Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: Seneca Dragonfly Mk2 Multipump

Seneca Dragonfly Mk2 Multipump

Not long after buying my Diana Stormrider, I found out about the Seneca Dragonfly MK2.
    It is a multipump repeater with a unique linkage system.
    Having a long relationship with Benjamin and Sheridan multipumpers, I am not adverse to pumping for each shot.
    But I could see some advantages in the DF Mk2.

1) an adult size rifle with adult size stock
    2) easily scope-able
    3) threaded for a moderator
    4) easier pump strokes and pump effort doesn't increase as more pumps are used.
    5) uses rotary magazines (and also comes with a single shot tray)

The Dragonfly MK2 is the second generation. The original Dragonfly didn't have the patented Butterfly pump linkage, wasn't threaded and had a short pump handle.
    The DF Mk2 has a German Beechwood stock, light in color but with nice straight grain. The trigger and trigger guard are aluminum, the only plastic on the whole gun are the rear sight and front sight/front barrel band combo.
    The trigger is non adjustable but is quite decent and will only get better.

My DF is 39 inches long and has a 22 inch barrel. Weight is 6.5 lbs. without optic.
    The Dragonflys are very similar looking to my Stormrider, it's easy to see the family heritage.
    Both are made by Snow Peak Airguns. Snow Peak has impressed me with their quality. No burrs, bad finish or poorly fit recoil pads on an SPA gun. SPA actually goes over their guns carefully before they go out the door, no relying on the customer to do the Q.C.
    This is the kind of product that they are turning out, the M30. The barrel runs down the center of the air tube/shroud, making for a very clean look.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	artemis-m30-1-1-768x431.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	308248Click image for larger version. 

Name:	artemis-m30-1-3.jpg 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	308252Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1591327846587212bua.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	105.3 KB 
ID:	308253
    The Butterfly mechanism is the prominent feature of the Dragonfly Mk2 rifle. It consists of an extra link bar which makes the pump effort easier than the typical multipump, and the effort does not get harder as the number of pumps increases.
    Remember pumping a Benji/Sheridan ? I still have a Blue Streak. The first few pumps are easy, then 4-5 are harder, then after 6 pumps it gets much harder to pump.
    The DF MK2 has a 15 pump max, but pump #15 is no harder than pump #1.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	agd_517010356_seneca_dragonfly_mk2_1650995374.jpg 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	308249
    The pump stroke is a bit long, even if the effort is easier the DF MK2 might be problematic for youths or ladies.
    Pumping was a bit rough at first, but with lube and a few hundred pumps it smooths out. As the gun breaks in completely it will get better and better.

While deciding on what scope to get, I tried a Skinner peep made for a .22 rimfire scope groove. It did O.K., but the too fat fiber optic front sight on the DF MK2 made precision more difficult.

I did a trade with a friend and got an older Konus 4x scope. I really like it on the Dragonfly, even lighter and more compact then a Bugbuster.

I tried the inexpensive aluminum moderator than had come on the Stormrider on the DF MK2, it reduced the sound of 10 pumps to more like like 2 pumps.
    A friend standing 30 feet to the side said all he could hear is the sound of the hammer falling and target strike.

The DF likes Crosman Premiers, and really likes most all the JSB pellets.
    These targets were shot just after I got the rifle. I was getting a flyer here and there, I really need to do the pellet tests again.
    I now have some 15.89 grain JSBs that are the best yet in both of these Snow Peak guns.
    The rifle is settling in and will gradually improve. 15 yard groups, 5 shots each.

I hadn't shot my old Sheridan in a while, and after a couple weeks of shooting the new Dragonfly I broke out the 5mm for some shooting.
    Holy cow, the Sheridan was harder to cock, harder to pump, and harder for me to hit with (4x scope vs. Williams peep).
    The trigger on the new Dragonfly is easily as good as my 45 year old Blue Streak.
    The fact that the DF Mk2 uses the same 7 shot magazines and same pellets as my Stormrider is a big plus.
    I have two CARM magazines coming for the rifles, that is if they are not lost in customs.
    Last edited by sandog; 12-19-2022 at 10:28 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Nice write up!
    Don Verna

Would like to hear more about both the Stormrider and the Dragonfly. Been eyeballing both of those.
    The Stormrider may be what I want for a lower power PCP but the Dragonfly just has a certain something....

The DF MK2 sells for $199 at Airgundepot and Pyramid. Some compare it to the Crosman 362 which sells for $85, but I had no desire getting a synthetic stock and plastic receiver with no scope grooves and a single shot with no magazine capability.
    You can get an aftermarket steel breech that you can mount a scope on, and there are metal replacements for the plastic trigger and trigger guard, but by then you're into more money than the Dragonfly would have cost.
    Some like to point out that the 362 is supposed to get 850 fps in .22 caliber. A guy that bought one from Pyramid Air and left a review said he was getting 650 fps. with his 362, about the same as the Dragonfly.

I am in between chronographs so not long after I got the DF MK2 I went over to a friend and used his. Shooting the 14.3 grain Crosman Premier I got 580 with 8 pumps, 605 with 10 pumps and 650 with 15 pumps. I am fine with 8 pumps and 580 fps, you only get another 10 fps. with each additional pump.
    So nearly double the pumps only gains another 70 fps.

chutesnreloads, I did a thread maybe a month ago about the Stormrider. It's quite a gun for $220. SPA does a great job, no burrs, rough edges, cosmetic blemishes or other issues commonly found on inexpensive guns.
    I'm sure the guys with $1K and $2K PCP rifles look down on us "entry level" guys and think there is no way you can get a decent PCP for around the $200 mark.
    I had a couple Air Force rifles and a Marauder a few years back. The Air Force guns were great, the Marauder leaked like the seals were made of Swiss cheese.
    I did not want to again spend several thousand like I did with both AF rifles and a big SCUBA tank.

Stormrider was $220, side focus Bugbuster $120, Sportsmatch rings $25 and I bought a Four Uncles Chinese hand pump for $60.
    The pump has worked fine once I put Teflon tape on the gauge and bleed screw threads. The pump comes with extra moisture filters and a bag of spare O-rings. Great reviews on Amazon for the 4 Uncles pump, and the owners will contact you a couple times after the purchase to make sure you are happy and have no issues.
    I got a postcard saying that if I left a review on Amazon, I'd get a $30 gift card, which I did. So the pump really cost me $30.
    Under $400 for everything to get into the PCP game.

I've had the Umarex Origin about a year now. Thinking that is a SPA offering as well. Biggest issue has been POI shifting. That's mostly sorted out now but I'd like to just pick it
    up and be sure the zero is right where it was last time I shot it. Next biggest issue is my under estimating its power. Even tuned all the
    way at its lowest it still is considerably more than I want for back yard squirrel control. The springer has kept its place for that. Sure is sweet being able to see your hits with the PCP though. And of course the PCP isn't hold sensitive