Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Repackbox

Thread: Suggestions for WC860 in 25-06?

Boolit Master

Suggestions for WC860 in 25-06?

Several years ago I acquired 4 jugs of WC860 surplus powder when it was cheaper than now. By the time I got it, the urge to find something to shoot it in had passed. I'm now looking at trying to find loads(or even one) to shoot in a Ruger 77 .25-06 w/heavy barrel. Some time back I bought an assortment of .25 cal. j-words from a member here(I think). Might even try casting for the .25-06.

I've read several times that you need an oversize bore cartridge to come close to success with these slow powders. I an not real experienced in reloading for rifles other than a lot of reading and loading .30-06 for milsurps I would like to start developing a load or two for both light(87-90gr) bullets and heavier(100-117gr). It is doubtful that I'll do much more than shoot paper or coyotes(sp?).

Any advice would be helpful.
    John
    W.TN

I'd start at 90% case capacity and work up a grain at a time until you find the most accurate load. I doubt you can overload it with that powder but it should come fairly close to full performance. Keep in mind it will leave a fair bit of carbon fouling in the throat area so periodic cleaning with JB paste will be helpful.

Boolit Master

I have not used any WC860, but I have used several jugs of WC867 and WC872. Both of them like to be slightly compressed in 30 06 and 308 size cases.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

Thanks for the responses. Something tells me that I will eventually have to try this powder in the milsurps with cast. Even then I doubt that I will ever use up the WC860.
    John
    W.TN

Moderator Emeritus

http://www.castpics.net/LoadData/Surplus/default.html
    No data for 25-06 but plenty for the milsurps. I think as long as you have it slightly compressed you're fine but I would work up to it. I found it does best with minimal necking down like the 06.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    In almost all cals we have tryed it in, you get no velocity until 100 % load density then it will probably run 90-95% of factory velocity. Doesn’t do anything that the correct powers do but then it used to be .99 when we got it so economically speaking it did.
    One cartridge it did quite well in was a 34” 30-378 with 240 gr. It would run 3100 FPS with low pressure and decent accuracy. 120 gr powder IIRC

Moderator Emeritus

In the 30-06 I used it with 165-210 gr cast bullets. A full case plus a 4-6 gr fast rifle powder as a kicker gave me about 2350-2450 fps depending on bullet weight. (24" BBL) I used WC860 and WC872 interchangeably.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Starting data for H870 and AA8700 will get you going. Don't think you will be happy with WC860 and light bullets. Go with 120's and magnum primers. Work up slowly but as mentioned WC860 needs to be at about 100% load density for satisfactory results. Burning will "cleanup" when you get close to top end loads.
    If liars pants really did catch on fire, watching the news would be a lot more fun!

Boolit Master
    Many are loading 25-06 with Retumbo and it is over bore. i think it will work well in a 25-06.