Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Finally got a PCP !

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Sorry, my Mother in Law has a whole herd of them she wants me to take care of.

Randy
    I reside on the very north "line" where mocking birds breed/live, and cannot recall having any in my yard. I looked the species up, and learned:
    "The northern mockingbird is known for its intelligence. A 2009 study showed that the bird was able to recognize individual humans, particularly noting those who had previously been intruders or threats. Also birds recognize their breeding spots and return to areas in which they had greatest success in previous years. Urban birds are more likely to demonstrate this behavior." Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mocking bird.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	315214 Our two "annoying" birds are the (Canada) geese -- which poop all over everything, everywhere; and the Double-crested Cormorant which has been literally wiping out our fisheries with their unending appetite for fish. (Plus, I understand their poop ruins any/all paint/finishes on boat surfaces -- a REAL problem for boaters!)
    Anyhoos -- from these posts -- the ONLY "problem" from mocking birds is their chirping?
    Just curious...
    geo

Must be two COMPLETELY different species. Ours being the southern version. Intelligent? Dunno but I continually see attempts at building nests where they just can't be built. Such as our chimney. Before I lined the top with hardware cloth, we'd get a pile of twigs when the flue was opened. Twice we had one stuck in there, once even getting into the house. Stubborn, yes. Obnoxious, yes. Smart, doubt it. Seen them attempt close combat with a hawk. Seen them dive bombing cats and dogs. Seen them caught by said cats. The hawks seem to let them get away with it probably because there's not enough under the feathers to make a bite to eat. Oh yeah, and they love to peck holes in peaches or tomatoes and any other tasty fruit leaving them open for the bugs and worms.
    I'm real proud of our state bird. Does it show?

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    I reside on the very north "line" where mocking birds breed/live, and cannot recall having any in my yard. I looked the species up, and learned:
    "The northern mockingbird is known for its intelligence. A 2009 study showed that the bird was able to recognize individual humans, particularly noting those who had previously been intruders or threats. Also birds recognize their breeding spots and return to areas in which they had greatest success in previous years. Urban birds are more likely to demonstrate this behavior." Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mocking bird.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	315214 Our two "annoying" birds are the (Canada) geese -- which poop all over everything, everywhere; and the Double-crested Cormorant which has been literally wiping out our fisheries with their unending appetite for fish. (Plus, I understand their poop ruins any/all paint/finishes on boat surfaces -- a REAL problem for boaters!)
    Anyhoos -- from these posts -- the ONLY "problem" from mocking birds is their chirping?
    Just curious...
    geo

Incessant noise 24 hours of the day it drives us nuts. They are designed to look like Female Blue Jays. Our Blue Jays are back and they have ran off all the Mocking Birds, temporarily. This was due to my wife putting out Peanuts under the Big Oak Tree last week which both the Squirrels and Blue jays really like. It's where everyone goes for Free Lunch. The Blue Jays are on the Peanuts as soon as my wife is 6 feet away, and that is from the other Oak Tree on the other side of the property 50 yards away ! They have wars with the Squirrels, we have both Ground Squirrels and Red Tree Squirrels that fight over the Sunflower Seeds and Peanuts. Not allowed to shoot any of them as they are all my Wife's pets.

Mocking Birds are another story, Ended hundreds of them, and plenty more where they came from. I try really hard to get them on the first shot as it will take literally days before I get another shot.
    They fly off even if I go outside with a broom stick or anything that loosely resembles a gun. They are pretty smart birds.

You don't get to be that annoying without being somewhat smart.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 06-22-2023 at 06:41 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

OK I finally actually hunted with the gun yesterday. The results were devastating!

My wife has a veritable Menagerie hanging out in our front yard under the Big Oak Tree. We get Quail, Doves, Wood Peckers, Blue Jays, an occasional Mocking Bird if the Blue Jays are on vacay. A variety of little birds like Finches and three pairs of Orioles and several other song birds which we enjoy watching. Lots going on with the birds. Constant Bird Wars going on with different ones taking turns on the feeders.

Also a few Red Tree Squirrels which she can get within 5 feet of and she feeds them sunflower seeds and peanuts. They can also climb up the poles to the feeders and raid them. We also have a couple of Ground Squirrels which are not welcome by anyone. They are very scraggly and ratty looking and dig holes in the yards and none of the birds will tolerate them. The real Ratty one we named "Mr. Rat!" He was the boldest one.

Well, Saturday our big pair of Quail brought the Peepers in to feed. I was surprised at how small they still are. Well then Mr. Ratty Squirrel shows up and tries to invade the feeding area. This was met by two very Puffed Up and Angry Mom and Dad Quail. Dad chased the Rat off 10+ times while we watched from the bathroom window 10 yards away. The Tree Squirrels were also watching from up in the tree. Finally my wife had had enough and told me to shoot the intruder. This was new as all of this has been going on for years and She had been addiment about me not shooting her pets.

