Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
RepackboxSnyders JerkyWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Finally got a PCP !

Well now my range is completely under water adn a good chunk of Hwy 33 at Wheeler Gorge is missing so we won't be shooting there any time soon. Saw it on the news a sink hole developed under the road and one lane is completely gone and the other side is Severely Undercut and Compromised. So we can't get there from here now. Damn it!

WE are supposed to get another serious rain storm coming in this weekend so the place will be closed for the foreseeable future.

I will be setting up a range in the shop. I can almost get 25 yards in one direction.

Going to SHOT next week so everything will be on hold for another week or so. Hopefully my CARM Single Shot Loader will be here by then?

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I'm going to enjoy today and tomorrow, 65 and 60 degrees. Later tomorrow the storm that you are dealing with will be in Arizona.
    Better get in some shooting while I can !

The JSB .22 cal pellets that are 15.89 grains are turning out to be very good in both of my SPA rifles. But any of the heavier ones up to the 25 grain Monster do well.

Randy, does Darko make magazines in .25 cal too, or just the single shot loader ? Being able to get magazines that are 1/4 the cost of your factory mags sounds great.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by sandog View Post
    I'm going to enjoy today and tomorrow, 65 and 60 degrees. Later tomorrow the storm that you are dealing with will be in Arizona.
    Better get in some shooting while I can !

The JSB .22 cal pellets that are 15.89 grains are turning out to be very good in both of my SPA rifles. But any of the heavier ones up to the 25 grain Monster do well.

Randy, does Darko make magazines in .25 cal too, or just the single shot loader ? Being able to get magazines that are 1/4 the cost of your factory mags sounds great.
    He makes both. Based upon Randy's comments, I ordered both the 25 cal mag and single shot loader (Randy states how to in his thread) just the other day.

Got to play with the gun a little today and refined the zero a little more. I pumped it up to 4,000 psi. Regulator is set at 2,800 psi. Don't know what the Hammer Spring is set at? What ever AV set it at?

This thing is SCARY ACURATE!!!!! See Target below. All were 3 shot groups and all but #4 had all shots touching. Group #5 was almost one hole It came in at .125 all the rest were .187 or 3/16" Both #2 and #5 had two shots thru same hole.

All I did to this gun was clean the barrel !!!!!

This was shot at 10 yards so it is not the end of the world accuracy wise but still pretty encouraging ! If I can get similar results at 25 and 50 yards (more Zero refinement) I will be ready to shoot Iguanas or other Vermin.

I still have to start shooting it offhand as that is probably what will be happening in Florida, and my Muscle Tone has suffered over the last year. I used to be good at that, so I'll have to see if I can get back on it?

Good thing is I do remember what I was supposed to do.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2321.jpg  
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Boolit Master
    Following this thread.
    Interested in both the rifle's and the compressor's performance. I had a Marauder in .25, and a Hill pump about a decade ago. So quiet and accurate! But I was due for back surgery and the pump was more than I could handle.

Boolit Master
    Got my .177 Avenger . Got pump. Got crap load of pellets from FWB testing.
    What I don't have is reasonable weather - cold, windy or both.
    Nutz
    Really looking forward to some T&E
    Also looking forward to Pyramid getting in a wood stock (remember - bench gun)
    No idea why you can get 22 & 25 in wood but not 177
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

This type of shooting with an air rifle opens up a sport I'd like to engage..."RATTING"...but I don't have one, thought you might be interested.

a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Just got back from SHOT Show yesterday. Had a good conversation with Air Venturi. They have a new gun coming out soon which is similar to the Avenger but has a Bottle for a Reservoir, looked pretty good. Here's a link to a video about it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwKbYAR_DnQ

But what I'm pumped about today is my Single Shot Loader from CARM showed up today in the mail from Croatia !!!!

I ordered it on 1/9/23 and it showed up 1/20/23 or 11 days in transit.! Not bad from Europe!

It is a .25 cal. model and it looks nice, can't wait to try it out tomorrow ! Here's a pic.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2322.jpg  
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 01-22-2023 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    This type of shooting with an air rifle opens up a sport I'd like to engage..."RATTING"...but I don't have one, thought you might be interested.

That's a whole lotta rats! I do like that ATN Scope !!!

Randy

Finally got to play with my gun and my Single Shot Loader from CARM. It works really nice and you can "Feel" the pellet into the chamber which should cutdown on damage to the Pellets.

Still have to tune this thing, as it seems like 2800 psi on the Reg might be a little high ?

I filled it to 4350psi yesterday and got about 25 Full Power Shots before the tank pressure got down to 2800 psi. But since I don't have the Chrony set up there's no way to tell if the Velocity is wandering around. or what it is in the first place? So that is the next project with this gun. I already know that the "Sweet Spot " for these pellets is 850-875 fps So whatever I have to do to achieve that will be where I'm going. Bums me out that you have to De-gas the gun to lower the "Reg Pressure." Maybe the best idea would be to start low and work up to the tightest grouping and keep everything written down so if I go past the new Sweet Spot I can just, Dump all the air and creep up to the known best pressure.

I also have to figure out how the Striker Spring Adjustment affects all this, as it is part of the equation.

Will report back as soon as I understand all there is to know about this? Be nice if the factory offered up some suggestions for different tunes. Plenty of info on .22 cal. guns but very little on .25's.

Randy

Boolit Grand Master
    I have confidence in you Randy!!!
    Don Verna

I find working up a load with the PCP equally satisfying as with the powder burners and all but the "long range" work
    can be done in the back yard.
    Now that mine's over a year old I plan to get the chrony out and see if the shot curve has changed any and set a new curve
    with the heavy pellets it likes and another with the cheap Crosmans with the power backed all the way off.

My biggest problem is our range is closed indefinitely due to the recent rains and the Hwy to get there being severely damaged. Cal Trans is saying 90 days at least but when Cal Trans gives a number you can pretty much triple it or disregard it completely. I can't really shoot in my back yard because of a Idiot Neighbor, and there's only one direction I can get 50 yards anyway. I gotta find another place to shoot.

Randy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2044.jpg  
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 02-09-2023 at 02:23 PM.

Boolit Master
    Hey Randy, are you still shooting your springers.

Oh Yes, but only in my shop where I've got a 10 yard set up. The most I can get in the shop is 17 yards.

Randy

Boolit Master
    You can't beat a PCP for accuracy and power but I still love to shoot a springer

OK I got to shoot my PCP the other day.

We've had a Mocking Bird going off outside our bedroom window for a few days. They are among the most annoying creatures on this planet. Surely invented by the Devil Himself to annoy us beyond our senses.

They are pretty wary birds and if they see anything that looks like a rifle they fly off. Plus that our Blue Jays are slacking off and not running the Mocking Birds off as much as they used to.

This one was going off in the very top branches of our big Oak Tree in the Front Yard. I had to crack open the door on my shop and stick the gun out thru the crack and use my hand on the door jamb as a Rest. Missed the first shot and then it took a few minutes to the thing to reappear and I finally got a clear shot,,, Right at 50 yards at about a 30 Degree angle up. Held dead on, and Bingo .25 cal. 25 gr. Pellet at 875 fps. Dropped like a stone!

My wife made me a really good Roast for Dinner !

We are sleeping much better! I knew there was a good reason why I bought this thing!

Randy

And then another one shows up two days later !!!

Randy

We've got a few dozen I'd like to send you in case you run out of targets

Sorry, my Mother in Law has a whole herd of them she wants me to take care of.

Randy

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast