Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .22 Hornet conversion

Boolit Master
    elmacgyver0: "I was thinking about building a Chicopee in .22 hornet but have not done it yet, I have the rough-cut parts for the action, If I run across a suitable barrel, I may do it."

I'm building a Chicopee in 22 K-Hornet. I'm using a Green Mountain blank with a .224" bore and a 1-14 twist. They advertise it as for 22 magnum. Should work good for 22 Hornet. Here's a link;

https://www.gmriflebarrel.com/ItemFo...Item=22M-BLANK

They have a couple of savages at midway usa just recently in stock. How do I know this you may ask? Well I'm constantly searching "22 hornet" looking for brass because it's out of stock everywhere. Brass is expensive when you find it on gunbroker and the brass doesn't last...maybe 5 or so loadings. I like the cartridge, very efficient but a 223 rem these days would be cheaper to run i beleive and lots of options. Reduced loads would get you to hornet levels like dverna said. I have 2 hornets, an old 43 and a cz 527 being rebarreled by pac nor to a faster twist in k hornet. I have found that the hornet is one tricky bugger of a round to load for compared others but it when it works, it works well. The rifles I have are 1:16 twist and it needs very tiny projectiles. 1:14 would be better but I'm trying a 1:12.

Converting a rimfire to 22 hornet though...I have to agree with 405grain...could be a costly project.
    Last edited by almar; 12-21-2022 at 01:21 AM.
    “It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.”
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Master
    Sad thing about 223 is the 222 Remington has just about disappeared........this was doubtless the best of the 22s .......and had a 14" twist as standard.......well suited to 55gr bullets .

Boolit Buddy
    The Winchester 43 was developed from a rim fire design action, which is why it dosent have the opposed locking lugs of the typical higher pressure chambered rifles. Many developed excessive headspace because of the lack of such and require shimming between the halves of the 2 piece bolt..
    To a certain extent that is,,,then they become paperweights...lol
    Last edited by yovinny; 12-21-2022 at 09:02 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Martini .22 RF that I had converted to .22 K-Hornet but the Martini action is way stronger than any other .22 rim-fire action. At the time there were no (that I could find anyway) new Hornet rifles being made then it went though kind of a renaissance and there were many options.

I'd say hold out for a good deal. They're out there and waiting to be found. It cost me a small fortune to have my Ruger Hornet rebarreled and I could have replaced it with a CZ for less money...

Tony
    Hi, my name is Tony and I'm addicted to gunpowder.

AKA Geezerbiker

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by technojock View Post
    It cost me a small fortune to have my Ruger Hornet rebarreled and I could have replaced it with a CZ for less money...

Tony
    The Rugers have dissapointed me also. Started with the lighter sporter model, about 2.5moa was best I could get from it. Picked up the heavier SS barrel model, but it still dissapointed with barely sub 2moa results. Ended up sending the HB down the road and putting a SS shilen #3 on the sporter, which finally produced good sub moa accuracy..
    I should have just went with a CZ,,but they only had the funky european style stocked ones at that time,, and those just weren't my cup of tea..

Boolit Buddy

Scooterwrench:
    Been looking long and hard at this old 6.5 Carcano You are right! (My wife's favorite words!) There is .100 or so difference in the bolt face. Have a whole machine shop to try and play with the bolt face. Maybe modify an 22 Hornet magazine and adapt it to feed the Carcano.
    Regards, Charlie RockinDaddy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12