WidenersSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Loading 20 ga CCS sabots

Boolit Bub

Loading 20 ga CCS sabots

After 2 years of checking store shelves and online retailers to find no 20 gauge sabot ammunition I am taking matters into my own hands. While waiting for components to arrive I cast 100+ boolets from Lyman #2 in my Lee 255-452 mold. They came out 247 grains. Sized to .451 and waiting thier new home in some Cheddite hulls. Will post range results.

Boolit Master

Sorry but no idea where you are going to find sabots for them.

Mabey you should have bought a Lyman 20 gauge mold for their sabot aka shotgun wad ds.

Possibly try .58 cal muzzle loading sabots. They're cheap enough by the bag to give it a spin. Maybe paper patch them to fit or insert them into a clay buster wad. I went the round ball route and am having good results. I got sub 4" groups @ 25 yards on my first outing.
    https://mmpsabots.com/store/58-grey-sabot50-pcs/
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Master

I don't know where you'll find a sabot for that bullet, but the Trap Commander wad is an excellent basis for use with a 0.575" round ball or any of the .58 minie balls.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    Sorry but no idea where you are going to find sabots for them.

Mabey you should have bought a Lyman 20 gauge mold for their sabot aka shotgun wad ds.
    I have the sabots, I ordered them from Gun Servicing LLC in New Jersey, they make them

Boolit Bub
    Here is a pic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20221219_085916.jpg  

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ihunts2much View Post
    I have the sabots, I ordered them from Gun Servicing LLC in New Jersey, they make them
    Hah! That's an awesome looking sabot! How long have they been available?
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master
    I tried google, I get nothing for sabots, can you give more direct info? There is no info whatsoever for parts...
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by daengmei View Post
    I tried google, I get nothing for sabots, can you give more direct info? There is no info whatsoever for parts...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20221219_175047_Facebook.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	308278
    Not sure if the screen shot I posted is legible. Contact for sabots...

Gun Servicing, LLC
    #609-261-7373
    Emma Young
    Last edited by ihunts2much; 12-19-2022 at 07:00 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Very interesting. CCS sabots is an old name likely dating back to the 90's or earlier. They were a mail order only deal in the mid 2000's, then as far as I can remember they went out of business or at least stopped making them. From what I recall they aren't a separating sabot, they are supposed to stay attached just like Bloodtrail's Hammerhead sabots. I can't remember who made them, but it's amazing to me that the pictured price sheet is from 2018. I was experimenting quite a bit with different slugs in 2018, bought everything Ballistic Products and Precision Reloading had. Tried all kinds of slugs. Was active on a few forums. At no point did I ever see an advertisement for CCS sabots, and I don't think I've ever seen them mentioned on any forum when "where can I buy sabots for reloading" are a weekly thread. I'm pretty sure they used to to be sold in Shotgun News back when magazines and newsprints were the big places to advertise. Today its hard to imagine a business existing without any online presence. There are some exceptions which mostly exist by word of mouth. I've never heard anyone talk about CCS sabots though.

Anyway, I hope those sabots show up, or at least that you paid with a credit card.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Very interesting. CCS sabots is an old name likely dating back to the 90's or earlier. They were a mail order only deal in the mid 2000's, then as far as I can remember they went out of business or at least stopped making them. From what I recall they aren't a separating sabot, they are supposed to stay attached just like Bloodtrail's Hammerhead sabots. I can't remember who made them, but it's amazing to me that the pictured price sheet is from 2018. I was experimenting quite a bit with different slugs in 2018, bought everything Ballistic Products and Precision Reloading had. Tried all kinds of slugs. Was active on a few forums. At no point did I ever see an advertisement for CCS sabots, and I don't think I've ever seen them mentioned on any forum when "where can I buy sabots for reloading" are a weekly thread. I'm pretty sure they used to to be sold in Shotgun News back when magazines and newsprints were the big places to advertise. Today its hard to imagine a business existing without any online presence. There are some exceptions which mostly exist by word of mouth. I've never heard anyone talk about CCS sabots though.

Anyway, I hope those sabots show up, or at least that you paid with a credit card.
    I have the sabots, I spoke with Emma, mailed a check, as they don't take credit cards. About a week later my order showed up. I heard about them on the buck and slug reloaders group on FB. Many of the members there are posting excellent 100 yd groups. They are a legit business.

Emma is great to work with. She’s handles the business every since her husbands declining health. CCs has been out there for a long time now, they just don’t advertise (like SlugRUs before I bought them out).

