Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cast boolets, black powder and buffalo

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    A very impressive accomplishment!

Boolit Bub
    Good morning all, figure I should post a few pics for anyone interested in some details of the Hall rifle,- and it's effectiveness on game as this is a hunting topic.
    The Hall was first developed by John Hancock Hall in 1811, and officially accepted by the US military in 1819. Originally of course in flintlock, mine is a Federal conversion to percussion done just before the Civil War. It is rifled with 16 deep grooves( and I always thought microgroove was a Marlin thing..)and originally with a .525 bore. The muzzle end is counterbore for a couple inches to allow easier traditional loading of patched round ball if the breech should happen to become to fouled to open . In the research I've done it is indicated that the original flintlock model took a charge of 100 grains of powder and a .525 ball. My Federal conversion has a reinforced sleeve in the chamber and will accept 75 grains
    of powder and a paper patched .530 ball.( about 225 grains in weight)
    It is very accurate, out to 100 yards or so shoots as well as about anything with open sights. I shot a nice whitetail doe at 110 long paces, she was quartering towards me and the ball struck just behind her shoulder, angled back through the right lung, through the liver, out her belly, re-entered her left hind leg and shattered the femur and still exited. pretty darn good performance from a 225 grain lead sphere...
    though it is a breech loader I can load an 1861 Springfield much faster, but it is quicker than a patch round ball rifle, and you can pretty easily load it from a prone position.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hALL SIGHT PICTURE.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	10.0 KB 
ID:	308659Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hall front sight.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	308660Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hall rear sight.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	17.8 KB 
ID:	308661Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hall breech block.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	308662Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hall muzzle end.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	308663
    anyways here's some pics...
    Big Goose

Boolit Bub
    forgot to add that it is claimed that soldiers would often carry their Hall breech blocks loaded as a back up hand gun... though that would work in a pinch it would not be pleasant to hang on to...
    the paper cartridges are formed from regular kitchen waxed paper, fairly durable in a cartridge box and somewhat water resistant, and the wax paper patched ball sure shoots well. Anyways, though the Hall is not legal for a muzzleloader season it's become one of my favorite guns for the regular firearms deer season...
    The offset sight picture is awkward at first but Ok once you get used to it... kind of like my son's Bren gun actually...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hall Breech block release.jpg 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	308664Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Breech partially raised.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	308665Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chamber- dirty, fired multiple shots.jpg 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	308666Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hall paper cartridge.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	308667

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the write-up and the pictures. I've always been drawn to black powder firearms. For a number of years I hunted strictly with muzzleloaders. I always thought the Hall was a unique and interesting rifle. Maybe some day I'll find one. During the past year I built an interesting breechloading flintlock, the British Ferguson. Being an early breechloader you might say it is a distant cousin of the Hall. As you stated neither one would be legal in a muzzleloader season but, I'd still like to hunt with it. Since we don't have Bison I'll have to settle for a deer or an elk.

Keep the wind in your face and your powder dry.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123