RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan Reloading

Thread: Used 223 to 9mm or 357 cartridge

Boolit Bub

Used 223 to 9mm or 357 cartridge

This may have been a topic of the past or i can't find it to my liking. I pick up all the brass I can find at the range. Most of which is 223 and 9mm. I have used several calibers of brass cartridges to swage into usable projectiles. I wonder if one could use 9mm brass annealed and swaged to .356 or .357 bullet. then work a 223 case to shoot it. Something like a 357 ar or 350 legend. Is this possible?

Boolit Master
    Not having swaging equipment, I have no idea of the possibilities that extend from turning .223 Cases into projectiles. But there may be other options for the left-over brass.
    Google "9mm Cooper Cartridge" and find a book that deals extensively with cartridge case conversions. If memory serves, .223 cases can be converted to .38 Super, 9mm Browning, and 7.62x25 mm, though the amount of time and work involved varies from one cartridge to another.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

.40sw to .44mag is pretty easy. I use a .357 cast boolit for my core.

I know it is possible to get them up to .45acp size but takes more work.

Never had any luck trying to draw 9mm small enough so they would load in 9mm or .38spcl.

Takes the right tools and a better press than I have.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Grand Master

The 9mm works great to form 40 S&W bullets. I don't think that you'll be able to swage to .358".
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

Tried making 50 BMG bullets from 300 mag, found out you had to leave the spent primer in the case or the brass would not leave the barrel with the lead.

Boolit Master

I can see your line of thinking, I have often pined for a 357 AR. Free brass and cast friendly, what is not to love? That said, there is no need to swage, given that it should shoot cast boolits just fine. Now I just need to find a wad of cash and someone to build a nice bolt gun for me…

Boolit Master

Just for your information, in the past, I've swaged down 40 S&W cases to make 41 magnum jacketed bullets. I used my Rockchucker press to do it, with no issues. For a core, I used a soft lead .357 - .358 wad cutter. The Rockchucker didn't have any problem at all sizing the cases down. I used a 250 Savage size die to form the truncated cone tip. They shot very well.
    All the best in your endeavor.
    Last edited by littlejack; 12-18-2022 at 09:47 PM.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.