Load DataRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: 760 rem clip voodoo?

Boolit Master

760 rem clip voodoo?

Sorry about the 760 rem posts but I am restocking one and working around it reminds me of the 1970’s in pa woods. In the Mennonite background I grew up in this gun(760) was almost as revered as taking communion. I lost my love for the gun because it was noisy, clips were hard to get in action correctly and many owners had lost a clip while hunting. I recently bought a 9 or 10 round clip and got to playing with it and the rifle. All my 760’s are as slicked and polished in the innards as is practical. This new clip right out of bag is a pain in the butt inserting in this gun. Ok, I will get it to work slicker than snot but not today. I dug a early 50’s rifle out and tried the clip in that one and it works perfect, much easier than factory clips. Now this clip fits horrible in 60’s but fits perfect in older one. Anyone else find or hear of this ? I love challenges in gun work and enjoy tinkering so no bother to me but I never found a difference in the receiver rails if you know what I mean.
    Look twice, shoot once.

If you REALLY love challenges, try a Remington 742. I am ashamed of the things I called these guns when trying to get them to shoot accurately. The magazines/clips were no work of art but when I had a bolt jump the track in a 30-06 742 while a huge buck stood there giggling at me, I forgot the clip issues. The receiver rail grooves in that gun were worn out. I don't think that 760's are subjected to as violent movements as 742's.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Did your 760 magazine come in Remington packaging? If not, poor fit might be attributable to a different manufacturer, or perhaps even the different eras of Remington manufacture. One thing for certain, mags for the 742 and 760 are becoming scarcer and more expensive!

DG

Boolit Master

I sold my 760 over clip issues, turned out the finish on the inside of the clip was to thick causing it to jam
    after the first shot.the guy I traded with had it running great by using a older clip.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master
    I have 3 mags for my 760. Never any trouble with any. Mine were 1970's magazines. I heard that Remington farmed out the later magazines to a subcontractor, and there was issues with them.

I was told that Remington gave a useful life expectancy of 800 rounds for the 742. A typical hunter, firing half a dozen shots a year, this would not be a real issue. Although the 760's were basically the same receiver, they did not take the beating of semi auto functioning, so they did not have this issue, and lasted a long time.

Boolit Master
    I have the 740,742,the newer version. I forget the number ( 74 ? ) and 760, when parts became nonexisant I understood they started making 742s into 760, I had issues with clip fit and reliability, just needed some loving touch, last I saw any clips for these guns they were over $50.00 @... As far as accuracy ? one or two shots OK then started to get barrel hot and would walk.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I have 3 7600’s. I ended up with a couple of aftermarket 10 round metal magazines from another member here. Could never get them through feed. In my 35 whelen. I ll have to try them in my 30-06. If not I’ll have to modify the feed ramp. I was told by Remington to bend the front of the feed lips on factory mags when I had feeding issues with my whelan. I’ve had zero feeding issues using the factory supplied magazines with all the other 7600’s I’ve owned over the years ACCEPT for the 35 whelen special run. I sent it back to Remington right before the bankruptcy. It now will feed jacketed bullets but still won’t feed cast.

Boolit Master

My dad bought a new Model 742 in 30/06 many years ago.

It was a one shot wonder,....most of the time,... sometimes you could get off a few more rounds before the cussing began!

We bought two more Remington mags to try and help the feeding/jamming problem. Waste of money. We polished the mag lips, tried different ammo....NO GO.

Remington must have copied the design the French Chauchat gun of WWI.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting