Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .22 Hornet conversion

Boolit Master

.22 Hornet conversion

I have always had a yen for a .22 Hornet but the price on them today puts them out of my range. Could a Savage 25 in .22magnum be converted without too much trouble and/or expense? What about the twist rate? Opinions please. james

Boolit Master
    TNsailorman: I just looked online and the Savage 25 is a centerfire rifle that's chambered in cartridges like 223 and 22 Hornet. Are you sure that your rifle is a model 25? A rifle in 22 magnum would be rimfire, not centerfire. Generally, converting a rimfire action to centerfire, plus rechambering the barrel, would cost more than just purchasing a rifle in the caliber that you want. Most 22lr and 22 mag. bolt action rifles use the root of the bolt handle as the bolt locking lug. This may not be the best choice for a centerfire rifle.

Boolit Master

Problem is I went brain dead for a few minutes when I posted the question. I know a fellow who has a Marlin 25MN in .22 WMF magnum. It is not a Savage. Sorry for the mis statement. james

Boolit Master
    Sportco in Oz marketed a rimfire converted to Hornet ,called a Model 33.......they had but a single bolt handle locking lug,and despite large size,were not sucessful.......the Hornet case has much more backthrust than any 22 rimfire ...........rimfires are generally 16" twist ,suitable for 45gn. max.

Boolit Master
    Thanks TNsailorman: I looked at some photos of that rifle online. In addition to re-machining the bolt to convert to centerfire, and also reworking the barrel, you'd also have to completely redo the magazine assembly. In short, to make a Marlin 25 into a 22 Hornet you would almost have to machine a whole new rifle. It would be much better (and less expensive) to just leave it as a 22 magnum and save up for a different rifle in 22 Hornet.

Boolit Master

Thanks for your advice and wisdom 405grain. After thinking this over a little bit more, I hae decided you are right. Save a few more pennies and look for a good affordable Hornet. james

Another Hornet fan here. I would love a levergun in the caliber but right now have settled on a Contender G2 carbine.

Boolit Master

The early Winchester model 70 in 22 Hornet used the same barrel size and twist as the 22 LR. .223 groove with 1 in 16" twist. Biggest problem is firing pin size, to large and primers will pierce.

I have found that stubbing is a good way to get such a rifle at reasonable cost. It does require that the host shotgun action features a small firing pin. I've used H&R Toppers to make a 9mm, a 44-40 and a .218 Bee so far.
    I already had dies and brass for the .218- otherwise I'd have probably gone with the Hornet.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    A can’t see a new rifle costing more than a conversion.

I was thinking about building a Chicopee in .22 hornet but have not done it yet, I have the rough-cut parts for the action, If I run across a suitable barrel, I may do it.
    I did build one in .17 HRM.

Boolit Buddy
    John.

I never have had a single primer issue in my 1941 22 Hornet short rifle M70, and have shot it far more than I can remember.
    Perhaps you encountered a M70 that was off spec ?

The wife complained the M70 was too heavy so I bought her a CZ 527.
    Had to glass bed the action and barrel, now its a sub inch rifle all day long

Am currently in the middle of making up 2 low # 1903 Springfields in 22 Hornet, just can't have one Hornet

J Wisner

Boolit Grand Master
    James,

Why not download a .223 to get what you want? Plenty of decent factory rifles and cheap cases.

I have no need to reduce load .223’s, but downloading would be my first kick at the cat if I needed something to mimic .22 Hornet performance. I am heavily committed to .223’s with seven in the stable so maybe that is clouding my judgment....lol.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by James Wisner View Post
    John.

I never have had a single primer issue in my 1941 22 Hornet short rifle M70, and have shot it far more than I can remember.
    Perhaps you encountered a M70 that was off spec ?

The wife complained the M70 was too heavy so I bought her a CZ 527.
    Had to glass bed the action and barrel, now its a sub inch rifle all day long

Am currently in the middle of making up 2 low # 1903 Springfields in 22 Hornet, just can't have one Hornet

J Wisner
    Most model 70s don't have a problem with firing pin size, it's converted rifles that have a problem.

Boolit Master
    I have a Springfield Model 1922 that was converted to 22 Hornet. Very accurate but a heavy rifle.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Buddy

I like the 22 Hornet. Have a Hornet in a Ruger No.1 V grade that has taken a lot of woodchucks, prairie dogs, crows, foxes, feral cats and even an 8 pt buck. Been looking at Italian Carcano rifles that have recently come into the country. The 6.5 mm Italian might make a nice conversion for cheap! There are a pile of 22cal barrels out on the market. Most for .223 Rem. The Hornet has a rim but the 6.5 Carcano is semi-rimless! Might have to modify the extractor and bolt cut???

Boolit Grand Master

I have a #3 Ruger 22 Hornet i aquired in the mid '70's. After thousands of rounds at varmints I have literally shot the barrel out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Red Diggers with 22 Hornet.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	115.4 KB 
ID:	308251
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

I'm not sure that you'll find ANY NEW .22 Hornet rifle for less than $500 and perhaps not even a used one. H&R/NEF single shots and Savage/Stevens 340/325 bolt actions were the most affordable for a while, but they've inflated like every thing else.
    GPC has used Kassnar/Armscor. 22 Hornet barrels for $76.....

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I just bought an unfired savage 24F in 22 hornet over a 3" 12 gauge choked barrel for $600. Bought from a neighbor. Their relative passed and has a pile of firearms their selling off. They had another 24F in 20 gauge 22lr. If it was a 22wmr,222, or 223 I would have bought it.. I just need to find some brass and a die set now. I've always wanted a taurus raging hornet. Should have bought one back in the day when they were first available. I've always wanted a hornet myself but options were always limited so I bought a 223 instead. Figured I could download it if I really wanted to but never found a reason to. My dad had a 24 in the 70's. Chambered in 22mag and 20 gauge. I have been looking for one to replace it for years. He sold it in the late 70's when I wasn't legal to hunt yet orni would have had enough sense to try and stop him from doing so. Some day I'll find one.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 12-19-2022 at 09:10 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockindaddy View Post
    I like the 22 Hornet. Have a Hornet in a Ruger No.1 V grade that has taken a lot of woodchucks, prairie dogs, crows, foxes, feral cats and even an 8 pt buck. Been looking at Italian Carcano rifles that have recently come into the country. The 6.5 mm Italian might make a nice conversion for cheap! There are a pile of 22cal barrels out on the market. Most for .223 Rem. The Hornet has a rim but the 6.5 Carcano is semi-rimless! Might have to modify the extractor and bolt cut???
    I've been into playing with those Carcano's too. Just built one to run 7X57. 6-1/2lb carry all day rifle. Sweet shooter!!!
    The rim on the 6.5X52 is .450 and the 22 hornet is .350 Good idea but the conversion may be a little tough. The enbloc clip could be squeezed to hold the hornet cartridge but the bolt face would need some serious modification for the extractor to grip the rim.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast