RepackboxSnyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: PA Conical By Hornady

PA Conical By Hornady

Forgive me if this has been posted before. Been away from the forum for awhile. Is there a mold for a bullet similar to the PA conical? My SMR shoots them well and they can be hard to find.
    Last edited by LGS; 12-20-2022 at 07:47 PM.

Boolit Master
    Big no !

My brother and I really like this .50 cal conical. Works great in our TC's. We have the 250 REAL's too, but the hollow base on the Hornady is more accurate. Not that it makes a difference under 25 yards! If I didn't have 2 full boxes on the shelf, I would want a mould too! hc18flyer
    PS. the one pictured was under the hide of my brothers 3 x 3.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PA conical.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	308255

If you're shooting a fifty then a Lee blunt nosed minie mold might work as an alternative.
    I've been wondering about something that would work in a Ruger Old Army as well as a percussion rifle... maybe a design similar to a Lee REAL?
    A boolit design to work in both is a puzzle worth doing.

Boolit Grand Master

I didn't know they made these. Looks a lot like the Buffalo Ball-et.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I didn't know they made these. Looks a lot like the Buffalo Ball-et.
    Yes, I used to like those too.

Boolit Buddy
    Accurate Molds make a bullet mold very close to what you’re talking about…

260 grains with nice lube groove…Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0B60E745-DB86-4467-8171-F84D9CE6E17C.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	308680

Looks GREAT! Problem is, you need only 4 a year! Three to check your rifle, and one for your deer, hard to justify a mold. Course, my 10 yard shot, a rb would have done the job! hc18flyer

PS- They and the Buffalo 'Ball-et 'have always shot well in 1 in 48, and 1 in 66 twist barrels. My shots are usually within 50 yards, and the little conical has provided slightly better end results than a round ball.
    Last edited by hc18flyer; 12-31-2022 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Additional info

The only deer hunting I do is muzzleloader. I have a nice southern mountian rifle I shoot a couple hundred bullets a year and the PA conical shoots better then patched round ball. My cousin and I are going to try for coyotes with our flintlocks. Probable won't hit any but should be a lot of fun.

Boolit Bub
    Ron Dahlitz was the owner of Buffalo Bullets and for many years his son Brent worked there. So many years ago I had a lot of interactions with Buffalo Bullets. Ron passed away in 2015 and to this day I still stay in touch with Brent. I took my fair share of deer with the .50 caliber "Ball-et" and it was my go to "boolit". I still have .45, .50, .54 Ball-et's sitting on the shelf. Most people don't remember this but Buffalo Bullets at one time made a .50 caliber "Maxi Ball-et" hollow point that weighed 270 grains (I still have a box). The standard Ball-et was always accurate in my old T/C .50 Hawken 1-48". Just the other day a good friend of mine bought a very nice .50 caliber Browning Mountain Rifle 1-66" with square bottom rifling. He gave it to me so I would give it the once over and to find a load using Goex 2F powder. I dusted off the old Ball-et's and I went to the range with "725". I have say they did pretty good. Funny part is that I didn't know that the Browning had a single set trigger and the trigger pull was just awful.

Since I didn't want to shoot up all of my Ball-et's, I bought from Midway USA the Hornady PA Conical to try in the Browning. Comparing the two you can see that they are very close in design, but the Hornady has a thinner skirt at the base. I recently went back to the range with "725" and the Browning shot great with the single set trigger. After making some adjustments to the sights it was "deadly accurate" at 50 and 100 yards. I was very impressed with the Hornady PA Conical. Both trips to the range I used 80 grains of Goex 2F.

Midway USA link: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1002235363?pid=730932

Old Footman

Boolit Grand Master
    ! I'll say they're accurate. ! Had "one hole'r's" at 100 yards. As far as a known mold for same, I don't know of one. Perhaps a custom mold could be had.
    Last edited by 725; 01-25-2023 at 06:23 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    This might be close. Perhaps a bit longer than the PA…

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	364EF893-9038-4C48-9879-B806FA305747.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	310356