Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication

Thread: New Straight pull rifle from Savage: the Impulse

Boolit Master

New Straight pull rifle from Savage: the Impulse

Straight pull rifles have been produced in the USA and Canada, but never really lasted. I got this in an email this morning. The lock up seems to be ball bearings.

I tried to post a picture of the lockup, but I am getting a message about exceeding quota. But the you tube if one plays it at half speed, one can see how the this new straight pull works. I would be cautious in buy such a rifle until I new that it had the cramming and extraction force of a conventional 98 mauser rifle.

The new Impulse, the American straight-pull rifle from Savage is instinctive and fast. Compared to a traditional bolt action rifle, which requires four motions -- up, rearward, forward, and down, the speed of Impulse's straight-pull action is undeniable. Breakthrough technology, repeat accuracy, enhanced safety, lightning fast speed and Savage performance all come together in Impulse.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    Straight pull rifles have been produced in the USA and Canada, but never really lasted. I got this in an email this morning. The lock up seems to be ball bearings.

I tried to post a picture of the lockup, but I am getting a message about exceeding quota. But the you tube if one plays it at half speed, one can see how the this new straight pull works. I would be cautious in buy such a rifle until I new that it had the cramming and extraction force of a conventional 98 mauser rifle.

Have seen and shot this type from IMF. They work really good, they use / used for their snipers.

Boolit Master
    The Swiss K-31 is a straight-pull design and typically works well to extract fired cases.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    The Swiss K-31 is a straight-pull design and typically works well to extract fired cases.
    The swiss has rotating lugs and likely a lot of primary extraction.
    Have seen and shot this type from IMF. They work really good, they use / used for their snipers.
    Interesting if the military uses rifles with a ball bearing lockup. The G3 use roller bearings for their delayed blowback system that is not so different.

Boolit Buddy
    I don't think you will ever get the same amount of primary extraction from a straight pull that you can get from a Mauser Design. Its a matter if it is enough. I have a K31 - it's a smooth operating, accurate rifle. I don't know how it would work in rough conditions where more primary extraction force would be needed. I really think the coolest straight pull design is the Blaser. That collet system is very slick and accurate. Just very spendy.

Boolit Buddy
    Wasn’t the blazer rifles blowing the bolt out of the rifle when fired?

Boolit Buddy
    Blaser Dang auto correct

Boolit Master
    Yep,its ball bearing locked ......and yes,the worst accident ever at the local range (SSAABelmont) was a guy getting his face smashed by a Blaser bolt..........I would never trust a ball locked gun ..Savage or not.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    Yep,its ball bearing locked ......and yes,the worst accident ever at the local range (SSAABelmont) was a guy getting his face smashed by a Blaser bolt..........I would never trust a ball locked gun ..Savage or not.
    That was a Blaser R93. R8's are different.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Master
    I like the idea. I turned a couple ar’s into straight pulls with the gas hole blocked off. Takes a little hit to get the bolt head turning. Not perfect but works.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    This is similar to the Heim straight pull actions. The locking mechanism works like the quick-disconnect on an air hose. Actions like these are popular on competitive biathlon rifles because of their speed of operation. As an engineer I don't particularly care for ball lock straight pulls because of the possibility of brinelling effect. The contact patch of the hardened balls against their mating surfaces on the receiver are very small. Because of this, the contact surfaces generate very high structural loading on a small surface area of the receiver. Over repeated loading cycles this can cause indentations to form in the receiver where the edge of the balls contact it. As these indentations become deeper over time the headspace of the rifle increases. To circumvent brinelling the receiver would need to be very hard. Increasing hardness (instead of toughness) in the receiver would also increase brittleness. I'm sure that these metallurgical requirements have been addressed, but such properties are not required for more conventional firearms.

The ball lock straight pull action is popular with European hunters, some of whom may only shoot less than one box of shells in a year. They like the quickness of the action for follow up shots at running game animals that are being driven towards them. In America we use a different hunting style, and either stalk up to, or lay in wait for game animals. On average we target and practice shoot much more than our European friends, but the shots that we take at game are (usually) not running shots. Americans are well suited with their selection of lever action, semi-auto, and bolt action hunting rifles. I would suspect that marketing for straight pull actions will be limited here, but it will fill a niche for those with a taste for the exotic.

Boolit Master

I think there was a similar action introduced about 1980, it did not last long. There was not enough contact area between the balls and the receiver. The issues are as stated by 405grain. If the action had 4 times as many balls, it might last long enough to be worthwhile, but it might take more than that..
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master
    The military guns that use the idea use rollers with curved seats to spread load......would I have anything to do with a ball locked gun?..........the Blaser accident victim was in a coma for a month ,wasnt expected to live,and needed extensive reconstructive surgery .......and I might also add .....I have the ball locked air connectors,and they often come apart unintentionally.

Boolit Grand Master
    I think I'll just stay with my Mauser 98.

Boolit Master

Looks like they are preparing for a semi-auto ban…

That rifle is uglier than an Axis. Took some doing, too.
    Did I say that out loud?

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

All they have to do is incorporate it into a video game and the tactitards will buy them all up.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    That rifle is uglier than an Axis. Took some doing, too.
    Did I say that out loud?

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
    You took the words right off of my fingers. Then again, I haven't met a gun with synthetics as a primary component that I think is pretty. Give me a nice wood and deep blue any day over the latest abominations with triggers.
    God gave us music that we might pray without words