Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weirhauch HW50S in the House!

I am a fairy active member on the Levergun-Scoundrels forum. I have a similar thread going there as well. I mentioned my activities of two Sundays ago getting in the way of my shooting this rifle much recently. Here’s the cliff notes version.

Have a forum friend in Maryland. While we’ve not actually met face to face, we have gotten very close. He had an injury involving a falling tree four years or so ago. His mobility is a little curtailed currently, and he is moving to my state of South Carolina. They’re only moving 2:20 north of me, and time is something I have to spare. Money? Nah, but time I have! At 31 and in good shape, I was just the one that could help them with their big stuff (furniture, tools, reloading supplies).

I met his wife for the first time and set foot in his house before him. They’re retired age, and honestly, most my friends are. So I thought nothing of it.

Well on the Levergun forum, a member told me I made his nice-list and GRACIOUSLY sent me these flavors to sample and see what my rifle likes!

People’s generosity towards others astound me! I have had only a smattering of conversation with my Santa, but gift me they did.

Aways nice to get a serving of humble pie. Thank you!

Here in the New Year, after more time on the trigger, I am going to do a couple videos on ammo testing / groups for prosperity sake. I am curious about it, I figure there is at least one other that is as well!

- Brent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    On the subject of pellets, I have had some "high end" pellets shoot like crap. The good news is it does not take a lot of time to figure out if a pellet performs poorly...many times one group. The bad news is what to do with them. I have been letting them sit in my pellet storage box but need to put them up for sale. I have two excellent .22 cal air rifles and it is unlikely I will add another.

I found the JSB's and Air Arms pellets to be the best in both guns. But I cannot shoot well enough to justify them. At 50 yards the JSB 15.89's averaged .70" for 45 five shot groups. The Air Arms Field Diablo 16.0 gr averaged .70" for 69 five shot groups. The Crosman Premier 14.3's averaged .77" for 45 groups.

A better trigger man will likely do better and that may be why there was not a huge difference between the Crosman's and the premium pellets for me. In addition, I tested in less than ideal conditions and wind will be a challenge shooting pellets past 25 yards. In conclusion, I can purchase three times more Crosman's than premier pellets and a 10% improvement in group is not enough to tip the scales for me. I did find more fliers with the cheap pellets but for plinking good enough is good enough.

I bought a few tins of Air Arms pellets for close range critter control, but after shooting in the wind it does not make sense in my situation. I live remotely and the 10/22 makes more sense for that role. Pellets are a challenge in the wind. The "fun" part is you can learn to dope the wind by shooting at 50-100 yards for $15/1000 instead of needing a 600 yard range and CF ammunition at over $500/1000.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by Brentona View Post
    No sticky fingers, slippery fingers, or errant hands on my pop-guns! Thank the Lord!
    Yes keeping Maggot Hands off your guns is the best way to keep them looking new.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Yes keeping Maggot Hands off your guns is the best way to keep them looking new.

Randy

Blue is blue and wood is new! Leave it be, lad!

27DEC2022

Did some shooting yesterday and set my camera up for it. Between that, squeezing in a last date with my bride, and editing, I didn’t quite finish the video edits. I should be finished with the video portion and just need to add some background music. It came out a little long in the tooth. Round about ten minutes of chit chat, group shooting, and blasting some sea shells. I’ll embed the video once complete and YouTube finalizes the upload in HD. Thanks you guys, and Merry Christmas!

- Brent

Had a blast shooting groups, shooting sea-shells, and shooting the s***! If ten minutes you have, take a seat and listen. If'n your pressed for time, there are easy to navigate Chapters to speed ya'long! Cheers!

- Brent

Brent: That Auto Safety is common to all Weihrauch Rifles. I have 4 and they all have the same safety. It is there so you don't inadvertently bump the trigger when the barrel is cocked open, which causes it to "Bear Trap. or snap shut. It is one of the most inobtrusive safeties out there, but you've got to remember to take it off before each shot. Luckily it is placed in a good position to do that.

I believe it started with the HW35 which came out in 1951. They still make that gun !

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100464672.JPG   100464621.JPG   100464619.JPG   100464625.JPG  
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 12-27-2022 at 07:08 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Brent: That Auto Safety is common to all Weihrauch Rifles. I have 4 and they all have the same safety. It is there so you don't inadvertently bump the trigger when the barrel is cocked open, which causes it to "Bear Trap. or snap shut. It is one of the most inobtrusive safeties out there, but you've got to remember to take it off before each shot. Luckily it is placed in a good position to do that.

I believe it started with the HW35 which came out in 1951. They still make that gun !

Randy
    Yessir! It’s a wonderful feature in my opinion!

the earlier ones like mine had no safeties at all - never bothered me when shooting targets, but always left it uncocked when i used to hunt with it -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Another tid bit: if you have pushed the safety off for a shot and decide not to shoot ,you can re engage it by just re-cocking the gun. The piston is still cocked but you cycle the barrel down so the piston goes down past the sear, and you'll see the safety pop out.

Also don't put any oil on it!!!!!!!!!!!!! it will get dry and sticky and you have to take the trigger out of the gun to clean it out.

Randy

HW50S - Tricking Volume 1
    https://youtu.be/Hg9k2gLbT5k

With the weather cooling down, it’s time to drag out the Airgun again! Too much fun!

Yes I'm shooting today as soon as the gardeners leave. it will be my 35EB with the Peep Sight.

Here's a pic of my 35E with the Bug Buster 3x9 on it and a target I shot, to confirm the JSB Pellets being best. It was shot off a 6x6 rest placed in line with the gun with a towel on top to allow the gun to recoil smoothly in the Artillery Hold. All groups were shot at 10 yards. The Ace of Clubs was shot back in 1978 with a Bushnell .22 Scope mounted on my 35 EB. I ran that scope for years until I got the Williams/Beeman Peep Sight and the gun never killed it.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100464663.JPG   100464024.jpg   100464672.JPG  
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 09-20-2023 at 05:47 PM.

Yes I'm shooting today as soon as the gardeners leave. it will be my 35EB with the Peep Sight.

Here's a pic of my 35E with the Bug Buster 3x9 on it and a target I shot, to confirm the JSB Pellets being best. It was shot off a 6x6 rest placed in line with the gun with a towel on top to allow the gun to recoil smoothly in the Artillery Hold. All groups were shot at 10 yards. The Ace of Clubs was shot back in 1978 with a Bushnell .22 Scope mounted on my 35 EB. I ran that scope for years until I got the Williams/Beeman Peep Sight and the gun never killed it.

Randy
    Great shooting!! I love a peep sight. I have more confidence with one than a scope at air gun distances. JSB’s seem to be a little undersized for the throat of my “chamber”. For my 50S, the 4.52 H&N Barracuda Match get the job done..

Poppin’ Pills - HW50S .177 : 12 & 20 Yards
    https://youtu.be/LCpAiyKIRWw

At the 20y line in the second half of this clip I found my pellets were all consistently flying about .5”-.75” high and left in unsupported prone. Once I had that info, it was game on!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12