RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coincidence - or not?

Boolit Master

Coincidence - or not?

Here is a little story for the group - I'll leave interpretation open to each individual.

Last Friday the 9th, I was sitting at work about 11:00 am, trying to decide what to eat for lunch. I had decided on a bowl of soup when a thought crossed my mind to get some barbecue. That was not an unusual decision but when I go to this particular restaurant, I always order a brisket sandwich - no exceptions. I've been going to this place weekly for about 8 years and am pretty predictable. However, I got there Friday and decided completely out of the blue, to order some loose sliced brisket and a bag of chips. I asked and paid for 1/4 lb. of sliced meat, but the plate showed up and they obviously gave me 1/2 lb. I mentioned the mistake and the kitchen said it was an accident; they could not take anything back after serving so please keep it. I wasn't hungry enough to eat everything, so I divided and packed the other serving in a to-go box with a piece of bread (there were 20 pieces of meat; I packed 10 and ate 10). Finished my lunch and drove back to the shop.

On the way back, I drove past a very young and thin girl walking down the access road with a backpack. I parked my car in our lot and listened to the end of a newscast, then walked into the front office to put the food in the refrigerator (which was also unusual because I work in a different area of the plant so normally go through a different door). While I was listening to the radio, I saw the girl sit down on our next-door neighbor's grass and drink some water from a bottle. It crossed my mind to offer her the meal, but saw she was eating a trail mix bar, so I just went inside. I put the to-go box in the fridge and turned to leave when the receptionist came around the corner and said there was a homeless person at the front desk asking for food. At this point, I figured it was just supposed to happen and I handed her the leftovers. The girl went back outside and sat on the grass to eat, then brought all of the trash back to dispose of properly. She then left and kept walking down the road - I saw her later that afternoon further down the highway when I drove home for the night.

I've heard the old saying that a million monkeys banging on typewriters will eventually write the Bible - and I know many people simply think we exist due to random bacteria getting together 9 billion years ago, but the odds of everything coming together for this girl to come in our office and get a meal are much worse than a roulette wheel at Vegas.

Feel free to draw your own conclusions.

Boolit Master

The Lord works in mysterious ways. Good post!

Boolit Master

I remain both Open Hearted and Jaded at the same time. We have many people in need of temporary assistance and if we are truly Christs followers we are admonished to help. Yet; at the same time we see the professional, organized, and self deterministic beggars/takers of our society who prey on the goodwill of others. Last week I watched a Minivan stop at a red light and out of it came 7 "Card Sign Board Beggars" who ran through stopped traffic to take up positions at strategic "Choke Points" across the various shopping areas - all waving their signs.

I am cautious to try and ensure that those I chose to support are really in need; knowing that many in true need are also those who are hesitant to ask for assistance. I believe our family is generous; but I try to keep in mind the Bible:

Matthew 6:3
    “But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:”
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    There are NO coincidences for a believer! Our eyes are open to the Holy Spirit's work in the lives of believers. All things work together for the GOOD of them that love the Lord! When we do good is counted to our credit, it has nothing to do with the receiver of the blessing, coming through us, from God.

Boolit Buddy
    A great story, and I applaud your (OP's) actions. However we don't need the pages of a book to tell us how to do right. And so many folks have lost that.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    I remain both Open Hearted and Jaded at the same time. We have many people in need of temporary assistance and if we are truly Christs followers we are admonished to help. Yet; at the same time we see the professional, organized, and self deterministic beggars/takers of our society who prey on the goodwill of others. Last week I watched a Minivan stop at a red light and out of it came 7 "Card Sign Board Beggars" who ran through stopped traffic to take up positions at strategic "Choke Points" across the various shopping areas - all waving their signs.

I am cautious to try and ensure that those I chose to support are really in need; knowing that many in true need are also those who are hesitant to ask for assistance. I believe our family is generous; but I try to keep in mind the Bible:

Matthew 6:3
    “But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:”
    I agree - this girl was not a professional panhandler but the ones who work the same corner everyday are not worth a second thought. I got snagged once in a parking lot by one of those people - a guy came up to my car window while I was waiting on my wife at the grocery store. He said he had left his wallet at home and needed a few bucks for gas money to drive the 30 miles to get home. He seemed sincere so I gave him $3. He thanked me and moved on to hit a few more cars then walked back to his truck. I figured he would get in and drive to the gas station but he just sat there for 20 minutes then started his circuit again. He walked up to me again and gave me the same story - I waited until he was done then said, "I already gave you some money". He immediately spun on his heels and almost ran away in the other direction.

I once asked our pastor about panhandlers - he said to follow your heart. If you think somebody is a scammer, let them go on by and only help those who seem sincere - but I've also been told to assist everyone who asks and let the Lord deal with the fakers in His own time.

Boolit Master
    Scammers come in many shapes and sizes. My wife and I had someone knock on our door with a sob story, as well as references from a local church.... Well, when you go that far with your story, expect people to check with the claimed sources. Turns out, they had a long history of working neighborhoods, and they were getting low on beer money. All that is to highlight the fact that the more complex the story, the easier it is to find the holes.
    Chicken Little has finally found an audience

Boolit Grand Master
    You were used by the Lord to do His work.
    Don Verna

Scammer or not doesn't matter. What does matter is your good intentions to help someone in need.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    There are NO coincidences for a believer! Our eyes are open to the Holy Spirit's work in the lives of believers. All things work together for the GOOD of them that love the Lord! When we do good is counted to our credit, it has nothing to do with the receiver of the blessing, coming through us, from God.
    Amen brother. No such thing as "luck", or coincidence in the plan God has for those that are His!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Grand Master

Reminds me of a family story.
    A hobo showed up at the grandparents asking for 2 crusts if bread, so thats what grandpa gave him. Grandma went off that there was a big pot of bean soup going. Grandpa pointed out the window at the bo feeding the crusts of bread to the dog. And told grandma if he was eating them I would have gone out and brought him back for some soup.

I wont give cash but I will buy them a meal usually a couple of the larger burgers on the drive thru menu fries and a drink.

Boolit Master
    I was travelling home from days hunting recently and following a large truck n trailer unit,spotted a wheel nut fly across road and recognised it in the ,maybe 2 seconds it was in view...raced past truck and flagged him down. he had lost most of nuts off one wheel including some wheel studs fallen out...the big fella upstairs puts us in places at certain times for a reason... just go with it.

HWooldridge,
    Thank you sir. Makes my day.

Boolit Master

Unless you believe that God controls absolutely everything in his creation, you have to allow for coincidences. The Bible does not teach that God controls everything and observation should lead one to that conclusion.

It is not God's desire that anyone go hungry. However, the Bible gives us guidance on providing charity. Paul told the Church that gifts of money and food should only go to those that could not provide for themselves. Men who could get jobs must do so or not eat. Widows who were young enough to contribute to a family should get re-married and do so and thus earn their living. Free stuff should only go to people who can't work for their living*.

I suspect that one of the main reasons that churches have food pantries is so they can give to those who ask for help is because of children. Children should not be made to suffer because of their parents' adverse behavior.

Many of the homeless are mentally ill or addicted to substances. Are these people responsible for themselves and their choices or are they unable to work and therefore should be supported through charity?

*The New Testament also talks about giving to those who were persecuted because they were Christians and couldn't earn a living. I don't know of anyone in the US in that situation yet. Then, of course, there was giving to those who were in the ministry and could not work because they were either too busy or away from their businesses. Paul worked at least occasionally while doing his missionary work, he was a tent maker. So it may be he did his best to support himself when he could rather than just taking gifts. I often wonder how many people in the "ministry" are truly busy 40 hours each week earning their salaries?

God rules. What needs to be tweaked gets tweaked. Therefore, yes, He controls everything.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    God rules. What needs to be tweaked gets tweaked. Therefore, yes, He controls everything.
    If you look at the history presented in the Bible, you will see God very rarely interferes with human events.

Just because God can do anything and everything doesn't mean he does or wants to.

Boolit Master
    Galatians 6: 7-10 Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. Whoever sows to please their flesh, from the flesh will reap destruction; whoever sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life. Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.

There is more in the context of this quoted scripture, but it seems obvious we are to "do good" when we are presented an opportunity!

The question remains. Does God put these opportunities before us to test us, or does God put these opportunities before us to bless us? Have you ever thought of an opportunity to do good as an opportunity to be blessed by God?

Personally, I don't believe we just meander through life, as I believe in the providence of God (as in "all things work together").

Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    If you look at the history presented in the Bible, you will see God very rarely interferes with human events.

Just because God can do anything and everything doesn't mean he does or wants to.
    What point you're trying to make escapes me. Divine intervention is a fact of life on planet Earth.
    As I previously stated:

And, I would add, He answers prayers.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    What point you're trying to make escapes me. Divine intervention is a fact of life on planet Earth.
    As I previously stated:

And, I would add, He answers prayers.
    My point, which is backed up by reading Scripture, is that God chooses to not control everything in our lives. Therefore, there are coincidences.

If you say he controls everything, you make him responsible for every evil act man commits. I don't think you would say that.

There is no doubt that God steps into the events of peoples' lives from time to time. But this is rare as evidenced by the Bible. God's work on this earth is mostly in men's hearts.

Does God answer prayers? Not all of them!

Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    My point, which is backed up by reading Scripture, is that God chooses to not control everything in our lives. Therefore, there are coincidences.

If you say he controls everything, you make him responsible for every evil act man commits. I don't think you would say that.

There is no doubt that God steps into the events of peoples' lives from time to time. But this is rare as evidenced by the Bible. God's work on this earth is mostly in men's hearts.

Does God answer prayers? Not all of them!
    No I don't "make him responsible for every evil act man commits". My point was as stated, that He tweaks what needs tweaking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast