RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weirhauch HW50S in the House!

Weirhauch HW50S in the House!

Howdy, all!

Last Friday, 09DEC2022, I received my HW50S in the mail! Due to the time of year, time was against me. Prior to the rifle’s arrival, I had a couple goodies show up to the house in preparation.

(2) Barracuda Match tins
    (2) Field Target Trophy tins
    (1) Air Venturi worm kit and extra patches
    (1) Williams FP-AG-TK

I had set my Williams to about right on Saturday. With limited time to work with, I got some time behind the trigger. It’s helpful that the 25y range is out back and just needs set up!

Sunday though, I got to see a little of what this puppy can do. Off the bat, that Rekord trigger is very nice. I didn’t touch it from the factory, we are happy with one another.

The rifle is coming along very nicely. Groups settled out after Saturday’s shoot. Screws have been backing out slightly, nothing crazy. I keep on them Pre-shooting, while shooting, and post-shooting.

I am still making my way through it’s very first tin. I am shooting Barracuda Match….let’s just say, it’s performing well already, at least in my opinion.

I shot these three target boards back to back. They are 3” pasters on cardboard. They’re out of order but, sequence of fire was-
    Middle board, Right, Left.
    Now you see one target on the left there that looks like it must be missing some holes…

First shot I knew was high, so I knuckled down. As I kept shooting, I started checking the spotting scope on pellet four. I just didn’t see anymore white growing down range…heck that was the day’s last group. Four consecutively in a hole at 25y during my first “real” session? I called it good and packed up!

Can’t wait to shoot more!
    - Brent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Brent, you sure seem to have a shooter there! Weihrauch makes a lovely rifle -- and a lovely trigger as well. Hope you get to spend some more time shooting it in to where you are putting five in one hole regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Abert Rim View Post
    Brent, you sure seem to have a shooter there! Weihrauch makes a lovely rifle -- and a lovely trigger as well. Hope you get to spend some more time shooting it in to where you are putting five in one hole regularly.
    That trigger IS somethin isn’t it? I am thoroughly tickled with this particular example!!

Boolit Grand Master
    Good to see others getting into air guns. Very affordable way to get trigger time for those who enjoy shooting. These are not the crap stuff we old timers are used to from 40+ years ago at K-Mart.

Brentona, it that in .177 or .22? Just a suggestion. Give the Crosman Premier pellets a shot - pun intended. I have found the Crosman pellets to be excellent for the price (1/3 the cost of premier pellets). Easily averaging under 1" groups at 50 yards with the .22 ca. 14.2 gr pellets.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Good to see others getting into air guns. Very affordable way to get trigger time for those who enjoy shooting. These are not the crap stuff we old timers are used to from 40+ years ago at K-Mart.

Brentona, it that in .177 or .22? Just a suggestion. Give the Crosman Premier pellets a shot - pun intended. I have found the Crosman pellets to be excellent for the price (1/3 the cost of premier pellets). Easily averaging under 1" groups at 50 yards with the .22 ca. 14.2 gr pellets.
    Howdy pard! This one is in .177!

Boolit Master

Congrats on a great rifle, Brent! I bought an HW95 a couple years back, I know what you mean about those triggers, mechanical perfection! Keep practicing, that rifle will continue to impress you!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master
    Try every flavor, size and weight, of pellet you can get your hands on.
    The gun will tell you what it likes, then you will be looking at close to one hole, 10 shot group..
    Injoy the journey.... I had one of these, just the beginning to the addiction.........

Thanks for the kind words y’all!

Re: Pellets. I helped a retired friend’s wife move a bunch of furniture and clear their garage this past Sunday. They’re moving down to SC (only about 2:20 north of me) from MD and he has trouble getting around after a tree fell on and damn near killed him four years ago. In any event, we’re “internet friends”, I actually still haven’t met him - 30DEC I’ll finally get to shake his hand and say “hey” in person.

I made mention of this on one of my main forums I use, and was told I made another retired gentleman’s “nice list”. He’s pretty deep in the Airgun game, and was going to send me a selection of .177’s to run through and see what is what! Always pay it forward, comes back to you ten times. I don’t have much to offer in regards to resources, I have SOME knowledge on things, but at 31 with a strong back, my time is most easily and readily shared!

- Brent

great guns

here is mine i purchased from the now defunct Air Rifle Headquarters in West Virginia over 54 years ago - i have the bill of sale someplace in the achieves, but i do remember paying an extra $6.00 to have it tuned + accurized by the owner of company [ Robert Law ] -target shown was shipped with it + still is more accurate than i am -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Quote Originally Posted by schutzen-jager View Post
    here is mine i purchased from the now defunct Air Rifle Headquarters in West Virginia over 54 years ago - i have the bill of sale someplace in the achieves, but i do remember paying an extra $6.00 to have it tuned + accurized by the owner of company [ Robert Law ] -target shown was shipped with it + still is more accurate than i am -
    That is way too cool! Thanks so much for sharing! I sure wish I could drop $6 for a tune these days

found it

found original bill of sale, total back ten was $177.90 - also still have some vintage pellets from way back -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Quote Originally Posted by schutzen-jager View Post
    found original bill of sale, total back ten was $177.90 - also still have some vintage pellets from way back -
    That’s awesome! I hang on to similar stuff as well! Hopefully I’m around when it’s vintage, too!

You take excellent pictures! The gun looks really nice, Excellent Wood!

