Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PC issue...what am I doing wrong with this new powder?

Boolit Master

looks good to me translucents are made to see thur
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Buddy
    Anyone here tried any of the other Eastwood colors? I bought from them because I wanted the their chrome and I also ordered Ford blue and mirror red since all 3 were recommended here. I'd like to try their bronze, gold or copper penny colors later on but for now I have all the powder I think I can use...

Tony
    Hi, my name is Tony and I'm addicted to gunpowder.

AKA Geezerbiker

Boolit Buddy

My experience using PC

Eastwood baby blue and pink covered my cast bullets well with shake and bake. I've had problems like you with my powders. If I double coat the bullet, they could look better but I've spent twice the time coat them. I have an orange that is splotchy for one coat, rough, on the second, and darker than I'd like. I have a white PC that needs to be PC'd twice. I mixed the two and the PC baked on smooth and changed to a tan color. If I had yellow, I would have used than but the finished PC cast bullet looks good enough. Here's a photo of it on the far llefleleftClick image for larger version. 

Name:	PC40calTC.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	308217. I also have a gold that bakes on rough but a clear that bakes on smooth. I plan to mix the two in order to smooth out the gold next. Here's a photo of these two.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PC 40-160HP.jpg  

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mehavey View Post
    [But....] if the shake method in fact coats the bullet evenly & well, why would that particular
    powder then bake differently (color distribution/uniformity) from that deposited by a gun?

...not that I haven't experienced some of the 'translucent' or 'candy' colors doing the same
    thing when applied over bare lead (as opposed to a light/white base)
    Im not talking about baking. (???) Im only talking to application just as every previous poster.

But Ill say, why would any one think that the powder could know if the 400° @ 20 min bake was applied in a toaster oven or a commercial powder coating oven. (Why would you think its different???)

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

If he powder shake-coats evenly/thoroughly to appear as dry velvet. . . .
    Then at known 450 melt/400 cure... it doesn't care what oven produces the heat.

If he powder shake-coats evenly/thoroughly to appear as dry velvet. . . .
    Then at known 450 melt/400 cure... it doesn't care what oven produces the heat.
    If the oven has hot spots inside or if the upper elements are too close to the casts...that PC will care!

An induction oven with a heat circulating fan is far better than a toaster oven for even regulated heat.
    Most all these cheap Chineeee knock-off ovens have the worst thermostats imaginable.
    They LIE!
    Don't get me wrong though...any oven can do PC, some do it better than others.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Standard Hamilton Beach/PID-controlled/convection/deep-dish contained/stable temp (measuered ± 1° at the probe . . .

Eastwood Metallic Purple on clean/bare lead

Eastwood Metallic Purple over WhiteSignal

`Still going to get effects different from solid colors (FordLight and/or Blue/Green/Red Mirrors) when using
    translucent, or candies, neons, etc. And functionally -- just fine.

Their single-stage or Extreme Chromes, however are spectacular
    Last edited by mehavey; 12-18-2022 at 03:50 PM.

Good looking Purple casts.

I too was PC'ing in every color imaginable until one day I mixed a simple gloss black (Sherwin Williams) with a flat white of unknown mfgr. (expecting to get some shade of grey) and came up with a color I call 'Old Lead'. I like it...since then, I've given all the colors to friends and my PC'ing life has become much more simple...

4'th from the left is one in a line-up of some bare lead 38 Specials...it's close enough.

Of course, many times I get my ratios wrong when refreshing a bowl of PC but I'm still happy with this...

Last edited by OS OK; 12-18-2022 at 04:07 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Those look really nice

Beautiful detail...
    Are you Gunning or Shaking?
    (I notice the bases also covered)

Beautiful detail...
    Are you Gunning or Shaking?
    (I notice the bases also covered)
    Shake for about 20 seconds with a minimum of powder and the air soft BB's...dump them on a cookie tray and roll it back and forth a few times so they will orient sideways to me & I tap the tweezers on the side of the cookie tray and knock off any excess PC then stand them on parchment with a pair of tweezers. Too much of the PC will form skirts at the bases.
    I get by with a short shake because of the arid climate we have out here.
    It's kinda the long way to get them PC'd but I try to have a good looking cast with a smooth finish. Next is the sizing.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    Good looking Purple casts.

I too was PC'ing in every color imaginable until one day I mixed a simple gloss black (Sherwin Williams) with a flat white of unknown mfgr. (expecting to get some shade of grey) and came up with a color I call 'Old Lead'. I like it...since then, I've given all the colors to friends and my PC'ing life has become much more simple...

4'th from the left is one in a line-up of some bare lead 38 Specials...it's close enough.

Of course, many times I get my ratios wrong when refreshing a bowl of PC but I'm still happy with this...

Those sure are purdy! I mistakenly did something similar. I bought black HF PC but it didn't stick at all, so I bought white HF PC and it kinda stuck. So then I mixed the two and like you was expecting a shade of grey but instead ended up with a speckled look like yours. However I was heavy on the white so it looks more like a killdeer egg. I like the look, but it was too much effort and had to double coat to get the HF powders to stick. I use eastwoods ford blue currently, but would like a more natural color like what you're creating. I might order up some of that black PC like you got and see if it'll mix with the HF white to create something similar.

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by Cast10 View Post
    If it were me, I’d smash test some. The translucent is more ‘see thru’ (translucent). From the picture it looks like they may be covered. If they smash, then load and shoot. Better luck next time. Good Luck.
    /\/\ this they are coated,translucent is see thru

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12