RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionWideners
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: Very soft lead for wheel weight or other hardeners.

Very soft lead for wheel weight or other hardeners.

I am in a tough spot.
    My son works for a water main construction construction company, and he has been bringing me lead pipe, pretty steadily. I’m pretty sure it is “pure” lead, or close to it, as my Lee indent tester kit doesn’t even provide data for the large diameter indent made, during testing. The lowest BHN that it deals with, is 8.

I have hundreds of pounds of it, cast into muffin trays.

I picked up a bunch of very old scuba weights, and even though I was praying for harder BHN, they turned out to be under 8 BHN , as well.

When it rains it pours. My son brought home two counterweights, that they had been using on some machinery. They are two “wheels” 10” diameter by 4” thick. I cut one in half with a chainsaw, and melted, cast and tested the chips. It too is well under 8 bhn. I’m not surprised, as they prolly made them from scrap lead pipe.

Now I have several hundred lbs of very soft lead, that I cannot use, as is, without playing with tin and antimony and such. I do make my alloys, but there’s got to be an easier way. There’s got to be some muzzleloaders and such, out there, who value the “pure”.

I am located on Long Island NY, and I would trade for wheel weight, antimony , tin, linotype ….. whatever.

Obviously it would be easiest, to meet in person, because of shipping weights, but the muzzle loaders in my neck of the woods are PA, New England, and further upstate NY….

ANY trades, offers , ideas, suggestions ?
    Kenny

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2E3F268F-CFC2-4E2F-871A-CF0773646311.jpeg 
Views:	37 
Size:	168.2 KB 
ID:	308190 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0B190FC6-B375-43DD-9D58-FF075F132AC6.jpeg 
Views:	41 
Size:	160.2 KB 
ID:	308191
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F3775BFD-566E-44A6-BF30-9C5B901ADBA8.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	308192 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03798005-5866-47E9-9E52-717BF2A03431.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	308193
    Just because it’s a bad idea…
    …. Doesn’t mean it won’t be a good time !

Wish you were closer, I'd love to trade into some pure lead for minie' bullets and other bump up projectiles.

Boolit Buddy
    If you’re willing to ship and package properly I’ll pay 1.00 per lb. I can use 100lb or so.

Andy

Forgive my inexperience, with shipping lead….
    How is it properly done?

Quote Originally Posted by Krh1326 View Post
    How is it properly done?
    USPS Priority Mail flat rate boxes

If it fits it ships. If your sending feathers or lead ingots it's the same price.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Krh1326 View Post
    How is it properly done?
    53 pounds will fit in a medium flat rate and shipping is $17 at the USPS. I cut cheap 1/4''-3/8'' wood <pallet wood you can get for free>to reinforce the box and wrap it in the middle <or nail it>with duct tape. The box will get thrown around. The last 100 pounds I bought I received 25 pounds and took three weeks to get even. Line the complete box. I would be in for 100 pounds of the pure lead muffins also for $1 per pound and shipping. $134? Once you figure how to pack the box it takes about 10 minutes or less per box and the post office will hate you. Some people use 2 boxes<one for a liner>but that's iffy. Every time I received lead the box looked like it was drug down a gravel road and busted on the ends. The boxes have a 60 pound limit. It's easier to ship 50 pounds in each one. The boxes are insured and you get a tracking # Keep the USPS receipt because the shipper has to have that if there is a complaint on the buyer's end. You can send the receipt with the box and keep a copy for yourself.<easier.>. OH-The boxes are free at the post office. THE END.
    Last edited by 45DUDE; 12-17-2022 at 06:14 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 45DUDE View Post
    53 pounds will fit in a medium flat rate and shipping is $17 at the USPS. I cut cheap 1/4'' wood <pallet wood you can get for free>to reinforce the box and wrap it in the middle <or nail it>with duct tape. The box will get thrown around. The last 100 pounds I bought I received 25 pounds and took three weeks to get even. Line the complete box. I would be in for 100 pounds of the pure lead muffins also for $1 per pound and shipping. $134? Once you figure how to pack the box it takes about 10 minutes or less per box and the post office will hate you. Some people use 2 boxes<one for a liner>but that's iffy. Every time I received lesd the box looked like it was drug down a gravel road.

We must have the same postal workers. Good advice!

Boolit Buddy
    I mix #90 pure lead water pipe with #30 type metal bars/pieces/letters, etc plus #3 pewter in my batches when smelting. I use this alloy for almost everything from .22 cal to 45's, pistol and rifle. I powder coat them all these days. It should be easier to get #30 of linotype than get rid of #90 of good, soft lead.

Boolit Buddy
    PM sent