by pipehand; 01-15-2023 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Double post

Boolit Master
    All firing was done from a measured 25 yards away. It had been some time (like a year) since o had cleaned up this range, so I had to stomp down some weeds.
    I used a hickory sapling of about 2" diameter as a standing monopod to steady my aim. The point of aim was the center of the 2x2" white gorilla tape square.
    I was pretty happy as I saw holes appearing. First two shots about a one holer on the left square aand the third shot a little high and right. Same with the second aiming point- two together, and another a bit high and right, both times the third shot. All rounds loaded through the loading port, not the magazine. If you embiggafy the pics you will see the third shots impacted side on, nose down with the target.
    I don't know what to say. Rifled barrel with a projectile larger than bore diameter, a projectie that shouldn't even need rifling to be stable, and there are two identical keyholes. Any suggestions, fellow leadslungers?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5513.jpg  

Boolit Master
    BTW, with my alloy, the slugs weighed 591 grains. They didnt kick too bad at all with the 36 grains of bluedot, but I wasn't shooting off of a bench.

Boolit Master
    Cap'n Morgan, I tried the Imgur thing, but I must be stoopid. It grabbed up all my media just fine, but i could find no way to modify and send it to this thread. Might be much easier on a 'puter.
    You have the right to force me to pay for the feeding, housing, clothing, education, and medical treatment of yourself and your children when I have THE RIGHT TO FORCE YOU TO PICK MY COTTON!

"Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as punishment for a crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

Boolit Grand Master

What is your wad column? My first thought, as long as the slugs are larger than Groove diameter is that a wad, got stuck in a hollow base or possibly skirts deformed.

I have had even very thick skirt slugs cast from ACWW flair or otherwise distort. Heat treating and/or filling the hollow base with hot melt glue solved that. Also, a nitro card wad under the slug helps provide a solid flat base under the slug. Better than a hard card wad.

Did you recover any wads? I have recovered hard card wads extruded into the cavity unevenly.

You need a good stable wad column and nothing getting into the cavity plus no skirt collapse or distortion for good accuracy. It looks likes you are about there without the keyholes so solve that and you should be good to go.

36 grs. of BD should be a moderate load and not too hard on the slugs... or your shoulder!

Longbow

Boolit Master
    I used a Precision reloading plastic gas seal, and 4 - 1/8" hard nitro cards, then the slug. I don't own a hot glue gun. I thought something could be getting hung up in the cavity, but couldn't find ant of the wad column. I didn't dig in the berm for the slugs either. As far as that went, the first two shots were close enough together that they would have met in the berm. All in all, once I solve the keyhole problem, I'm very happy with how it worked. Actually, the keyholed ones are still pretty close to the group. Maybe plastic balls ofthe right size will help.

Boolit Grand Master

There are lots of things you can use to try filling the cavity:

- paraffin wax
    - flexible caulk like silicone or acrylic caulk
    - bees wax
    - drywall filler

The skirt is fairly thin on that slug so it is possible (likely) the skirts may be collapsing some and unevenly.

With the stack of nitro cards I'd say you have a hard enough wad column but the one right under the slug may be deforming and either causing skirt damage or pushing into the cavity... or both.

In my experience HB slugs tend to have deformation problems with the skirt. I should also say that all of my Foster/HB slug experience is with smoothbores though I doubt that makes any difference because the skirt distortion is going to happen either in the hull or during the passage through the forcing cone as that is where peak pressure should be.

In any case, filling a few cavities with wax or caulk or whatever is easy and cheap to try and if nothing else you get to compare results to see if it makes a difference... positive or negative.

Yes, the two group holes are very nice and if repeatable, you are close and just need to find out what is causing the keyholes. Looks like the slug and gun want to shoot!

Longbow

Boolit Master
    Parafin would seem the easiest for me. I have some around here somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by pipehand View Post
    Cap'n Morgan, I tried the Imgur thing, but I must be stoopid. It grabbed up all my media just fine, but i could find no way to modify and send it to this thread. Might be much easier on a 'puter.
    Well, I'm stoopid when it comes to smartphones, and use a PC for everything. Your best option may be to find an app to do the editing before you upload the pics.
    Cap'n Morgan

Boolit Grand Master

I use Postimages and it is pretty easy to use. It is a free account and once set up you simply upload to the default album or create a named album. Pick "Upload" then navigate to the pic.

I think IMGUR is much the same but I haven't used it.

I find that Postimages works from a cell phone but it is more difficult to navigate and when uploading it seems I can only pick one picture at a time to up load then have to re-navigate. On a PC I can navigate to the folder with pics and tag several to upload at once. However, it does work from a cell phone if that is where the pics are.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12