I got my first HW 35 EB (Export Beeman) in 1978 for $189. I was 28.

I got a second one (HW 35 E) a few years ago for $60 but had to refinish the stock and clean it up. They are about $550 new now and the gun has been in continuous production since 1951!

IF you treat this gun like one of your prized firearms it will outlast you easily and you will shoot it a lot more than any other gun.

Have a look at Pyramyd Air for Pellets and accessories. I have found that JSB and H&N pellets are about the best out there for these guns.

The first one is my HW35EB purchased in 1978, the second one was found in a junk store for $60! I have the same Williams/Beeman Aperture Rear Sight as you on the first one and left the open sight on the newer one. (both were made in 1977)

I use these guns primarily for Iron Sight practice.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100464621.JPG   100464619.JPG  
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    I found that the JSB Exacts and Express, shoot the best in my HW's. You should be sure to try them, before settling on a particular pellet.

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I bought a HW50s a couple of years ago. The one I bought had a 3 X 9 scope mounted to it and shoots better than I can shoot it.
    One of my favorite things to shoot is Dum Dum suckers at 25 yards. I love watching those things explode.

If you figure out what the gun likes, get your pellets from Pyramid Air, load 4 tins and pay for 3. If you buy enough you get shipping free.

Great rifle you have there, and one that will only get better with time and shooting. I finally broke down and got the gun I always wanted, HW97k in blue laminant stock. To say Weirauch makes a nice gun is a gross understatement! I scoped my gun with an Athlon 30mm 4-14 and it shoots the H&N .22 Field Target Trophy pellets like a fine Winchester Model 52 Match rifle at 25yds. It does well enough with the wally-world Crosman hp's to hunt with, but the RWS Meisterkrugens just plain suck, (there's no other way to put it). The RWS pellets do very well in my Dianna 34 though. The H&N FTT did so well I ordered 4 tins of 500 from Midway while they were on sale at under $10.00 a tin.

You got one of the best break barrel air rifles in the world, I suspect it will serve you well and long.
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    You take excellent pictures!
    Randy
    Thanks, Randy! That’s another one of my favorite hobbies. I am a sucker for a chance to use my camera on nature or firearms!

Hearing everyone’s tales of half century old Weirhauch’s encourages me! I plan to treat this as nicely as my “real” rifles. I know there will be maintenance along the way.

This week has been a BUSY one! Maybe more shooting this weekend!!

- Brent

Boolit Man
    I have, or have had most of the HW platform guns except this newer style 50S. It is a different gun than the 50S from decades ago mentioned by another poster.The older gun is the same platform as the Beeman R8 and is perhaps my favorite Weirauch. It is quite a bit less powerful but a sheer joy to shoot.

The newer 50S when introduced was also sold for a short time as the Beeman R6. These share the 26mm diameter piston dimension of the HW95/77/97 vs the 25mm of the old guns. The HW95 platform uses a longer stroke than the newer 50S and lacks the articulated cocking arm link. The 50S did get a bit of grief over this linkage as it didn’t have quite the mechanical advantage of the conventional setup.

The somewhat shorter stroke on the newer gun vs the HW95/R9 led to a quicker shot cycle which made accurate shooting slightly easier. Think of shorter lock time. I have loads of pellets, and in .177 my Weirauchs all like the JSBs. These are rebranded or the same pellet sold under the Air Arms label. In 22, most Weirauchs like the H&N Field Target Trophy. They are a bit less consistent in diameter but shoot best. Largest head size is most recommended.

I don’t have the 50S, mostly because I tune my guns down a bit and have an HW77 shooting that velocity. I also tuned an R9 down a bit. The 50S is a very nice gun in a very nice sized platform. As you are finding out they are very rewarding, and much praise to you for installing the peep sight. Half of mine wear peep sights. I have compact scopes on several, and only have bigger scopes on a few. I really like Weirauch.

Brent the only Maintenance you will need is a drop or two in the air cylinder. Make sure to get Pure Silicone Air cylinder oil and one small bottle will last you a lifetime. A small amount on the linkage once in a while as well.

But the main thing is to wipe it down with a silicone gun rag after each use to get the hand prints off, and keep the gun indoors in the house, preferably in a heated safe. Also make sure everyone who might handle the gun knows it is not a toy and needs to be handled with care.

I've been lucky in that none of my guns have been handled by anyone but me. So I can maintain them as I see fit. Might sound selfish, but that's the way guns stay looking new.

Good Luck, and within a month or so you will be so attached to that gun you will never give it up.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Howdy all and good morning!!

Peep sights!? Count me in! I have only one rifle that wears glass and it’s a Leupold 1-4 on a .375 H&H. My eyesight is still strong(ish) with some light correction. I truly get MORE joy out of shooting with irons. Often time, I find I shoot better with irons within my eyesight limits or provided I have a properly sized target at distance.

Now to say you can’t dial in to much better results with magnification!

I am going to have to watch some basic maintenance videos on YouTube as this is my first Airgun of any note or one that I’d like to care for. On the subject of care? It’s just my wife, three dogs, and me! She’s one hell of a shot, but doesn’t reach for the guns if I’m not involved in the shooting session. And I am ANAL about keeping bluing rich, wood wiped, etc. I had a LOT more guns than I do currently. I sold a fair amount for investment money, and to re-invest into very fine examples of each firearm platform I utilize. They’re all cared for lovingly, by me. No sticky fingers, slippery fingers, or errant hands on my pop-guns! Thank the Lord!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast