Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Cross draw holster

Boolit Master

Cross draw holster

Would a cross draw holster for 1911 With 5 in barrel be a good choice if a person has a bad elbow?

Boolit Master
    May be > need to try and see how it works for you ?

Boolit Master
    Because of physical limitations I pretty much cross draw all my firearms. It works for me. The one thing I can tell you is that it pretty much (unless you’re double jointed) negates the ability to be able to draw your firearm with your offhand. Only you can decide whether the trade-off is worth it. Or of that particular type of carry is the right type for you. You might also try a shoulder holster. Which I guess when you think about it is Cross draw.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by poppy42 View Post
    Because of physical limitations I pretty much cross draw all my firearms. It works for me. The one thing I can tell you is that it pretty much (unless you’re double jointed) negates the ability to be able to draw your firearm with your offhand. Only you can decide whether the trade-off is worth it. Or of that particular type of carry is the right type for you. You might also try a shoulder holster. Which I guess when you think about it is Cross draw.
    After looking at video's I like the idea of a bandoleer holster.

Boolit Master
    I have carried a S&W Shield or a 3" Revolver crossdraw every day for years. A 1911 Gov't model might be a bit large for concealed carry but certainly doable. I find the weak hand draw awkward but easier than with conventional strong side carry. Build and body type probably has a lot to do with it. I used to carry a 1911 Government Model in a shoulder rig for work while in plain clothes and often carry the Shield 40 in the shoulder rig while in waders fishing.

Try out the type of rig you are interested in before buying if you can. What works for me might not for you.

Boolit Grand Master
    How big is your stomach? What size gun do you have? Open or concealed carry? How bad is your arm? All of these considerations impact your choice.

I carried a cross draw for several years on duty, but that was 25 pounds ago. As my girth increased, it was increasingly more difficult for me to draw my fire arm, so I eventually returned to a strong side carry. What I liked about the cross-draw was the ease of access to the firearm while seated, and the off-hand accessibility. As a younger, more limber fellow, I could grasp the butt of my handgun with either hand and draw quite rapidly. And it was readily available while seated in the patrol car.
    In my last years of professional gun packing, I carried a J-frame accessible to my off-hand while my duty weapon was strong-side. If your elbow precludes a high-ride carry, you might want to consider a drop-loop or similar holster to reduce the flexion.

These days, I use a shoulder holster whenever the weather allows me to wear a coat. For deep concealed carry, a pocket holster with a compact pistol may be your best bet if a shoulder holster is out of the question.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    Used/using both a cross draw and a bandoleer style holster for my 44Spec flattop and for my 357 GP100 for hunting/hiking or tractor work on the farm. Both have their pros and cons however, for me, they are more comfortable than strong side. You may/may not like either. To me, they distribute the weight better; weight doesn't seem to all be in one place. Like rintinglen said, crossdraw can't be beat for speed/comfort while sitting or driving as gun and holster doesn't get in the way of seatbelt buckle. Have smaller lighter guns for conceal carry.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    How big is your stomach? What size gun do you have? Open or concealed carry? How bad is your arm? All of these considerations impact your choice.

I carried a cross draw for several years on duty, but that was 25 pounds ago. As my girth increased, it was increasingly more difficult for me to draw my fire arm, so I eventually returned to a strong side carry. What I liked about the cross-draw was the ease of access to the firearm while seated, and the off-hand accessibility. As a younger, more limber fellow, I could grasp the butt of my handgun with either hand and draw quite rapidly. And it was readily available while seated in the patrol car.
    In my last years of professional gun packing, I carried a J-frame accessible to my off-hand while my duty weapon was strong-side. If your elbow precludes a high-ride carry, you might want to consider a drop-loop or similar holster to reduce the flexion.

These days, I use a shoulder holster whenever the weather allows me to wear a coat. For deep concealed carry, a pocket holster with a compact pistol may be your best bet if a shoulder holster is out of the question.
    Like I said above, i’ve carried Cross draw for years. And for the life of me I can’t figure out how do you find offhand access to a semi automatic with a grip pointing the opposite direction easy access. I find it extremely difficult to turn my wrist in to be able to get a good grip on my firearm. I must be missing something. I know it’s probably difficult but could you explain how you did it? Don’t know if it would work for me but I’d be real curious to get some input
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    I love mine. In the truck you never know it's on. I can draw without moving my head or right shoulder sitting down. Conceal carry could be a problem. There are lots of light weight guns sa for a shoulder holster options. If I have a coat I can put this over my right shoulder and the gun under my left arm. I had the belt made wide as I could get through a belt loop. The wider belt doesn't dig into your shoulder as much.
    Last edited by 45DUDE; 12-15-2022 at 02:12 PM.

Boolit Master
    So many choices! For open carry I'm ruling out strong side and appendix holster because of elbow and hernia mesh problems.I am going with bandoleer style for now. For concealed carry,I am going to look at smaller framed guns.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 45DUDE View Post
    I love mine. In the truck you never know it's on. I can draw without moving my head or right shoulder sitting down. Conceal carry could be a problem. There are lots of light weight guns sa for a shoulder holster options. If I have a coat I can put this over my right shoulder and the gun under my left arm. I had the belt made wide as I could get through a belt loop. The wider belt doesn't dig into your shoulder as much.
    That is fine looking leather work

at 0,45'' , an interesting performance from shoulder holsters without cross-draw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ON3_CP3mC0
    Last edited by wilecoyote; 12-15-2022 at 07:58 PM.
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

A shoulder holster under both arms with two 1911s, eases the problem of the weak hand a wee bit. But the cross draw holster makes a car or truck carry much easier than a gun in a console. It is the base for the car-jack holster model.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wilecoyote View Post
    at 0,45' , an interesting performance from exercise holsters without cross-draw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ON3_CP3mC0
    Old Bruce has a lot of reloading to do after all that blasting away.