Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: which marlin should I get?

Boolit Bub

which marlin should I get?

I need(want) a new gun. I think it's time for a lever 45-70. I was looking at the 1895GS that's the stainless one. Looks totally awesome. I also see a cowboy 1895 that holds like 10 cartridges. do these both handle the same pressures, or is the cowboy strictly like trapdoor loads for those SASS shooters? Any suggestions or info here?
    When they come for your guns, give 'em the ammo first.

Boolit Master
    The cowboy marlin will handle the same loads the guide gun will. I think your shoulder will tell you when to stop. Lever actions can be addictive. I have three marlins and three winnies. The marlin 444 I own was bought years ago as a beater for hunting in the swamps
    and state gamelands. It was beat up when I got it but shoots J bullets just fine. The 45-70 is a great cartridge and can be loaded down for nice plinking loads or cranked up. No sense hot rodding them though. Both the rifle and your shoulder will thank you. The worse lever action I ever fired was an origional 95 winchester in 405win. That crescent butt plate really let you know it was there. OUCH. Frank

Boolit Bub
    called the local gunshop. they says oh we just got a 1895 cowboy in today. well i go on down there they also had the stainless guide gun. wow those things are short so i got the cowboy. octagon barrel and everything

Boolit Master

You'll enjoy that Cowboy Gun. I have an 1895 Marlin and it is a blast with CB.
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Bub
    yep, I expect I will enjoy it. I have been saving my money for a while and couldn't decided what to get. I've always wanted a lever, I started looking at those marlins and it was all over. I initially like the stainless. But I saw that little gun, with that short barrel. I thought man I bet that will hurt with a full load . So I went with the cowboy, mainly cause I think its really cool. 9 + 1 shots, octagon barrel. I thought it handled really well for being close to 4 feet long. Did I mention I like the octagon barrel.
    Now what gun do I need next.
    Last edited by HickoryCreek; 01-18-2006 at 10:39 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Don't worry about your next rifle. Just set this one up properly (with a good recoil pad and good sights to your pleasure- I am nearly blind and quite partial to scopes). Buy a good mould and start casting. If you are gonna hunt with it, you might do what I just did. I bought a Lyman Gould 330 gr H.P. #457122. That will be my hunting bullet. Incidentally, the mould casts well and the bullet (25/1) falls out at .460"

I also am shooting the Lee 340 gr for practice. These rifles are accurate and really FUN to shoot. They will do a fine job in the field, also.

Congratulations!
    Dale53

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar

Whats the Cowboy feel like?

I have a 1895 which is the standard version with the straight grip. I fancy rebarrelling it to a cowboy, but I would be probably be better off buying a cowboy and selling the current one. The cowboys are mucho dear here in Australia. I must check out the prices. I could bet a Badger or similar barrel maybe.

They would be a bit nose heavy wouldn't they with a full mag?
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 4fingermick

They would be a bit nose heavy wouldn't they with a full mag?
    I imagine it will be a bit nose heavy loaded up. I do know that it was incredibly light not loaded.