Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: What did I get 1911 magazines

Boolit Master

What did I get 1911 magazines

After skipping it for a few cycles this year I finally went back to the local “big” gun show. As has been the experience from the last show I attended if I was looking for off the shelf over priced guns, AR Lego accessories, red dots/optics, knives, tactical holsters and slings, overpriced ammo and beef jerky I would have been set. Reloading supplied and tables of, well, junk were few and far between. Of course anyone with primers seemed to believe they were gold plated, titanium boxed with an unobtanium bow by the prices they were asking.

I digress… back to the main point one of my goals was to add to the 5 gal pail of magazines I am apparently supposed to have as a 1911 45acp owner. Being an extremely frugal person of questionable parentage (ie cheap bastard) I walked past the folks with the overpriced EB, CM and other high end magazines. My hunt did lead me to obtaining a new and used 7 round magazine. I went to the inter webs and now know more than I want to about military mag marking but nothing on what I got.

The silver one is simply stamped Colt 45acp on the welded baseplate. The distinctive part is the curved rather than flat follower.

The second has no other markings other than the P in circles on the baseplate, otherwise a standard looking follower with hybrid feed lips. (ID'd By hylander Para-Ordinance)

What did I end up with?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	94024554-0DC8-4F0B-96CC-87C386AFC024.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	307958
    Last edited by metricmonkeywrench; 12-12-2022 at 08:35 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I have no idea what you have, but if they work, who cares. I have several different brands and configurations, the all run in the 45's.

Now the 9MM, 1911's, seem to be more finicky about what mags they like.

If you need some more inexpensive mags, send me a PM.

Boolit Master
    I believe those are Para Ordanance
    Failure is not an Option

Boolit Master
    Thanks Hylander, got a eyeball on that circle P logo now. Para Ordinance it is

That leaves the silver one with the odd follower.

Dave, will shoot you a PM

Boolit Grand Master
    They are not spec 1911 magazines. Some problems may occur due to their shortcomings.

Hybrid feed lips or hybrid magazines do not look like that. That type contains tapered feed lips, a flared release point, and a dimple on the follower for inertial reasons.

Boolit Master
    The curved follower appears to be a Pachmayer. Are the lips on that magazine tapered or parallel?
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

Boolit Master
    Is there an M and the colt logo stamped on the bottom of the colt magazine if so its a metalform corp that was made for colt that some oldtimer has put a pachmeyer follower in.
    Last edited by Der Gebirgsjager; 12-11-2022 at 11:46 AM.

Boolit Master
    Here is the difference for ammo. If you have a jam it could be the design.

Boolit Buddy
    Bill Laughridge @ Cylinder & Slide, who I suspect has forgotten more about Colt Govt Models than I have learned in a lifetime, once told me he'd never seen anything better than garden-variety Colt factory magazines, including the so-called premium magazines. My personal experience is that USGI magazines are also very reliable, particularly if new.

I would be leery of buying mystery magazines at a gunshow, but as a previous poster noted, if they work, who cares?

Boolit Master
    I used to be able to find 'premium' 1911 mags at the gun shows for short money; Chip McCormick and some others. Don't know why they were so cheap, they seem to run just fine in my 1991.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    CF Plinker By eye the lips appear parallel

No other markings on it other than the Colt over 45 acp as described before

Boolit Buddy

I have some of the round follower mags, among my bushel basket of 1911 magazines. I don’t know why. I guess I just had to try them. I never had feeding problems with any of my 1911’s. Just had to try a gimmick.
    Last edited by johniv; 12-13-2022 at 09:58 PM.

Boolit Master
    I'm thinking the silver one might be an old AMT magazine.

Boolit Mold
    Back in the day, Colt branded 1911 mags were the gold standard (don't know who actually made them); we preferred the satin nickel finished one as they seemed to be "slicker" and were easier to clean up. Then came the 47D Wilsons and the whole deal changed. No longer did one need dedicated mags for each .45ACP pistol as the Wilsons seemed to run in almost all .45 chambered guns. The Supers 9mms were still problematic until recently.

That said, we still have some original GI mags that are in service and they are just fine.
    Firearm's resale value should be your children's problem.
    NRA Life, USPSA # CL 58, IDPA A00556

In my use of the 1911, I’ve never had any issues with feeding and reliability except with Wilson combat and checkmate GI mags. I had one of the former that wouldn’t feed tc bullets. I had several of the latter that split on the back at the feedlip. One was checkmate made and kimber marked, others were straight checkmates.

Never an issue with Ed brown 7 & 8 rounders, Springfield stock mags made by metal form, shooting star mags, Ruger mags, colt mags, Kim pro 8 rounders.

Boolit Master

I don't know who made the "Silver one" But, I have 2 and they work just fine.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Master
    The only brand I ever bought were CM.

Before that I used GI 'salvage'. A gunsmith friend was kind of an expert in 'fixing' the feed problems on 1911 magazines. He had made himself mandrels for bending things back in place, feed lips, followers and springs. I think I had 20 of them before I stopped taking the handouts.

After he died I wanted a few more. CM's worked all the time for me and were not that expensive.

Boolit Grand Master
    Radius the corner with a small round file to eliminate the stress riser and the feed lips won’t crack very soon. Standard procedure on mine. Checkmates, that is.

These are standard with several brands of 1911s thankfully. Using the magazines the designer intended should always be an option.