I don’t believe they’re a discarding sabot. I have some, just never got around to loading with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I'm just really surprised. Slugs R Us didn't advertise per-se, but word got around well with them. They were featured in a few different things, including a taufledermaus video (which he apparently doesn't know how to load them). The big one was the fact they were a stocked slug from Precision Reloading. By comparison, other than a few passing mentions, there is no trace of CCS sabots online. Not even an old picture. No articles. No videos.

That's great to hear that CCS sabot's are still around, it's just that you don't hear about something like this every day. Somehow the business has been going, possibly locally. It looks to me that nearly everything online about CCS sabots is people from New Jersey. The price of them is a little steep, but I might give them a try for fun. It's always good to have options.

I'm just really surprised. Slugs R Us didn't advertise per-se, but word got around well with them. They were featured in a few different things, including a taufledermaus video (which he apparently doesn't know how to load them). The big one was the fact they were a stocked slug from Precision Reloading. By comparison, other than a few passing mentions, there is no trace of CCS sabots online. Not even an old picture. No articles. No videos.

That's great to hear that CCS sabot's are still around, it's just that you don't hear about something like this every day. Somehow the business has been going, possibly locally. It looks to me that nearly everything online about CCS sabots is people from New Jersey. The price of them is a little steep, but I might give them a try for fun. It's always good to have options.
    I talked to Jeff from Taofledermaus two years ago when he did the first video on them. Noticed they were using a smoothbore which is a no-no with hammerhead slugs.

I let the contract with Precision Reloading expire and plan on going with Ballistic Products. They’ve been with me since I started my Facebook group, Buck and Slug Reloaders.

Working on a website now and plan to be up and running in 6 weeks or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    CCS Sabots are legit. I had Chris Young, who is the inventor rifle an rebarrel several Shotguns. He has never a big, get rich business.

His best 12 ga Sabots are the .50 caliber ones for the Barnes 325 Expander. MOA is possible with the right gun, I have done it once.
    I fired that same load for almost 20 Years, and about 50 Deer later, it works and does not fail at normal Velocity. His high speed load is more problematic, and has horrendous Muzzle flash.
    My last load for it drove the 325 Grain Barnes to 1580 FPS, and was good enough to expand on a Buck at 212 Yards. I did recover the Copper slug, which was perfect, just not as wide as a 50 yard one.

Greg
    AKA 12 Bore

Boolit Bub

Name:	20230208_140230.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	310288
    I think I have a winner! 5 shot 50 yard group. Pic is sideways though

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ihunts2much View Post

Name:	20230208_140230.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	310288
    I think I have a winner! 5 shot 50 yard group. Pic is sideways though
    I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but I would expect better than that from something that expensive. There are a number of slugs you can cast that will shoot that good. While that is about 1 1/2" at 50 yards, I really doubt you are going to be doing much better than 4" or 5" at 100, which is pretty typical slug gun accuracy from a bench using a scope. Now if you are shooting a bone stock Remington 870 and open sights, then yes, that's pretty dang good accuracy.

What was your load?
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 02-08-2023 at 08:20 PM.

Boolit Bub
    I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but I would expect better than that from something that expensive. There are a number of slugs you can cast that will shoot that good. While that is about 1 1/2" at 50 yards, I really doubt you are going to be doing much better than 4" or 5" at 100, which is pretty typical slug gun accuracy from a bench using a scope. Now if you are shooting a bone stock Remington 870 and open sights, then yes, that's pretty dang good accuracy.

What was your load?
    No offense taken. As far as expense it works out to around 1.30 per load. I contrast that with the hundreds of dollars I've spent in the last several years on much more expensive loads that didn't group this well. 4-5" at 100 is venison all day long, and I am out of the game of checking store shelves for 20 ga sabots, and dealing with 2 box limits when I find them. For my purposes, I am a very satisfied customer of CCS sabots. Load was 31 grains Blue Dot.

Boolit Grand Master

It is certainly a fine 100 yard deer load. I am more interested in your wad stack. Certain things can make a bigger change than you would realize. For example, if you were using a gas seal, fiber wad, and then sabot on that, you could replace the fiber wad with three 1/8" cork, and a nitro card on top. That's proven to me to provide a more stabile base. Some have even had luck adding things inside the sabot such as a thin rubber washer to help keep the base from distorting. Can you post a picture of the new sabot, and a fired sabot?