Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Scopes for Nitro-Piston Rifles

Scopes for Nitro-Piston Rifles

I just acquired a Crossman Shockwave, Nitro Piston rifle, and I'm wondering if these types are as destructive with conventional scopes as a springer type.

The scope that came with it is pretty crappy. I've got several conventional Weaver or Bushnell scopes of pretty fair quality, but I don't care to trash them on an air rifle if that would be the outcome.

What think Y'all?? jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Master
    I have been told if it is not double baffled a springer will gut a scope in short order. I have put air gun scopes on 30/06 with no problem, if it is not a airgun rated scope I would not put it on an air gun ?? IMHO.

Best to be safe and look for a "Magnum Springer" compatible scope.

This is the one I have on my 2 Hatsan rifles, both have held up well over the last 6 years.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Otherwise your best bet is to do a quick trawl through Gateway to Airguns forums. I seem to remember both UTG and Bugbuster offering magnum scopes.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    The scope that came with it might be crappy, but it is probably focused in at 25-40 yards which will be better for the ranges you can shoot this type of rifle. AO is nice for airguns. If you buy a scope, try to get air rifle rated. Avoid anything specifically stated for .22 LR or shotgun.

Gas ram or spring doesn't make much difference. But if you have the .177, avoid shooting pellets that are super light. Some of today's 177's are too strong to even shoot 7.5 grain pellets. A too-light pellet will shoot fine, but the leftover energy in the piston shakes the rifle in a way that imperceptible to the shooter but hard on optics... and stock screws will work loose. So before you put any scope on it, I suggest you shoot a bunch of pellets to make sure the stock screws stay put with that pellet weight.

The .22 will shoot so much slower this won't be an issue. I hope you don't have the .22, though, because you can have the opposite problem. Crosman barrels don't shoot straight if the pellet stays in the barrel too long after the power spike is over. And that is often the case in .22. If you have the .22 and it won't group tight, try light weight pellets.

Boolit Master
    You didn't ask, but I'll explain the "crosman barrel" thing.

Most quality springer barrels have a short tight section to begin with. This makes deep rifling marks and sizes the pellet smaller, to a more consistent size than they come in the tin. After 3-4 inches, the barrel opens back out just a hair, to relieve the compression and friction between the pellet and the barrel. The pellet will still seal air because of the skirt. As long as the pressure is high enough to matter, the skirt seals. And the rifling marks on the pellet should still engage the grooves.

But if the pressure dies off before the pellet exits, the pellet will now coast the rest of the way without friction.

The fit should still be good enough to shoot straight... revolvers often have an unintentional choke point and most of them will still hit a squirrel at 50 yards if you're that good a shot. But just in case the barrel is slightly off and it opens back up so much that the pellet can move around inside, many airgun barrels also have a slight choke at the muzzle to ensure accuracy.

Crosman doesn't do this to their barrels, unless they made a recent change. They're uniform diameter the whole way.

It's like a lubrizer vs a Lee bullet sizer. In the Lee, the sizing ring is brief, and then it loosens back up. So you only have to press hard for a short way. In a lubrisizer, the OD stays tight for the whole way, and you have to push hard the entire stroke.

In my experience the Nitro Piston is even harder on scopes. Had a .177 Spanish made springer replaced the scope with a moderate
    priced Bushnell air gun rated scope. Shot it years no problem. Got a .22 Nitro and swapped the crappy scope it came with with the Bushnell.
    Scope broke in not much over a tin of pellets. I know, it had all them other shots on it from the other springer. Ordered a Centerpoint air gun rated scope from Walmart. Figured could take it back if it broke. It did in less than a tin of pellets and they did give the refund. Shot it a few years with the
    crappy scope back on. Killed lots of squirrels.
    Finally wanted good glass enough to ask a recommendation from one the guys at Pyramid. It's been wearing a Hawk Airmax since and still holding strong. Nice glass too.
    Last edited by chutesnreloads; 08-02-2023 at 04:01 PM.

My Shockwave is a .22. I've got it grouping pretty well - one inch or less - at 25 yards with the crappy scope. I robbed another Centerpoint off of a 177 springer that I've got here. It is optically better, and I guess I'll try it for awhile and see how we do.

I'd like to get one of the rails that adapt the small dovetail to the larger standard picatinny rail, and use some of the standard 1" rings that I've got. I could use the extra height I would gain from this, and the rail I've seen has four pinch screws which ought to be sufficient.

This rifle already shoots so much better than the two 177's I've got, that I'm pretty happy and hopeful to get it set up.

Thanks all a ya's for any advice. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

My Hatsan gas piston ate the crosshairs in two 3 x 9 Bugbusters in a short time. The Hawke 3 x 9 Airmax has has been fine for 5000 plus shots.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hoodat View Post
    the rail I've seen has four pinch screws which ought to be sufficient.
    jd
    You should find an unthreaded hole in the top rear of the Shockwave's receiver. That's there to take a stop screw. 4 pinch bolts are not enough to prevent the rail from creeping, so take a second to make sure the rail you buy also has a stop screw. Most of them do, these days, but you can probably still buy some that don't.

Boolit Master

Another vote for Hawke glass! I've got a 3-9x IR on my Weirauch 95 springer, couldn't be happier with it, in the woods the illuminated reticle is hard to beat!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

This is the reason I got into PCP air guns.
    I wanted to use my ATN digital scope on my Hatsan .25 cal. break barrel.
    I called one of the air gun dealers can't remember which one and they said they wouldn't do it.
    The ATN scope is a hoot on either my Hatsan .25 cal. Flashpup or my Beeman .22 cal. underlever.

Boolit Buddy
    Hawks are some of the best value airgun proof scopes. They are very popular in UK.

Nikko Sterling are good to.

Nitro pistons have a bigger initial push to the piston than spring guns. It is down to the way gasses compress. It is a instant step change in force, which is not nice.

The thing that kills most scopes is either the forward push from the air being compressed against the front face of the cylinder or the piston hitting that same face (if over-tuned). The forces from this are much higher than the initial push backwards.

Boolit Master
    Will mount a Hawke 2-7 Airmax on the new-to-me HW90/Beeman RX 1, and fully expect it to hold up fine.