So I went and got the R1 and put a lawn chair on the front porch and waited. That gun weighs right at 10 lbs. and was wearing me out just holding onto it. Finally Mr. Rat shows up and gives me a shot, but I couldn't hold the gun steady very well and only grazed him. He ran off and then resurfaced about 10 min later. Nice clear shot and I missed him clean, but it sprayed him with dirt so he took off for the day.!

I traded the R1 for my Avenger. It was pumped up to a fresh 4K+ psi and is a much lighter gun. I took the screen off the bathroom window and sat in there for a half hour but Mr. Rat didn't show up again.

On Sunday morning about 11 AM my wife yells at me that Mr. Rat is back so I grabbed the Avenger and opened the Window. He saw me and ran into the bushes so I waited and he resurfaces on the edge of the stone walkway and gave me a clear shot standing up at @ 15 yards. This time I was shooting off a rest and put the cross hairs mid center on his head and let fly. "Fwap" and a Ricochet and Mr. Rat went flying about 10 feet to the right.

Then to clean up the mess, and I mean a real mess of blood and guts all over the place where Mr. Rat landed. He was inserted into a plastic bag and deposited in the trash can.

The 25gr .25 cal. pellet went clean thru him right off the shoulder and ricocheted off a Rock behind him. There was a 1" hole out the back side with guts hanging out. I found the mark on the rock that the pellet hit, and it was hit hard!

I have shot literally hundreds of Ground Squirrels, Gophers, and similar Vermin with my .22 rifles and the R1 . I have never seen one tore up as bad and this one. I guess a .25gr. .25 cal. Pellet at 875 fps is a pretty devastating thing. The R1 never even made it thru a Mocking Bird, and it is definitely the King of Springers!

Avengers are Certainly Lethal! Get the .25 Cal. version!

RIP Mr. Rat! I got a nice steak for dinner.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Banned
    OK I finally actually hunted with the gun yesterday. The results were devastating!

My wife has a veritable Menagerie hanging out in our front yard under the Big Oak Tree. We get Quail, Doves, Wood Peckers, Blue Jays, an occasional Mocking Bird if the Blue Jays are on vacay. A variety of little birds like Finches and three pairs of Orioles and several other song birds which we enjoy watching. Lots going on with the birds. Constant Bird Wars going on with different ones taking turns on the feeders.

Also a few Red Tree Squirrels which she can get within 5 feet of and she feeds them sunflower seeds and peanuts. They can also climb up the poles to the feeders and raid them. We also have a couple of Ground Squirrels which are not welcome by anyone. They are very scraggly and ratty looking and dig holes in the yards and none of the birds will tolerate them. The real Ratty one we named "Mr. Rat!" He was the boldest one.

Well, Saturday our big pair of Quail brought the Peepers in to feed. I was surprised at how small they still are. Well then Mr. Ratty Squirrel shows up and tries to invade the feeding area. This was met by two very Puffed Up and Angry Mom and Dad Quail. Dad chased the Rat off 10+ times while we watched from the bathroom window 10 yards away. The Tree Squirrels were also watching from up in the tree. Finally my wife had had enough and told me to shoot the intruder. This was new as all of this has been going on for years and She had been addiment about me not shooting her pets.

So I went and got the R1 and put a lawn chair on the front porch and waited. That gun weighs right at 10 lbs. and was wearing me out just holding onto it. Finally Mr. Rat shows up and gives me a shot, but I couldn't hold the gun steady very well and only grazed him. He ran off and then resurfaced about 10 min later. Nice clear shot and I missed him clean, but it sprayed him with dirt so he took off for the day.!

I traded the R1 for my Avenger. It was pumped up to a fresh 4K+ psi and is a much lighter gun. I took the screen off the bathroom window and sat in there for a half hour but Mr. Rat didn't show up again.

On Sunday morning about 11 AM my wife yells at me that Mr. Rat is back so I grabbed the Avenger and opened the Window. He saw me and ran into the bushes so I waited and he resurfaces on the edge of the stone walkway and gave me a clear shot standing up at @ 15 yards. This time I was shooting off a rest and put the cross hairs mid center on his head and let fly. "Fwap" and a Ricochet and Mr. Rat went flying about 10 feet to the right.

Then to clean up the mess, and I mean a real mess of blood and guts all over the place where Mr. Rat landed. He was inserted into a plastic bag and deposited in the trash can.

The 25gr .25 cal. pellet went clean thru him right off the shoulder and ricocheted off a Rock behind him. There was a 1" hole out the back side with guts hanging out. I found the mark on the rock that the pellet hit, and it was hit hard!

I have shot literally hundreds of Ground Squirrels, Gophers, and similar Vermin with my .22 rifles and the R1 . I have never seen one tore up as bad and this one. I guess a .25gr. .25 cal. Pellet at 875 fps is a pretty devastating thing. The R1 never even made it thru a Mocking Bird, and it is definitely the King of Springers!

Avengers are Certainly Lethal! Get the .25 Cal. version!

RIP Mr. Rat! I got a nice steak for dinner.

Randy
    Randy thanks for putting that up. It was just as an enjoyable hunting story as Peter Capstick!! You got the job done!!

Well a few days later the area that Mr. Rat had occupied has been taken over by 3 Young Ground Squirrels. They don't appear to be any threat to the Quail so they are not being chased off. They are however "Sanctioned Targets" by my wife, as they carry fleas and other parasites. (like Mr. Rat!) They are also too small to shoot with the Avenger. So I got out my HW35EB (my first air gun) and sat out on the front porch until I got a shot. Shot was 10 yards with a peep sight on that gun. Fwap, another one bites the dust ! Right thru the eye. DRT!

I was blown away at all of the bugs that did a mass exodus off that critter after he expired. Apparently my wife was right about the fleas and parasites. I really can't see how these things weren't being ate up by the fleas, they must have been miserable..

I deposited it in a neighbors back yard (they never go back there) and the Raccoons hauled it off a few minutes later. I use Harbor Freight Pick Up Tools with the Suction Cups to handle these carcasses. $10. Great Bang for your Tooling Buck! I have 7 of them around the House and in my Cars.

Last Night the Raccoons tore up my Wife's Flower Beds big time. Some thanks for the free meal huh? She is pissed and the Coons have finally made onto the most wanted list after 20 years.

The Avenger will come out for them!

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100465139.JPG   100464621.JPG   100464625.JPG   IMG_2318.jpg  
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 07-21-2023 at 04:00 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

[...I was blown away at all of the bugs that did a mass exodus off that critter after he expired. Apparently my wife was right about the fleas and parasites. I really can't see how these things weren't being ate up by the fleas, they must have been miserable...
    Randy
    I, too, had noted the bugs on grey squirrels. Very shortly after one was dispatched, I did not have the opportunity to remove/dispose of it, reckoning I'd attend to that duty early next morn. To my MOST pleasant surprise -- all track and trace of it was gone! My guess is some other critter took it "home" for their meal? Anyhoos -- with all the parasites, bugs, and diseases -- I reckon the leaving them overnight may be the way to go... If the corpse is still there in the following morn, no big deal.
    Just my thoughts...
    geo

Boolit Master
    Are you guys familiar with tick tubes? It seems counterintuitive to help the rodents, but I hate ticks more.

To stay on topic, have an Airforce Talon and a first gen Hill pump and it’s just too much weight and work vs a suppressed 22. Reading this thread thinking maybe I’ll try a newer gun.

Boolit Grand Master
    Enjoyed your report Randy!!!

These new air guns are not toys. BTW, I made sure both my PCP's were light and easy to use. My days of 10 lbs rifles is past.
    Don Verna

Yeah Don, I'm thinking seriously about selling my R1 I have to cock it with my right arm as my left arm that I use on all the rest of my Springers is not strong enough. Plus that the Avenger is so much more powerful and effortless to run.. I started using my HW 35EB.177 on the Little Squirrels as the Avenger just made too big a mess out of them. Just got another one a few minutes ago. That makes 4 since last weekend. I think I'm going to remount the Bug Buster Scope back on the HW35E

I figure my R1 is worth $800 over at Airgun Nation. It is all stock and in nearly perfect condition. Leupold 1-4X

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100464627.JPG   100464621.JPG   100464619.JPG   100464672.JPG  
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 07-24-2023 at 02:16 PM.

I bought the Avenger in 22 cal. Also bought the Spritech compressor also. Both work great so far. Going to put a Burris 3x9 over the Hammer scope. That scope just can’t be tuned, turrets are awful. I did take it to the range last evening and shot it at 25 yards and it grouped good with Crossman hollow point premier pellets. Bought the 14.3 grain at Wally World. Filled the gun up to 250 bar and it shot really good. Shot some clay pigeons at 50 yards and it was blasting them better than I could have hoped for. I also have some Exact jumbo Diabolo pellets and some Hades pellets to try out. It’s really fun to watch the pellets go down range and punch paper or watch the dirt fly.

Bill: You need to clean the barrel. it makes a serious difference in accuracy.

I got one of these kits from A of AZ https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/cle...ra-long-rifle/

You are going to have fun shooting Iguanas with that gun.

Just spend the time to dial the Scope in and know the "Elevation Changes" from your Mechanical Zero (with Pellet you are going to use most, hint; JSB Exact's)

You will sight the gun in at 25 or 50 yards (Establishing your "Mechanical Zero") then shoot targets at Shorter and Longer Distances taking note of the differences in POI at those distances.

Do write them down so after you memorize them and can go back when you forget them!

Good Luck and hope you get a bunch. I hear the Puerto Ricans and Cubanos have some good Recipes for them.

We will need Pics of your conquests.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 07-26-2023 at 04:05 PM.

Back to Hijacking my own Thread!

I mounted the Bug Buster Scope back on the HW35E (Surplus Store gun) and got it close. Then yesterday another Rodent showed up at the Feed Trough. This scope is 3x9 and I had it set on 6X was able to put the pellet right below the Eyeball at 15 yards from the Bathroom Window. This thing has surprisingly good optics for a $100 scope. It also has an Illuminated Reticle, Red or Green. Didn't use that feature. The gun itself is a one hole gun and always has been. Pretty much All Weihrauch HW35's are that good. Been in continuous production since 1951!

I think I pretty much cleaned out that family, 5 in 5 days.

But not to worry, There's Plenty more where they came from, as the Across the Street Neighbors don't mow their lawn cause they are hardly ever there and the Vermin multiply quickly. Their front yard looks like a mine field! Also it is a short trip across the street to greener pastures. So a New Migration is Imminent.

I have previously not been allowed to shoot these critters, but now my wife has given me the go ahead, so little does she know she has Released the Kraken!

Randy

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100464672.JPG   100464673.JPG  
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 07-26-2023 at 07:38 PM.

I just received a Burris 3x9 Fullfield scope. Mounted it this morning and won’t be able to sight in until Monday and will post results then. I’ll clean the barrel again. I did swab it out when it came and it was really dirty. I’ll take your recommendation for the cleaning kit and pellets when ordering this week. Thanks for the reply also.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Bill 7 View Post
    I just received a Burris 3x9 Fullfield scope. Mounted it this morning and won’t be able to sight in until Monday and will post results then. I’ll clean the barrel again. I did swab it out when it came and it was really dirty. I’ll take your recommendation for the cleaning kit and pellets when ordering this week. Thanks for the reply also.
    NSB sent me a cleaning kit when I got my PCP and it would not shoot well. You can make the "rope" out of trimer line...cheap cheap. Like you I was shocked at the stuff in the barrel.

I used Ballistol to clean the barrel. Airgun barrels are soft so nothing more than patches or a nylon brush. BTW adding about 20 drops of Ballistol to a 500 count tin of pellets seems to help accuracy and keep the barrel clean.

Looking forward to you report.
    Don Verna

Well the new batch of vermin showed up this morning. I had a great perfect head shot lined up at 15 yards and shot right over his head. Might have grazed him, but we'll see if they come back.

There as been no activity other than endless Birdy Wars for the last 3-4 days.

We have about 10 Orioles in the back yard fighting over the Welch's Grape Jelly she puts in the feeder. They clean it out 4 times a day!!!

It appears that Pigs can Fly! They are pretty cool to watch. If the feeder is empty they sit there looking at the kitchen window demanding that we refill it. As soon as we walk back in the house there is turf wars over "Whos Feeder it is.?" I did not know that there is about 8-9 different types of Orioles we have the Bright Yellow ones with Black Throats.

Randy

The one I missed yesterday came back today. It was his final trip to the Feeding trough. 7 in 7 days adn I think there are more coming.

Randy

My wife feeds the doves, blue jays and some blackbirds. We have also had five sets of two baby doves since the hurricane. AlsoI finally got to the range today and sighted the new scope on my air gun. Shot pretty good with four different pellets. They were all about one inch groups with a few fliers do to me. I have JBS exact jumbo match Diablo 15.89, JBS diabolo hades 15.89, and Crossman hollow points and piranhas at 14.3 grains. They all seen to do well. I was only shooting at 25 yards but it’s looking pretty good. I’m going next week again for more testing. Thanks Randy for your advice also.

Well two more Ground Squirrels showed up today and were being chased off by the Quail and even the one of the Tree Squirrels got in on the action. There haven't been any out there for the last 4 days so I put the screen back on the bathroom window. I'll let them settle in for a couple more days adn then go back to work.

Randy

Boolit Buddy

Randy,
    Sorry to hijack this thread, but I just heard there was a magnitude 5.5 earthquake 2.5 miles from Ojai. I hope all is well with you and everyone in and near Ojai.
    Mike

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast