PBcastcoReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cast boolets, black powder and buffalo

Boolit Master
    Most excellent Big Goose and thanks for taking us along on the adventure.

Banner Sponsor

Most excellent!
    Big congratulations.
    I really like your coat also.

Boolit Master

A Hall rifle?! You have a working Hall rifle??? You, Sir, are blessed! My congratulations to you and your son, great hunt and write up, enjoy that buff'!
    Last edited by centershot; 12-19-2022 at 04:17 PM.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

A story that personifies the legend and lore of muzzle loading. Well done by you both!

To be able to take a true working antique onto the prairie, during a snow storm, hunting free range ‘tatanka’, and score two kills = PRICELESS.

A story for the ages. Thank you for sharing such a great hunt!

On a side note; I just lost my dad of 91. I am presently on our ranch hunting, first time since losing him on Thanksgiving day. I did not get the chance to take him this season. Previously, I would take him out with me to sit the blinds. My son couldn’t come, work. I’ve never felt more alone and blessed at the same time. It’s so great to see you and your son hunting together; Heritage. Even though, life is short, we are forever blessed with memories. Bravo!
    Last edited by Cast10; 12-19-2022 at 08:50 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cast10 View Post
    A story that personifies the legend and lore of muzzle loading. Well done by you both!

To be able to take a true working antique onto the prairie, during a snow storm, hunting free range ‘tatanka’, and score two kills = PRICELESS.

A story for the ages. Thank you for sharing such a great hunt!

On a side note; I just lost my dad of 91. I am presently on our ranch hunting, first time since losing him on Thanksgiving day. I did not get the chance to take him this season. Previously, I would take him out with me to sit the blinds. My son couldn’t come, work. I’ve never felt more alone and blessed at the same time. It’s so great to see you and your son hunting together; Heritage. Even though, life is short, we are forever blessed with memories. Bravo!
    Cast10, my condolences to you and your family, I am sorry for your loss. It was exactly thirty years ago that my father passed away, it has been some lonely hours in the forest since then. You are correct, we are blessed with the memories.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    Cast10, my condolences to you and your family, I am sorry for your loss. It was exactly thirty years ago that my father passed away, it has been some lonely hours in the forest since then. You are correct, we are blessed with the memories.
    Thank you sir. Much appreciated.

Boolit Grand Master
    very ,very nice
    way to go on the hunt especially with your son
    congrats
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    Condolences Cast10. I've walked that path too.

Thank you sir. Not a club I wanted to join.

Boolit Master

Thank you both for sharing that great hunt!

Boolit Master

what a cool story and hunt big goose. I've been muzzle loading since the '60's but nothing as cool as this. Cast10 sorry for your loss. I've been there.

Thank you T-bird….

Boolit Buddy
    Very nice story and details. Congrats to you both.
    I read these with interest as we have done many bison hunts on our place over the years. Always a different ending to it as no two hunts are the same. We had a large bull taken last year in December by a guy with a muzzleloader and this year in November a guy took a large bull with a modern bolt gun. Over the years though the majority have been prime young animals for meat. And most guys hunted with lever guns or six guns. Good memories. And congrats on your success

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for all the kind comments folks. Cast10, condolences for sure... I lost my Dad in 1974, I was 16 at the time, he suffered from a lengthy illness and my sister and I helped my Mom with the farm work and pay bills. Had a couple uncles who were incredible mentors, and later had a stepdad who was as good a father as my own Dad was. Blessings of life those have been, Lost my stepdad 4 years ago in September- miss them all every day. But, I and my two boys hunted with my 93 year old Mom this deer season, and that's a rare blessing too!.
    She didn't see a deer( if she had(in the words of Jed Clampett) it would have been casting a polka dot shadow. She can still hit with her old Marlin 30-30. but we have a lot of wolves and have had a couple tough winters for the whitetails up here.
    Anyway, when I carry my Grand Dad's old 86 Winchester out hunting its kind of like having Dad and Grandpa along with .. you know? Maybe that's just silly, but sometimes I feel like they're with me in the woods...
    I figured maybe some might like to see a couple pics of the Hall rifle up close, so here goes...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	loading the Hall.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	308405Click image for larger version. 

Name:	paper patched round ball.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	110.1 KB 
ID:	308406Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Firing the Hall.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	308407

Boolit Bub
    Forgot to say Messy bear, that's pretty cool, dont know too many folks who get to experience bison hunting. And it is hunting in every sense... taken a great many whitetails deer, several black bears , but buffalo for me bring me to tears...

Boolit Master
    great stuff,good to see old rifles out there doing what they were made to do.

Cast Boolits Owner

Great job! It is good to see stories of family hunting together.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Grand Master
    This is why I love this site.

Boolit Master
    Cool old rifle. I'm intrigued and will need to research these; how much powder, weight of boolit, etc... One would think reproductions would receive strong interest.

Thank you Big G…..

I know exactly what you’re saying. Same here. Merry Christmas!
    Last edited by Cast10; 12-24-2022 at 09:52 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast