RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: Lyman 429244AV mold, need gas check advice.

Boolit Buddy

Lyman 429244AV mold, need gas check advice.

I have the Lyman 429244 mold and the shank is micing at .400/.401 and I'm getting loose fitting GC's on my boolits. Is there something I can do to tighten them up? And I have tried the crazy-glue fix with no luck. I appreciate any advice, thank you.

Sage/Gator and Lyman .44 cal. GC's are what I have on hand.

Boolit Mold
    Powder coating will increase o.d of shank…. Tapping base of bullet against a hard surface may “expand” o.d of shank so checks hold for sizing.

Boolit Master

If you powder coat them and then put the checks on they work fine. That is what I do with that mold.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master

What are you sizing the bullet at when installing the GC's?
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    I do not care to powder coat my boolits, but thank you for the advice. I am sizing them to .431" to seat the GC with Lee sizing dies then I run them through my Star Lube/Sizer at a true .4305". The boolit is very accurate, I'm just in limbo if it stays on the boolit through flight or comes off down range. Looking to improve the accuracy of my load any way I can. Thank you.

Gator checks should be working fine with that .400/.401 shank.

Two things to try.
    1) Use a gas check seater before the Lee die. Consider using the gas check seater and skipping the Lee die. Or switch to a nose pusher and go through the Lee die base first.

2) Anneal your checks. Maybe you're getting too much springback.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
    Happiness is a couple of 38's and a bucket of ammo.

Moderator Emeritus

Sometimes, running the boolit through a sizer sans GC, will slightly enlarge the shank. After that, then appliy the GC and run it through the sizer a second time.
    Good Luck.

Another trick is to use a alloy with a higher antimony content and cast slower, so the mold is at a cooler temp.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Before the bullet takes flight, it's swaged down by the barrel to .430 or smaller, with .422 grooves.
    It's not coming off in flight.
    The gentlest medium I've found for stopping a fired bullet is a deep snow bank. I've tested marginal GC fit that way and always found the check firmly attached to the fired bullet.

Boolit Grand Master

I've shot several thousand 249244s with the old slip on Lyman GCs in my 44 Magnums. Sometimes the GC would even stay in the .429 H&I die after sizing and removing the bullet. I'd just pop the GC out and slip it back on the bullet to load. The GCs are held on in the 44 cases by the case tension and are solid on the base during firing because of the psi pushing the bullet. Never noticed any coming off in flight either. Since you use them lubed the bullets will be swaged down to .424 - .427 in a .429 groove diameter bore as the bullet/GC will be riding over a layer of lube also.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla