Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: The Way Paul Matthews Did It

The Way Paul Matthews Did It

Any of you fellas tried loading single shot rifles with paper patched soft lead boolits from the muzzle the way Paul Matthews wrote about?

Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Any of you fellas tried loading single shot rifles with paper patched soft lead boolits from the muzzle the way Paul Matthews wrote about?
    Not paper patched, but I have two Ballard rifles that have false muzzles and barrels were built to muzzle load the bullet with a charged case in the chamber. One is a .28-35 Pope barrel, and the other is a .38-55 Schoyen barrel.
    I don't find this method any more accurate than breech seating a bullet into the bore from the chamber end, followed by a charged case. And breech seating is so much easier on the shooter.

Boolit Master
    Vall, you need to start a Ballard Museum. Surely you are channeling Pope, Schoyen, Ned Roberts and more!

Boolit Buddy
    I actually asked CPA if they would build me a false muzzzled rifle like they had on the splash page of their facebook page. Generally it was too time consuming.

I used to have a C. Sharps rifle, 45-70, with a really long throat in it. I never could get it to fire fixed ammo with PP bullets accurately unless they were groove diameter which defeats the purpose. So I tried this - other than the discomfort of loading a primed rifle from the front it allowed me to see if bore size bullets would shoot. By adding enough inert filler first in front of the loaded cartridge to get the bullet up past the throat I saw very good accuracy from it. Not something to do very often but it satisfied my curiosity as to that rifle and the effect of the freebore.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanghai Jack View Post
    I actually asked CPA if they would build me a false muzzzled rifle like they had on the splash page of their facebook page. Generally it was too time consuming.
    I believe Ron Smith (RKS barrels) still builds false muzzle barrels. Might contact him for a barrel, and then have it fitted to whatever gun you wanted.